Overstayed British Teacher to be Deported from Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Overstayed British Teacher to be Deported from Siem Reap

Post by siliconlife »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:06 pm
siliconlife wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 pm Teachers are deplorable compared to what profession in Cambodia? Big business? Aid work? Diplomacy? Tourism? Hardly reputable fields on the whole either if you ask me.
I’ve never in my life seen a group of people with such a big hate-on for aid workers than CEO. I think this says a lot more about CEO than it does about aid workers...
I don't hate aid workers any more than I hate any of the other professions (as mentioned). At least as many pedophiles and unskilled people in aid work as in teaching, so it's no surprise about their reputation. Driving around in their cars, etc. Really makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why people think less of teachers than them. Both as bad/good as each other on the whole.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

siliconlife wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 pm Teachers are deplorable compared to what profession in Cambodia? Big business? Aid work? Diplomacy? Tourism? Hardly reputable fields on the whole either if you ask me.
I’ve never in my life seen a group of people with such a big hate-on for aid workers than CEO. I think this says a lot more about CEO than it does about aid workers...
What's not to hate about aid workers?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Alex wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:08 pm
Some of them are trying to help people in need ?
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

I would personally rather be around rich NGO kids "working" on whatever their organization does than be near a teacher who is no more qualified to work at a McDonald's.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:45 pm
I'll keep that in mind, in case I ever meet one who falls into that category. Thanks.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

BillDoe wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:51 pm I would personally rather be around rich NGO kids "working" on whatever their organization does than be near a teacher who is no more qualified to work at a McDonald's.
and the rich NGO kids would be qualified at what?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Alex wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:25 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:45 pm
I'll keep that in mind, in case I ever meet one who falls into that category. Thanks.
Shouldn't be too difficult. There's loads of people in need ATM
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Sometimes I think certain people need for aid workers to be useless or harmful in order to make themselves feel better about the fact that their own presence here is driven by naked economic exploitation.
Bunch of old men coming over to stretch out their pensions, paying impoverished teenagers $10 to service their tiny cocks, trying to tell themselves that they’re better than those pesky young kids coming over to help lift people out of poverty.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

atst wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:26 pm
BillDoe wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:51 pm I would personally rather be around rich NGO kids "working" on whatever their organization does than be near a teacher who is no more qualified to work at a McDonald's.
and the rich NGO kids would be qualified at what?
Providing aid using which ever liberal arts degree they have
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:59 pm Sometimes I think certain people need for aid workers to be useless or harmful in order to make themselves feel better about the fact that their own presence here is driven by naked economic exploitation.
Bunch of old men coming over to stretch out their pensions, paying impoverished teenagers $10 to service their tiny cocks, trying to tell themselves that they’re better than those pesky young kids coming over to help lift people out of poverty.
That's a very black and white view. Many of the TEFLers I've known here are in their 20s, and plenty are female. Many people I've known worked here first as teachers and later moved into other fields after they'd figured out the lay of the land. I've known many NGO workers over the years too, many are fine upstanding people but many of them were partial to some somewhat seedy nightlife too - others were downright crooks. This "holier than thou" attitude is probably what irks others most about these "white saviors". It's fine to try and do good but remember you don't have any monopoly on caring.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic