Another record day in India - 402,110 new cases today

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Another record day in India - 402,110 new cases today

Post by yong »

https://wap.business-standard.com/artic ... 089_1.html

Coronavirus LIVE: India logs 402,110 new cases; Dr Fauci suggests lockdown
BS Web Team | New Delhi | Last Updated at May 01 2021 08:16 IST

Coronavirus live updates: Breaking all records, India on Saturday reported a massive surge of 402,110 cases, Worldometer showed this morning. With this, India became the first country in the world to register over 400,000 infections in a single day. As many as 3,522 new deaths were also reported on the day.

The cumulative caseload stands at 19,157,094 and the death toll from the virus has reached 211,835. India now has nearly 3.3 million active cases. India has reported 2,497,675 number of fresh cases in mere seven days. India's armed forces were on Friday granted emergency financial powers to augment their efforts in the battle against Covid-19, the second wave of which has brought devastation to the country in the past few weeks. They will establish and operate hospitals, quarantine facilities, and to undertake procurement of Covid-specific equipment without the usual clearances.

Maharashtra reported 62,919 infections, followed by Karnataka (48,296), and Kerala (37,199) in the past 24 hours. Maharashtra also recorded 828 casualties, followed by Delhi (375) and Uttar Pradesh (332).

The six most affected states by total cases are Maharashtra (4,602,472), Kerala (1,571,183), Karnataka (1,488,118), Uttar Pradesh (1,252,324), Tamil Nadu (1,148,064), and Delhi (1,074,916).
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Another record day in India - 402,110 new cases today

Post by Doc67 »

The cumulative caseload stands at 19,157,094 and the death toll from the virus has reached 211,835. India now has nearly 3.3 million active cases.

That 19,157,094 sounds like a lot, but it is only 1.3% of the population of 1,400,000,000.

It's jut got started and the vaccine can't come quick enough.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I feel like China and India are the two examples the world should be looking to to compare how different responses work / don't work. They both have massive populations with huge, crowded cities and are both developing countries with all the issues that go with being a developing country so they're comparable in that way.

China: Shut down almost immediately, had a rough 6 weeks or whatever it was then opened up but were careful about not letting the virus get out of hand again.Life is pretty much business as usual for people there now.

India: Started off doing quite well, decided to treat the virus as if it wasn't as issue anymore and now after a short time it's a trainwreck. To me, India should be a cautionary tale to the world right now - this could happen anywhere.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Doc67 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:56 am
The cumulative caseload stands at 19,157,094 and the death toll from the virus has reached 211,835. India now has nearly 3.3 million active cases.

That 19,157,094 sounds like a lot, but it is only 1.3% of the population of 1,400,000,000.

It's jut got started and the vaccine can't come quick enough.
Those numbers are believed to be hugely underestimated too though but yeah, it just got started. It's going to horrible watching this play out.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Brazil is more greatly impacted in terms of deaths per million. I read the daily death rate from covid is lowering in Brazil though, while India’s increases.

Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Random Dude wrote:I feel like China and India are the two examples the world should be looking to to compare how different responses work / don't work. They both have massive populations with huge, crowded cities and are both developing countries with all the issues that go with being a developing country so they're comparable in that way.

China: Shut down almost immediately, had a rough 6 weeks or whatever it was then opened up but were careful about not letting the virus get out of hand again.Life is pretty much business as usual for people there now.

India: Started off doing quite well, decided to treat the virus as if it wasn't as issue anymore and now after a short time it's a trainwreck. To me, India should be a cautionary tale to the world right now - this could happen anywhere.
China didn’t publish any data, we don’t know how many cases, deaths, percentage of vaccination, etc. Officially the country is Covid free so I don’t understand why so many Chinese travelers are tested positive on arrival at the airport…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Nicolas wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm
Random Dude wrote:I feel like China and India are the two examples the world should be looking to to compare how different responses work / don't work. They both have massive populations with huge, crowded cities and are both developing countries with all the issues that go with being a developing country so they're comparable in that way.

China didn’t publish any data, we don’t know how many cases, deaths, percentage of vaccination, etc. Officially the country is Covid free so I don’t understand why so many Chinese travelers are tested positive on arrival at the airport…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, you're right. I have no doubt there are cases out there and I'm just as sure the government is full of shit as far as official numbers go but still,Chinese cities are open, everything is operating as usual and the recent outbreaks they've had have been acted on and stopped.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

From what I've read and speaking with a few former colleagues that live in India, its likely the numbers being published are off by as much as 100% if not more.

One gentleman that lives in a smaller city told me that the official number of deaths keep saying 24, 33, 17, 29, etc. Yet the crematories are having many multiples of those numbers of dead to cremate. Its tough to know how understated the numbers are as people die in the normal course of life. But its no exaggeration that the crematories cannot keep up with the current situation. Small crematories that used to do 5-10 a day are now trying to do 50-75+ where this gentleman lives, with some people literally travelling outside the city with corpses to find available wood to do it themselves.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/28/asia ... index.html (actually April 29)
  • India have only purchased enough vaccines for 8% of the population. And that's nearly gone.
[list11 doses per 100 people have been administered - 11% (doses vs vaccines)][/list]
  • Indian has it's own vaccine, Covaxin, "developed jointly by Bharat Biotech and the government-run Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)".
  • Serum Institute of India (SII), is the world's largest vaccine maker
  • ..."state ministers have warned there simply aren't enough vaccines even if more people become eligible."Say-what-to-who, now? By "people", are they referring to private companies? Can anyone mix up a batch? If referring to eligible for the vaccine, then that statement is not that surprising.
  • "As of April 28, India had exported a total of 66 million vaccine doses to countries across the world, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs."
    "as of"? They haven't stopped?

If the stuff purchased is almost out, use your own (hopefully) free supplies.

I'm not the world's smartest person (be in the top 10, I guess), but I'm sharper than a marble, and I can pour water out of a boot (so long as the instructions are on the heal), but it doesn't seem to add up.

I tried to type a bit slower, this time.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

violet wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:36 am Brazil is more greatly impacted in terms of deaths per million. I read the daily death rate from covid is lowering in Brazil though, while India’s increases.

Assuming that graph is right/accurate, that really puts things into context and is very telling.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic