Overstayed British Teacher to be Deported from Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Overstayed British Teacher to be Deported from Siem Reap

Post by Alex »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:59 pm Sometimes I think certain people need for aid workers to be useless or harmful in order to make themselves feel better about the fact that their own presence here is driven by naked economic exploitation.
Bunch of old men coming over to stretch out their pensions, paying impoverished teenagers $10 to service their tiny cocks, trying to tell themselves that they’re better than those pesky young kids coming over to help lift people out of poverty.
You seem to be a bit of an idiot. Not all of us are old. Not all of us who aren't teachers or NGO workers are retired.

I'll give you an example. I moved to Bangkok at age 30 to manage an IT company. We've trained dozens of Thais (and also a few Khmers) in highly qualified and well paid jobs since we opened shop here. NGOs, on the other hand, would put themselves out of business if they truly lifted people out of poverty. What a load of horse shite.

I'll bow to your expertise with regards to $10-a-pop underage sex workers though.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Alex wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:00 pm NGOs, on the other hand, would put themselves out of business if they truly lifted people out of poverty. What a load of horse shite.
This is a preposterous level of projection - just because you’re focussed on the bottom line of the annual balance sheet, doesn’t mean everyone else is.

The “charities don’t want to put themselves out of business” is a cynical canard trotted out by people who assume that because they themselves are primarily motivated by money, it must mean that NGO workers are also only doing it for the paycheck.

It’s such a disturbingly misanthropic world view to have, that your heart must be truly hardened.

It’s also facile because it implies they could easily fix the whole country and bring it to developed status in 5 years if they weren’t deliberately sabotaging themselves.
Last edited by nerdlinger on Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 pmI've known many NGO workers over the years too, many are fine upstanding people but many of them were partial to some somewhat seedy nightlife too - others were downright crooks.
Yeah sure, this is sort of my point, that everyone’s different so it seems sus the way that “NGO” seems to be used as a pejorative, like the default assumption is they’re all money-grubbing holier-than-thou kiddy-fiddlers by default, whereas the single older male retiree stereotype is verboten because that’s what makes up half the forum...
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Alex wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:00 pm
I'll bow to your expertise with regards to $10-a-pop underage sex workers though.
This you? post386759.html#p386759

Also worth noting that I hadn’t called anyone out by name, so it’s interesting to see which people are reacting the most strongly to what I’d posted.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:43 pm ..... whereas the single older male retiree stereotype is verboten because that’s what makes up half the forum...
Some of us have been here since we were relatively young but decided to stay. I find it particularly pathetic that some totally inexperienced jumped-up imbeciles straight out of college with no real world experience think they know better and can get so judgemental about people they know nothing about. Sure, there are some creepy old westerners around, but that's a very small demographic. Guess what? Many of the us have been doing our best to develop this country since when you were still in junior school.
Cambodia has developed a lot over the past couple of decades. It looked a bit rough and ready for a while but gradually that changed and it got particularly popular a few years back with a lot of digital nomads and hipsters with beards and quiffs and sleeve tattoos. Guess what again? None of those people had any real interest in Cambodia or its people and have pretty much all fucked off now. Good riddance, demographics change and if you are not cut out for it goodbye. 8)
Last edited by John Bingham on Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:33 am
nerdlinger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:43 pm ..... whereas the single older male retiree stereotype is verboten because that’s what makes up half the forum...
Some of us have been here since we were relatively young but decided to stay. I find it particularly pathetic that some totally inexperienced jumped-up imbeciles straight out of college with no real world experience think they know better and can get so judgemental about people they know nothing about. Sure, there are some creepy old westerners around, but that's a very small demographic. Guess what? Many of the us have been doing our best to develop this country since when you were inb junior school.
Cambodia has developed a lot over the past couple of decades. It got particularly popular a few years back with a lot of digital nomads and hipsters with beards and quiffs and sleeve tattoos not so long ago. Guess what again? None of those people had any real interest in Cambodia or its people and have pretty much all fucked off now. Good riddance, demographics change and if you are not cut out for it goodbye. 8)
This comes off an awful lot like gatekeeping, like it's Your Cambodia.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What's your point? Did I upset you because my description hit too close to the bone? It's never going to be my Cambodia, and anyway you can just disregard my opinion because you're the "young generation - and you've got something to say". Like the Monkees.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Mr Bingham can come across as a grumpy sod from time to time but quite obviously has a lot of experience and shares good information. Your earlier post nerdlinger, came across as trying to paint a large number of expats in a bad light. Cambodia has a wide range of expats and painting them all with the same brush will often result is negative feedback.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

There are plenty of awful people in all sorts of professions and groups, it's just that when one has lower barriers to entry it means a large pool of certain people is opened up. Nothing too controversial or crazy. If certain ways or whatever are not to your taste then that's fine too. Cambodia itself is known to be pretty damn easy to get into before now. :popcorn:
:thumb:
Crackers
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Crackers »

The teaching landscape in Cambodia has changed significantly over the last decade. There are fewer opportunities for backpackers to walk into teaching jobs these days. Many of the international schools only hire qualified educators. In fact, there are many excellent teachers working in Phnom Penh - they often stay for two years and move on, which is quite normal on the international school circuit. To live in Cambodia as a teacher, and to earn a decent salary, you would need to be qualified. I am not suggesting there are not exceptions, but this is the general situation. There are not as many English language 'diploma mills' as there once were. I agree that 'back in the day' teaching in Cambodia was somewhat murky world, but I do not believe that to be the case now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic