Overstayed British Teacher to be Deported from Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Re: Overstayed British Teacher to be Deported from Siem Reap

Post by BillDoe »

Just your average tefler, move along nothing to see here
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach English."
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

D Shay wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:36 am
leeellis2406 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:03 pm I worked with him at Apple International School in Poipet, he was nothing but a drunk and threatening everybody. He took advantage of the local people when he got fired by bribing them out of beer, rice wine and food to the tune of around $1,000, saying he would pay them on salary day(even though he had been fired). People that could ill afford to lose money. So I have little sympathy for him about losing his employment because I know of his character, but sad to hear he's living in jail now awaiting deportation. I'm sure there are a few ex teachers who are on the breadline right now and the forecast is very bleak for the next few months, so everyone take care and stay safe and as healthy as possible and don't end up a victim of circumstance like Nick. Good luck Nick in your future, what goes around comes around.

This sort of character attack should not be permitted unless supported by evidence. Anonymous attacks can be very damaging to someone’s reputation and career.
IMO it's a bit late to worry about the guy's "reputation and career", now that his arrest photo is online and his deportation is a matter of record.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

hburns wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:00 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:58 pm
mouytiet wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 am i done bit of teaching here and met alot of peaple that im sure gave more to the peaple of this country than the commentators i see here.
If "English teachers" were at least able to spell simple words correctly, I'd respect them a lot more.
He may have been a maths teacher. I hope he wasn't teaching English anyway.
Or maybe, just maybe, a troll hoping to get just these reactions.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

atst wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:49 pm Teachers in Cambodia are a fine bunch, the cream of the crop, as most media reports show. (sorry to those who are better),is it the lowest of professions for expats?

No I'm not trolling :stir:
A big part of the issue is the schools that have no standards besides being a pale face. I've met a number who had no business being employed in any profession, let alone being a teacher. People going to teach while still high from the drugs of the night before.

A bit more common is the constant hangover crew. Coming in almost every day feeling wrecked from the night before. As long as they show up enough days of the week they manage to keep their jobs, even if they are going through the day as a zombie.

There are loads of good and professional teachers and I remember thinking they should be making more money, that their wages weren't high enough over what the dregs were making. It is unfortunate that the image of TEFLers is so low due to these shithole schools with no hiring standards, the quality teachers don't deserve to be in the same grouping.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

i done bit of teaching here and met alot of peaple that im sure gave more to the peaple of this country than the commentators i see here.
LMAO troll level- expert
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:18 pm
atst wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:49 pm Teachers in Cambodia are a fine bunch, the cream of the crop, as most media reports show. (sorry to those who are better),is it the lowest of professions for expats?

No I'm not trolling :stir:
A big part of the issue is the schools that have no standards besides being a pale face. I've met a number who had no business being employed in any profession, let alone being a teacher. People going to teach while still high from the drugs of the night before.

A bit more common is the constant hangover crew. Coming in almost every day feeling wrecked from the night before. As long as they show up enough days of the week they manage to keep their jobs, even if they are going through the day as a zombie.

There are loads of good and professional teachers and I remember thinking they should be making more money, that their wages weren't high enough over what the dregs were making. It is unfortunate that the image of TEFLers is so low due to these shithole schools with no hiring standards, the quality teachers don't deserve to be in the same grouping.
I don't think qualified teachers will have a prosperous image of TEFL 'teachers'. Getting a basic teaching license in any subject will require 4,800-6,400 hours of study, depending on the country. A typical TEFL license takes 120 hours.

I've worked as a teacher and a teacher trainer for nearly two decades. I've seen some 'naturals', gifted from birth, being great teachers just by themselves from the start. But those are rare unicorns, I'd say 1-2%. Most of the teachers have to go through the whole spectrum of behavior becoming a real teacher, from being pupil's friend through 'being strict from the start' all the way to being a professional being able to manage a group of 30 kids and teaching them something while at the same time having an eye for important stuff going on in their lives. Group management is one the most difficult things to learn while it's one of the most important things at the same time.
Most good professional teachers will need 4-5 years after getting licensed to reach that level.

Edited for learning hours for teaching license
rasputin
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by rasputin »

Stiliko wrote:Karma, when it happens in the same lifetime (is that possible you Buddhists?) can be a beautiful thing to behold.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Never really got why anyone other than musicians would refer to their employment or career as a gig, I've noticed it strangely commonplace amongst teachers on the Cambodian forums. Unfortunately if that's the analogy it seems a lot are playing the Dog and Duck on a wet Tuesday night.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:50 pm Never really got why anyone other than musicians would refer to their employment or career as a gig, I've noticed it strangely commonplace amongst teachers on the Cambodian forums. Unfortunately if that's the analogy it seems a lot are playing the Dog and Duck on a wet Tuesday night.
“Gig” has a common secondary definition which I’ll copypaste from the dictionary:
Oxford wrote: a job, especially one that is temporary or that has an uncertain future.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic