The Unraveling of the American Empire- Chris Hedges

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

The Unraveling of the American Empire- Chris Hedges

Post by phuketrichard »

I am proud to be an American but fuck, it is no longer the country it was...

U.S. leadership has stumbled from one military debacle to another, a trajectory mirroring the sad finales of other historical imperial powers.
America’s defeat in Afghanistan is one in a string of catastrophic military blunders that herald the death of the American empire. With the exception of the first Gulf War, fought largely by mechanized units in the open desert that did not — wisely — attempt to occupy Iraq, the United States political and military leadership has stumbled from one military debacle to another. Korea. Vietnam. Lebanon. Afghanistan. Iraq. Syria. Libya. The trajectory of military fiascos mirrors the sad finales of the Chinese, Ottoman, Hapsburg, Russian, French, British, Dutch, Portuguese and Soviet empires. While each of these empires decayed with their own peculiarities, they all exhibited patterns of dissolution that characterize the American experiment.

Imperial ineptitude is matched by domestic ineptitude. The collapse of good government at home, with legislative, executive and judicial systems all seized by corporate power, ensures that the incompetent and the corrupt, those dedicated not to the national interest but to swelling the profits of the oligarchic elite, lead the country into a cul-de-sac. Rulers and military leaders, driven by venal self-interest, are often buffoonish characters in a grand comic operetta. How else to think of Allen Dulles, Dick Cheney, George W. Bush, Donald Trump or the hapless Joe Biden? While their intellectual and moral vacuity is often darkly amusing, it is murderous and savage when directed towards their victims.
The core belief of imperialists, whether they come in the form of a Barack Obama or a George W. Bush, is racism and ethnic chauvinism, the notion that Americans are permitted, because of superior attributes, to impose their “values” on lesser races and peoples by force. This racism, carried out in the name of Western civilization and its corollary white supremacy, unites the rabid imperialists and liberal interventionists in the Republican and Democratic parties. It is the fatal disease of empire, captured in Graham Greene’s novel The Quiet American and Michael Ondaatje’s The English Patient.
Its worth a read be you a proud American like me or a hater>>

https://consortiumnews.com/2021/04/19/c ... FozSH1JtL8
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: The Unraveling of the American Empire- Chris Hedges

Post by Ghostwriter »

I avoid pride & shame about things i am but didn't choose to, like nationality, color of skin, etc...
Politics love too much to play that string.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:36 pm I am proud to be an American but fuck, it is no longer the country it was...
I quibble with some of the author's arguments, but I agree the US is in decline. Glad I left.

This stuff is embarrassing:
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

If the USA would not exist the world would be worse off. The country is far from beeing perfect but hundreds of millions would happily immigrate if it would be easily possible. Its getting harder to get better once you hit the top. I just hate it when they claim their pizza is better than ours.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

truffledog wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:42 pm I just hate it when they claim their pizza is better than ours.
Them's fightin' words!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:59 pm
truffledog wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:42 pm I just hate it when they claim their pizza is better than ours.
Them's fightin' words!

The Untouchables-ish wrote: Trust an Italian to bring a knife, and fork, to a pizza fight!
Image :hattip:

but honestly, what you posted is epic cheese on toast! :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:08 pm
Them's fightin' words!

The Untouchables-ish wrote: Trust an Italian to bring a knife, and fork, to a pizza fight!

Hey, there is still some civilization left in America.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Hey Truffledog, some US pizza is competitive with Italian made pizza, its often made by Americans with Italian heritage ( we're not allowed to say Italian Americans here). Those Americans with Italian heritage ( I know its clunky sounding but all the Europeans concur) are all from Southern Italy however and you talk like a Northern Italian so that's not probably not going to cut it for you. Good thing there is no North/South friction in Italy right?

Anyway, back to this article that I might get around to reading. Not something I feel like now, I did read the author's wiki page however and he is certainly a qualified enuf fella. My first guess was that he as a milennial punk in need of a critics nose thwapping and that maybe he missed those semesters where the syllabi was rife with American Exceptionalism but I was so wrong...., again....
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:08 pm
Them's fightin' words!

Y’all! Y’all heard it here, first.

American pizza is actually a Welsh Rabbit, only bigggggerr.
-anon. Possibly spigzy. c.2021
:stir:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Chris is extremely well qualified to comment on the status/downfall of America

His book; America: The Farewell Tour
well worth reading
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic