Replacing US passport with a long Cambodia visa overstay?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Replacing US passport with a long Cambodia visa overstay?

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Yes, that’s the one. Constantly confused for being the nanny, and none to pleased about it.

Our daughter the same. I was really wishing they wouldn’t be so white like me, damned sunburn.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

terrifiedanimal wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:26 pm
I feel bad for those kids. Dad's already circling the drain and I think they should get their births registered before he completely wastes away and leaves them with no way to claim their citizenship to the US. They're in no position to utilize those passports and it won't make their lives much different, but seeing as how the two oldest are excelling in school, at least they'd have the option study abroad, or to work in the US or abroad without going through some usurious employment agency. I'd be happy to see that scumbag leave the planet, but not before his kids get their births registered.

I'm not even sure if all of the kids can qualify, since their dad lived abroad for so long before the last two kids were born. My own son was born in Phnom Penh, and I had to show that I had resided in the US some years before. That was 15 years ago, so I don't remember all of the details. Any info would be appreciated.
I don't think it matters how long you have lived abroad, quick quote from the internet:
If you were born to parents, at least one of whom was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth, you'll automatically gain U.S. citizenship through the process of acquisition in many cases. It doesn't matter whether you were born on U.S. or foreign soil.
They're in no position to utilize those passports and it won't make their lives much different...
That might seem like the case at the moment when prospects seem slim with a deadbeat father. However, I completely disagree with you. A US passport and citizenship is a huge advantage, as is my son's EU passport and citizenship. It allows huge opportunities in travel and emigration. Unfortunately Cambodians do not have anything like the freedom of movement some of us do.

Compare these maps, the gray areas are where you need a visa in advance, the green ones are basically free entry or visa on arrival. :
Visa requirements for Cambodian Citizens (note that the ASEAN green countries will only allow you a limited visit and afterwards you will be required to get a long term visa like any other foreigner) :

Visa Requirements for US citizens:

Visa Requirements for Irish Citizens (blue is total freedom of movement, as in you can visit/ move there at will):
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

agree US passport is a asset as one has no idea what the future holds
BUT he needs file the CRBA

Am not sure he can file that for his kids on an expired passport and to get anew one he needs show his old one,
if he does not have his old one he needs get a new one
to get a new one he needs a police report.

his first step is contact the embassy NOT ask non us citizens here

Good luck,

Ta barang also never got his kids their CRBA's before he passed, his wife was lucky an got them!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic