Villager and Seven Cows Struck Dead by Lightning

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Villager and Seven Cows Struck Dead by Lightning

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Kampong Thom): On April 28, 2021, the competent police of Damrey Slab commune administrative post said that on April 27, a bolt of lightning struck at 4:24 pm in Lvea Chom and Krasaing village, Trapeang Russey commune, Kampong Svay district, causing the death of one person and the death of seven cows.
The victim, Sieng Chhoeun, a 55-year-old man, resided in Lvea Chom village, Trapeang Russey commune, Kampong Svay district. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Frankl
Expatriate

Re: Villager and Seven Cows Struck Dead by Lightning

Post by Frankl »

RIP .....I hope your loved ones left behind are not left destitute as a result of your passing.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Why do situations like this happen so often here?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Frankl wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:47 am RIP .....I hope your loved ones left behind are not left destitute as a result of your passing.
I don't want to belittle the passing of a human being and he will be missed by his family, but does anyone know what happens (if anything), when a family has their entire cattle herd decimated by natural causes like this ? Seven cattle is a big investment to lose. Does the village chief/state step up and help them, or is it just tough luck for the family, and now they are poor ?
Spoiler:
(When I have questions like this about village life, I miss taabarang. RIP.)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

There the most fattiest clean looking cows I've seen in cambodia , this happens alot here, I don't hear about this ever happening in aus or NZ
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BillDoe wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:19 am Why do situations like this happen so often here?
Most of the country is an alluvial plain, so it's incredibly flat. There are also plenty of waterlogged areas. So the tropical storms that occur regularly don't have many high points to hit, they just whack down and electrocute the hell out of everything nearby. Cambodia is lucky in that it has very little seismic activity and most typhoons from the South China Sea are dissipated before they land here, the Annamite range helps a lot in this. We don't get Tsunamis either. However, we have one of the highest rates of deaths from lightening in the world. It's just one of those play offs.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:20 am
Frankl wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:47 am RIP .....I hope your loved ones left behind are not left destitute as a result of your passing.
I don't want to belittle the passing of a human being and he will be missed by his family, but does anyone know what happens (if anything), when a family has their entire cattle herd decimated by natural causes like this ? Seven cattle is a big investment to lose. Does the village chief/state step up and help them, or is it just tough luck for the family, and now they are poor ?
Spoiler:
(When I have questions like this about village life, I miss taabarang. RIP.)
I don't think an electrocuted cow has much or any value. Cows are expensive here. They aren't used for milk or even beef much, more as a pack animal and store of wealth. So yes, if your entire heard is electrocuted that pretty much means your family fortune is ruined.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

atst wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:23 am There the most fattiest clean looking cows I've seen in cambodia , this happens alot here, I don't hear about this ever happening in aus or NZ
I saw a couple of cows that had been hit by lightning once in NZ. The farmer said something like 'bugger, oh well' and that was that.
I assume it happens regularly enough but it's not going to financially ruin anyone so would probably never make it into the newspapers.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:20 am
atst wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:23 am There the most fattiest clean looking cows I've seen in cambodia , this happens alot here, I don't hear about this ever happening in aus or NZ
I saw a couple of cows that had been hit by lightning once in NZ. The farmer said something like 'bugger, oh well' and that was that.
I assume it happens regularly enough but it's not going to financially ruin anyone so would probably never make it into the newspapers.
I imagine they have insurance.
:thumb:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:30 am
BillDoe wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:19 am Why do situations like this happen so often here?
Most of the country is an alluvial plain, so it's incredibly flat. There are also plenty of waterlogged areas. So the tropical storms that occur regularly don't have many high points to hit, they just whack down and electrocute the hell out of everything nearby. Cambodia is lucky in that it has very little seismic activity and most typhoons from the South China Sea are dissipated before they land here, the Annamite range helps a lot in this. We don't get Tsunamis either. However, we have one of the highest rates of deaths from lightening in the world. It's just one of those play offs.
But seven cows and the owner?

Does the lightening hit the ground near them and electrify the water in which they are ankle deep? I thought once it is earthed that is it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic