Philippines tells China to F&^% off

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Re: Philippines tells China to F&^% off

Post by Apollo91881 »

Freightdog wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:56 pm I quite like that.

Ok, yes, there’s an expectation that a politician conduct themselves with some decorum (Herr Trump, maybe take note) when engaging with other parties.

The other alternative might be a shot across the bows, but the stakes are a little higher, here.

According to this map which I stole from the internet, (and haven’t checked any details contained within)

China could match the Philippines by expending the entire population of Guangdong, and barely feel a thing.
Except maybe breathe a little easier with less people to take care of.
China, like some other former Centres of communist excellence, rarely comes across as really taking care of her people (small p, the little people with individual lives) and cares more about the People (Big P, the heaving mass of the state, for the benefit of the few egos at the top)
That nationalist fervor works until you're the one standing in front of the meat grinder.
Since China hasn't engaged in any major conflicts recently (I'm ok being corrected if I'm wrong) the mass opinion of the country may change as relatives start dying.
Sure, they'll burn through some population to get there, but eventually someone is going to ask "why am I doing this?"
Lastly, once all of your boats are sunk, it doesn't matter how many people you have. You aren't going to swim to the Philippines, and who wants to be a paratrooper.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Brody wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:12 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:56 pm (Herr Trump, maybe take note)
He was voted out of office.
Gone but not forgotten.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:40 pm
Brody wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:12 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:56 pm (Herr Trump, maybe take note)
Gone but not forgotten.
Based on that photo, a precious memory with every bowel movement.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Apollo91881 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:23 pm That nationalist fervor works until you're the one standing in front of the meat grinder.
I don't know man, the Japanese were pretty well set to go down to the last man, until a couple nukes slapped some sense into the higher-ups.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

He really brought a lot of class to the office- all of it low.
The Hamberder King.
Apollo91881 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm Big Daikon wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 3:40 pm
Brody wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 3:12 pm
Freightdog wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 2:56 pm
(Herr Trump, maybe take note)
Gone but not forgotten.

Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

nemo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:08 pm He really brought a lot of class to the office- all of it low.
The Hamberder King.
Apollo91881 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm Big Daikon wrote: ↑Tue May 04, 2021 3:40 pm
Gone but not forgotten.

Fun diversion, now back to the Philippines.
Life could get interesting for them, especially if this escalates.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

nemo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:08 pm He really brought a lot of class to the office- all of it low.
The Hamberder King.
Gone but not forgotten.

Yeah, teach us about class nemo.

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

While comparing the over-all population of China against various countries one needs to remember who makes up the bulk of the armed forces.
Young men
And it was only recently that China relaxed its 1 child policy. So we have an entire military formed from the single off-spring of a couple... and lets not forget the 2 sets of grand-parents whose only grand child is off to die for his country.

And then we come to the allies.... All that BRI cash possibly bought a few allies but if they switch sides all debts are off and they keep what cash they gleaned already. It is interesting to note the lack of alarm from some of the hardline muslim countries over the treatment of the Uyghurs and Pakistan will almost certainly align with China. Russia? I doubt it. For the same reason the brits hate/dislike/mock the french.... hundreds of years of wars and conflicts. It's the same for Russia and China. Since Saudi Arabia has a mutual defence treaty (or something.. I forget with out looking it up) with pakistan and with them being the same flavour of Islam it is likely they will also fall into the Chinese camp.
Iran, on the other hand, will almost certainly fall into the western allies camp.

So, China + pakistan (and allied muslim countries of the same flavour of Islam) Vs ??? USA, NATO block, Aus, Russia, India??
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I don't believe future wars will rely on infantry head count except as body count.
Technology will be the deciding factor.
The high ground of space will be very important.
Anyone seen the freaky "navy patents" ?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4adpv9/ ... of-reality

Next month there is going to be some allegedly groundbreaking press release from USG regarding unexplained aerial phenomena.
There is a high likelihood they are made by humans.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Apollo91881 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:19 pm Fun diversion, now back to the Philippines.
Not a total diversion imho. I thought Trump and Duterte rubbed off on each other.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic