Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News on Outbreaks and Lockdowns

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News on Outbreaks and Lockdowns

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

MoH spokesperson says:

‘Weddings’ fuel Covid rise
Mom Kunthear | Publication date 15 February 2022 | 22:03 ICT
Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine has observed that the rapid increase in the number of Covid-19 infections can likely be attributed to the large number of wedding ceremonies in recent months as they return to pre-pandemic levels.

Vandine opined that the behaviours observed in these mass gatherings were ripe for Covid-19 transmission.

She illustrated specific scenarios that demonstrated high transmission risk. “We may be wearing masks and washing [our] hands,” she said, “but once we eat, we have to take off the mask and sit next to each other, and sometimes [there is] cheering and tossing [of food], which causes [rapid] transmission [of] infection.”

Vandine, who is also head of the national Covid-19 vaccination committee, added that the increased number of gatherings has led to a proportionate increase in transmission rates of the virus.

Though she acknowledged that Cambodian society is learning to live with the presence of Covid-19, she said “it does not mean we [can] forget all the measures to protect ourselves”, and made reference to the three dos and three don’ts protocol.
Vandine said she had observed that the government-instituted measure has been increasingly neglected, with mask wearing appearing to be on the decline.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... covid-rise
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's very strange for many people to not want to put on masks, before the pandemic people wore masks for other reasons, such has dust and other airborne illnesses such has TB. Where I live there is little mask wearing, I think the people are making a statement between themselves "I have not got covid" but unfortunately, they may have, or possibly TB.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

COVID-19: New Omicron Cases Rise Sharply to Over 700
AKP Phnom Penh, February 20, 2022 --

Cambodia this morning reported 736 new cases of COVID-19, all of Omicron variant; bringing the tally to 126,489, according to the Ministry of Health’s press release.

Of the new infections, 730 were locally transmitted and 6 were imported, said the same source, adding that the total Omicron cases in the Kingdom rose to 6,036, including 5,333 community cases.

Meanwhile, it pointed out, 297 patients have successfully been cured, but there are two new COVID-19-related deaths after 46 days of zero death; therefore the total recovered and death cases stood at 120,462 and 3,017, respectively.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:39 am It's very strange for many people to not want to put on masks, before the pandemic people wore masks for other reasons, such has dust and other airborne illnesses such has TB. Where I live there is little mask wearing, I think the people are making a statement between themselves "I have not got covid" but unfortunately, they may have, or possibly TB.
Before the pandemic, a small number of people wore masks sometimes, but everyone was never expected to wear them almost all the time.

Wearing a mask isn’t a big deal if your only social interaction is going to the grocery store once or twice a week, but for people who still want to have social lives, they’re just awkward and uncomfortable.

If it’s safe enough to sit in a restaurant and eat a meal unmasked, then it should be safe enough to walk in through the front door unmasked too.
People aren’t using masks the way they are intended to be used in the first place. We need to stop pretending that they work as good in the real world, as they do in tightly controlled lab studies.

People also need to come to terms with the fact that getting covid is unavoidable.
My 80 year old Aunt is in a dementia ward. She’s triple vaccinated, and only has contact with a handful of people, who are all required to be vaccinated, and tested regularly. She still got covid (and survived).
If that kind of precaution doesn’t keep a person from being infected, then anyone who still wants to leave their house at any point might as well get used to the idea of being exposed eventually.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:57 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:39 am It's very strange for many people to not want to put on masks, before the pandemic people wore masks for other reasons, such has dust and other airborne illnesses such has TB. Where I live there is little mask wearing, I think the people are making a statement between themselves "I have not got covid" but unfortunately, they may have, or possibly TB.
Before the pandemic, a small number of people wore masks sometimes, but everyone was never expected to wear them almost all the time.

Wearing a mask isn’t a big deal if your only social interaction is going to the grocery store once or twice a week, but for people who still want to have social lives, they’re just awkward and uncomfortable.

If it’s safe enough to sit in a restaurant and eat a meal unmasked, then it should be safe enough to walk in through the front door unmasked too.
People aren’t using masks the way they are intended to be used in the first place. We need to stop pretending that they work as good in the real world, as they do in tightly controlled lab studies.

People also need to come to terms with the fact that getting covid is unavoidable.
My 80 year old Aunt is in a dementia ward. She’s triple vaccinated, and only has contact with a handful of people, who are all required to be vaccinated, and tested regularly. She still got covid (and survived).
If that kind of precaution doesn’t keep a person from being infected, then anyone who still wants to leave their house at any point might as well get used to the idea of being exposed eventually.
Sorry to hear about your aunt, but the precaution didn't work. Then on the other hand the old isolation TB hospitals did work. Is it because today the covid numbers are so widespread.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:09 am
Sorry to hear about your aunt, but the precaution didn't work. Then on the other hand the old isolation TB hospitals did work. Is it because today the covid numbers are so widespread.
I would guess it’s because covid is just that contagious, and many of the vaccinated people are still catching it and spreading it without knowing they’re infected.
My uncle (Aunt’s husband) is 87, and found out he was covid positive when he went to visit her, and was tested before entering the nursing home. This was a few weeks before my Aunt caught it. He had no symptoms at the time, but did have runny nose and some fatigue for a few days afterwards.

As far as I’m concerned, this is proof that the vaccines are doing their job well enough; two people in their 80’s brushed it off with minimal symptoms.
What I can’t understand, is why so many vaccinated people are still terrified for their own safety, and expect everyone else to take extraordinary measures to keep them safe.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Just heartd schools are closed for 2 weeks.... again

And just checked again and the guy had not checked the date of the "news release" and it was old news.

My bad
Last edited by IraHayes on Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:56 pm Just heartd schools are closed for 2 weeks.... again
Responding to rumours that the Royal Government plans to close Phnom Penh or close the country after the spread of Omicron, PM HE has declared that there is no need to for closure like in 2021 due to the high vaccination rate.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501029667/ ... f-omicron/

PM says his daughter and 5 grandchildren have contracted COVID

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501029676/ ... ted-covid/

Depleting stock: Rush to buy C-19 home-treatment drug causing shortage

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501029180/ ... -shortage/
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:07 pm
IraHayes wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:56 pm Just heartd schools are closed for 2 weeks.... again
Responding to rumours that the Royal Government plans to close Phnom Penh or close the country after the spread of Omicron, PM HE has declared that there is no need to for closure like in 2021 due to the high vaccination rate.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501029667/ ... f-omicron/

PM says his daughter and 5 grandchildren have contracted COVID

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501029676/ ... ted-covid/

Depleting stock: Rush to buy C-19 home-treatment drug causing shortage

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501029180/ ... -shortage/
Yeah seems the chap who messaged me fell victim to this. He saw it was an old news clip/announcement though not before I had rushed to post here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic