Overstayed British Teacher to be Deported from Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Overstayed British Teacher to be Deported from Siem Reap

Post by siliconlife »

Teachers are deplorable compared to what profession in Cambodia? Big business? Aid work? Diplomacy? Tourism? Hardly reputable fields on the whole either if you ask me.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

hburns wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:00 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:58 pm
mouytiet wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 am i done bit of teaching here and met alot of peaple that im sure gave more to the peaple of this country than the commentators i see here.
If "English teachers" were at least able to spell simple words correctly, I'd respect them a lot more.
He may have been a maths teacher. I hope he wasn't teaching English anyway.
He/she/it/they are on a par with many of the Filipino teachers I’ve encountered. That’s not a positive, by the way.
D Shay
Tourist

Post by D Shay »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:01 pm
D Shay wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:36 am
leeellis2406 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:03 pm I worked with him at Apple International School in Poipet, he was nothing but a drunk and threatening everybody. He took advantage of the local people when he got fired by bribing them out of beer, rice wine and food to the tune of around $1,000, saying he would pay them on salary day(even though he had been fired). People that could ill afford to lose money. So I have little sympathy for him about losing his employment because I know of his character, but sad to hear he's living in jail now awaiting deportation. I'm sure there are a few ex teachers who are on the breadline right now and the forecast is very bleak for the next few months, so everyone take care and stay safe and as healthy as possible and don't end up a victim of circumstance like Nick. Good luck Nick in your future, what goes around comes around.

This sort of character attack should not be permitted unless supported by evidence. Anonymous attacks can be very damaging to someone’s reputation and career.
IMO it's a bit late to worry about the guy's "reputation and career", now that his arrest photo is online and his deportation is a matter of record.
His arrest and deportation are merely for overstay. He’s being smeared here as someone who scams local people of $1,000 with no evidence of that. From a poster who doesn’t even claim to be the scam victim he just heard about it from someone else. It’s just an ugly smear rumor with no evidence.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

D Shay wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:18 am
leeellis2406 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:03 pm I worked with him at Apple International School in Poipet, he was nothing but a drunk and threatening everybody. He took advantage of the local people when he got fired by bribing them out of beer, rice wine and food to the tune of around $1,000, saying he would pay them on salary day(even though he had been fired). People that could ill afford to lose money. So I have little sympathy for him about losing his employment because I know of his character, but sad to hear he's living in jail now awaiting deportation. I'm sure there are a few ex teachers who are on the breadline right now and the forecast is very bleak for the next few months, so everyone take care and stay safe and as healthy as possible and don't end up a victim of circumstance like Nick. Good luck Nick in your future, what goes around comes around.

This sort of character attack should not be permitted unless supported by evidence. Anonymous attacks can be very damaging to someone’s reputation and career.
IMO it's a bit late to worry about the guy's "reputation and career", now that his arrest photo is online and his deportation is a matter of record.
His arrest and deportation are merely for overstay. He’s being smeared here as someone who scams local people of $1,000 with no evidence of that. From a poster who doesn’t even claim to be the scam victim he just heard about it from someone else. It’s just an ugly smear rumor with no evidence.
You are right. I shouldn't believe what anonymous people post here.
Do you know this person who is accused ? Perhaps they could put us straight.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

nosy
pebbles&nightsky
leeellis2406
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by leeellis2406 »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:59 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:50 pm
Thanks for the backstory on this guy. I always wonder how people got to be in this situation. At the moment, times are tough for everyone, and I generally have a lot of sympathy for teachers who are unemployed due to the circumstances, but in this case I can save my sympathy for his victims.
I hope he enjoys his time in jail.
I have a back story on Apple International school in Poipet .... and the guy who started it about 10 years ago.

Could be a different Apple International school of course but .... well ... doubtful.
Same school, I was there for 3 years just after it first opened when there were no English schools here
leeellis2406
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by leeellis2406 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:56 am
D Shay wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:18 am

You are right. I shouldn't believe what anonymous people post here.
Do you know this person who is accused ? Perhaps they could put us straight.
Actually I'm the teacher that had to fire him and take all his abuse, camping outside the school threatening staff and families as he felt he had been dismissed unfairly. The owner "Mr Winner"eventually offered him $100 to get out of town which he gladly accepted. Check my Facebook Lee Ellis (Teacher Lee) and you can see I was Academic Director there at that time. I have sympathy for him being out of work for so long and getting into a bad situation, but he has brought most of this on himself through his self destruct attitude when he drinks. Jekyll and Hyde, bipolar are things that come to mind here. And yes, I am the teacher that had my so kidnapped in 2018 if anyone disbelieves my story. Thankfully I got him back only on my own merits without any help from the authorities and I won the court battle to keep legal guardianship and sole custody of him (Oliver). So don't doubt me when I tell you this guy is a bad one and doesn't deserve the sympathy he seems to want to get from everyone!!!!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

siliconlife wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 pm Teachers are deplorable compared to what profession in Cambodia? Big business? Aid work? Diplomacy? Tourism? Hardly reputable fields on the whole either if you ask me.
I’ve never in my life seen a group of people with such a big hate-on for aid workers than CEO. I think this says a lot more about CEO than it does about aid workers...
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:06 pm
siliconlife wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:19 pm Teachers are deplorable compared to what profession in Cambodia? Big business? Aid work? Diplomacy? Tourism? Hardly reputable fields on the whole either if you ask me.
I’ve never in my life seen a group of people with such a big hate-on for aid workers than CEO. I think this says a lot more about CEO than it does about aid workers...
Didn't you know? Keeping the bar seat warm whilst you collect ssi is a much more honorable profession
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:06 pm
You must be new to Cambodia then. It's got nothing to do with CEO members.

Aid workers, aka NGO's, have had a bad rap for decades.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic