Brazilian Woman NATALIA MONTONI Killed in Kampot Road Accident

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Brazilian Woman NATALIA MONTONI Killed in Kampot Road Accident

Post by Marty »

Captain Bonez wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:40 am Cambodian people do not give one single fuck about anyone around them when it comes to driving or music. They will run you over or play ear-splittingly loud music without blinking an eye. Don't say anything though or you're the cunt.
Irresponsible speeding expats have run over Cambodians too:

newsworthy/barangs-involved-fatal-accident-t16687.html
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Marty wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:20 am
Captain Bonez wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:40 am Cambodian people do not give one single fuck about anyone around them when it comes to driving or music. They will run you over or play ear-splittingly loud music without blinking an eye. Don't say anything though or you're the cunt.

Definitely, but I'd say the locals are winning by a large majority
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Captain Bonez wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:10 pm
Marty wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:20 am

Definitely, but I'd say the locals are winning by a large majority
That’s because there are far more locals.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Stiliko wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:13 am
The police determined that the victim was hit by a car that was being driven in the same direction from south to north;
This happened close to or at the International Village connection with SR 3
North means she had to be heading back to downtown Kampot where she probably lived.

Discovered at 7:30 - that’s well before curfew.

Because the perp didn’t stop she probably pretty much bled out on the road. Minutes count in trauma situations. Those precious minutes were burned in a selfish callous indifference.

I know there are no stats on hit&runs here but It’s safe to say the person who stops is the exception and the ones who run are well north of 90%. It seems to be a cultural thing. It’s root? Who knows?
I admit to being pretty ignorant about how things work in Cambodia but I'm guessing it's like most other places, if you hit and kill someone on the road there will be consequences. Possible prison time and everything that goes along with that,compensation paid to the family which could be the financial ruin of your family... I'm not excusing it but I can see why people run if they think they can get away with it, especially when you factor in the shock and panic aspect.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

There is something to be said for this... agree, agree agree, I was almost snuffed out by a reckless motorcyclist riding the wrong way on a divided highway, he saw me so he veered, but i wasn't looking that way, because traffic is supposed to have been coming from the other direction and the light was red.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Like so many here, of the opinion that the driver was negligent and probably at fault but is this a rush to judgement?
----------------------------------------------------------

A Rush to Judgement?

Is it any wonder people involved in accidents run away if they are able to after being involved in an accident.

I re-read the OP before commenting to confirm the details of the accident.... of which there are almost none.
The only thing we know with certainty is:-

perp and the victim were traveling in the same direction.
the car hit the moto and killed the rider.
the rider ended up on the verge/edge of the road.
the driver fled the scene

There is no photo of the accident (well none posted and included in the discussion) and these often provide visual clues as to things such as.. position of vehicles on the road etc.

Now, yes, we all know Khmer drivers are un-skilled and down-right dangerous behind the wheel. But, does that rule hold true for all Khmer drivers?

BUT HE LEFT THE SCENE!!! ..... yes he did... but was he at fault? Until more info about the accident is available we can't know for sure.
Posters have given a few reasons why people leave the scene and someone even mentioned it is actually advised by insurance companies. Why? Because people are quick to judge and dispense justice.

Just an observation....
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

If he/she left the scene, they're a perp.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:32 pm Like so many here, of the opinion that the driver was negligent and probably at fault but is this a rush to judgement?
----------------------------------------------------------

A Rush to Judgement?

Is it any wonder people involved in accidents run away if they are able to after being involved in an accident.

I re-read the OP before commenting to confirm the details of the accident.... of which there are almost none.
The only thing we know with certainty is:-

perp and the victim were traveling in the same direction.
the car hit the moto and killed the rider.
the rider ended up on the verge/edge of the road.
the driver fled the scene

There is no photo of the accident (well none posted and included in the discussion) and these often provide visual clues as to things such as.. position of vehicles on the road etc.

Now, yes, we all know Khmer drivers are un-skilled and down-right dangerous behind the wheel. But, does that rule hold true for all Khmer drivers?

BUT HE LEFT THE SCENE!!! ..... yes he did... but was he at fault? Until more info about the accident is available we can't know for sure.
Posters have given a few reasons why people leave the scene and someone even mentioned it is actually advised by insurance companies. Why? Because people are quick to judge and dispense justice.

Just an observation....

There should be a photo that appears to show someone laying on the pavement with a blurred out image on another site, however i do not know if this is a photo of the victim or just whatever was left in that spot after she was taken away. Given the photo it is entirely possible that they took the photos, then transported her to the hospital as deceased. I am not really sure how things work around here, but maybe the article is not correct.

Second point.. its entirely possible that the other vehicle simply didn't see the person he or she had hit, and third point, its entirely possible that she skidded off the bike for some other reason, perhaps an animal or something.

Last... I just checked the photo, it does appear that they bothered to take photos of her (blurred out) BEFORE they put her inside the ambulance! Perhaps they declared her dead beforehand. Anyone else with any comments?
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Let's try this again, apparently posting a link to that site is super Verboten!

Well, you could make it easier to embed images.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Josh_76 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:03 pm Let's try this again, apparently posting a link to that site is super Verboten!

Well, you could make it easier to embed images.

Hello all,
The accident photos were posted on darknet forum.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic