Monkeys coming inside homes

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Monkeys coming inside homes

Post by Kuroneko »

Matty9999 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:51 pm
atst wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:23 pm Is there an increase in the monkeys in phnom penh coming inside homes, I remember early on in covid thailand had monkeys roaming the streets looking for food
Not sure if this qualifies but I have a female friend who was bitten by a large male monkey. He lives in the roof of her building and as she was coming home, for some reason he was near the front of the house and came at her, causing her to fall and hit her head as she got off her motorbike. Shes ok.
Just FYI be very careful with monkey bites and make sure the wound is thoroughly cleaned , the bites can transmit Rabies, and a few other unpleasant infections, and it is a good idea to keep your tetnus shot up to date. There is plenty of info on treating monkey bites on the net so I wont post any links. Glad she is ok.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

We had the problem of monkeys coming to sit on our balcony whenever they felt like it. I got close to one of them a few times and it seemed harmless enough but it was still annoying that we couldn't leave our door open for fear of them coming inside.

So I got my bluetooth speaker one day when they were outside, found a recording of a lions roar on YouTube and played it very loud in their direction. They couldn't run away fast enough and have never been back since.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

atst wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:41 pm
simon43 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:31 pm That was in Lop Buri, which has a large, resident monkey population that relies on tourists for food. No tourists = a lot of hungry monkeys!
I'm thinking around 172st
Haven't seen them on 172 for at least a month. At the start of the year it was everyday but not anymore
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

There was a post on Facebook a couple of months back. An expat who owns a bar on 172 and lives somewhere in that area had a monkey invasion in his apartment. He banged his head while shooing them out. He posted some photos of the aftermath, both the state of the kitchen and his bloody head. Nice guy, and he did see the funny side
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

A mate who lives centrally said he was surprised by a monkey suddenly turning up a few feet from him on his balcony recently. It wasn't the monkey that disturbed him so much as the fact it had a dead kitten in its mouth.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The monkeys came back last week. One jumped on the back of the 6yr old. Scared the crap out of her, but didn’t bite or scratch. Kid was a bit hysterical for an hour. St154, near to junction with St19.
SWMBO is talking about changing apartments again as a result.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 pm A mate who lives centrally said he was surprised by a monkey suddenly turning up a few feet from him on his balcony recently. It wasn't the monkey that disturbed him so much as the fact it had a dead kitten in its mouth.
I have seen this as well. I don't think they deliberately kill them but don't know how to handle them gently/safely. Or maybe they do and I'm just naive.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

cautious colin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:18 pm
atst wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:41 pm
simon43 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:31 pm That was in Lop Buri, which has a large, resident monkey population that relies on tourists for food. No tourists = a lot of hungry monkeys!
I'm thinking around 172st
Haven't seen them on 172 for at least a month. At the start of the year it was everyday but not anymore
Maybe they all went to Kampot and Kep?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic