Work Permit Update

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Work Permit Update

Post by taabarang »

Nothing new, no details, same old tired threats of a scam. Go to:
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/business/ ... its-81328/
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Work Permit Update

Post by Soi Dog »

If I recall correctly, you said you and your wife opened a school? Perhaps only your wife does the teaching and a work permit requirement doesn't apply to your case.

But If you are doing any teaching, and charging fees, or performing any service that brings you income within Cambodia, then you are working and would legally require a work permit. I can't think of any country that doesn't have a similar law. Nothing underhanded about enforcing that law.
Last edited by Soi Dog on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Yup, the law is valid.

I haven't spoken to nay teachers who feel that a work permit is a scam. However, almost without exception, they feel the back-dating of fees is a scam at worst and a nasty, unnecessary act at best.

And when you remember that re-offending paedophiles are allowed to stay, the context of nailing teachers, and blatantly ignoring the fact that it is THE EMPLOYER'S responsibility, it gets a little thick.

If they had been so thorough in the inspection of schools and universities being set up in the first place, this would never have happened.

And the 'medical' component is a blatant scam.

Height/weight, a question or two, and $25. Around 2 minutes work.

I hear that restaurant/bar owners are going to be targeted as well. Welcome to Thailand.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

I find it interesting, and not in the least surprising, how justice is being applied unevenly here. It seems that those who work in big business aren't having any problems with lack of receipts or excessive tea money. Meanwhile, teachers who make a far modest income with less ability to defend themselves, are getting fleeced.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

vladimir wrote:Yup, the law is valid.

I haven't spoken to nay teachers who feel that a work permit is a scam. However, almost without exception, they feel the back-dating of fees is a scam at worst and a nasty, unnecessary act at best.

And when you remember that re-offending paedophiles are allowed to stay, the context of nailing teachers, and blatantly ignoring the fact that it is THE EMPLOYER'S responsibility, it gets a little thick.

If they had been so thorough in the inspection of schools and universities being set up in the first place, this would never have happened.

And the 'medical' component is a blatant scam.

Height/weight, a question or two, and $25. Around 2 minutes work.

I hear that restaurant/bar owners are going to be targeted as well. Welcome to Thailand.
I agree with all of the above. Yes, my wife teaches, but I would hardly call it a school. I only teach my wife from time to time, but as a concerned husband with no salary. I have been retired for years now and of course my concern is that they will have a retirement visa, one that will price me out of my house and home. There is also a home stay that is also in my wife's name. My wife does all the cooking, translating and cleaning. I schmooz from time to time with the guests so I can keep fluency in French and German. I designed the home stay around her abilities; my sole source of income is a modest Social Security check.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic