Covid-19 has worsened a shaky rule of law environment

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Error404
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Covid-19 has worsened a shaky rule of law environment

Post by Error404 »

I'm sorry I forgot that this is the new normal.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Error404 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:26 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:23 am
Error404 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:46 am Duh, that was the purpose of covid-19; so that the government could control us and violate our civil liberties and basic human rights all in the name of saving lives.
Which government ? You mean the one that controls the planet, or the alien government that controls the universe ?
Do I really need to give you the definition of a government; "the body of persons that constitutes the governing authority of a political unit or organization", each country gots one. And if you think any government from any country gives a dam about you, you obviously have been living under a rock, there are plenty of examples of government using this pandemic to violate peoples rights. And I know people like you need examples so here is one if you think this okay you are insane.
And we know people like you too.

Please don't bring my country and it's laws into your silly arguments. All governments create laws, that's there job. New prohibitive laws are usually created to stop and prevent a mischief that has arisen, @Random Dude spelt this out perfectly well for you.

As for the UK, ALLCovid-19 restrictions have a sunset clause built into the legislation meaning that at a given date in the future (September 2021) they will expire and no longer be valid. Any extension will require further approval of an already very sceptical parliament, and I doubt it will happen.

If you learnt a few technical facts, rather than believing all that the internet told you in video form, you would be a lot less worried about things than your are now.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

The guy in the video broke Covid quarantine rules - he deserves a sound kicking and arrest for endangering the health of others.

As for your comments about shoving the stick up the local cops' backsides, I suggest that you may be in for a very sound beating from the police, if you fail to stick to the health rules :)

I can't understand those who harp on about loss of freedoms. Just get on with your fcuking life and stop looking for trouble....
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Error404 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:26 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:23 am
Error404 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:46 am Duh, that was the purpose of covid-19; so that the government could control us and violate our civil liberties and basic human rights all in the name of saving lives.
Which government ? You mean the one that controls the planet, or the alien government that controls the universe ?
Do I really need to give you the definition of a government; "the body of persons that constitutes the governing authority of a political unit or organization", each country gots one. And if you think any government from any country gives a dam about you, you obviously have been living under a rock, there are plenty of examples of government using this pandemic to violate peoples rights. And I know people like you need examples so here is one if you think this okay you are insane.
If you, by now, still don't understand how viruses transmit, it is clearly you who have been living under a rock.

I really don't know what to make of you conspiracy theorists, I honestly don't. Part of me wants to punch my monitor every time I read yet another 'they're trying to control us' vomit of paranoid delusion, but then I have to stop myself and tell myself that that's what it really is. Paranoid delusion. Which comes about from a mental inability to accept the reality of a tragic situation. When the truth is so horrific that it's unbearable to contemplate, for some, the human mind creates an alternative version of reality. Whether that's conspiracy theory, a distortion of the facts, or just plain denial that anything is happening at all. It's a coping mechanism. I get it.

You are right in some ways - they really are trying to control us, because by controlling us, they can get some kind of control over the spread of the virus and save people's lives. It has been shown time and time and time again, all over the world, not only with this pandemic, but historical ones too, that in the absence of an effective vaccine, lock-down measures are far and away the most effective way to minimise the spread of airborne viruses such as this one. All the scientific data proves this beyond any shadow of a doubt.

But you cannot bring in lock-down measures and fail to enforce them. You cannot say to people 'You must stay at home but don't worry if you want to carry on your life as normal because nothing will happen to you'. Many countries tried this at the start of the outbreak last year and people simply ignored the instructions. If you're going to bring in measures to contain the virus. you must enforce those measures. Whether that's fines, imprisonment, or a short sharp shock to your backside with a long thin stick administered by a screaming police officer.

You also cannot take the attitude that people can risk their own lives and if they're too dumb to understand how the virus transmits, well that's their lookout. I watched a terrible news report recently from Brazil where a young girl was being interviewed who had lost both of her parents and grandmother to Covid. She said that while the mother and grandmother were super careful about hygiene and terrified of going out, the father had a much more lax attitude towards it. He went out, caught the virus, bought it home, and subsequently killed the mother, grandmother and himself. Her brother was still critically ill in hospital. She only survived because she doesn't live with them. You cannot take the 'You take your own risks' approach to this virus.

There may be questions over how or why this virus originated. There may be questions regarding the long term safety of the vaccines. There may be questions surrounding whether liberties taken away during the pandemic will be restored once the threat is over. I get that there are a lot of unknowns and a lot of reasons to ask questions, but the immediate issue right now is that the virus is still raging in many countries, we are still very far away from any kind of resolution to this, and tough action is needed by governments if lives are to be saved. You only have to look at Brazil to see what happens when tough measures are not taken.

This really isn't the time nor the place for far-fetched tin-foil-hat theories. The virus is real, it's here and it's spreading. Accept it. Focus on keeping yourself and those around you safe.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

As you can see there are plenty of people who love the restrictions, who believe the government loves them and are doing whats right, and simply can not see the shear stupidity of repeating the same actions over and over again and seeing no reduction in the virus.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

samrong01 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:38 am
As you can see there are plenty of people who love the restrictions, who believe the government loves them and are doing whats right, and simply can not see the shear stupidity of repeating the same actions over and over again and seeing no reduction in the virus.
Why do you say that people 'love' the restrictions? Can you show anything anywhere that demonstrates people's love of having their freedom of movement taken away? Wouldn't the word 'understand' be a better description?

Why do you say that repeating the same actions over and over again (I assume you mean lock-downs) sees no reduction in the virus when graph after graph of cases before, during and after lock-downs repeatedly shows that what you are saying is simply not true?

But just before you reply, if you simply reply with more paranoid delusional rhetoric with no basis in reality, I will no longer engage with you.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

samrong01 wrote:
Sheer is an adjective, shear is a verb.

Can you give me a country where a lockdown did not significantly attenuate transmission?
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

xandreu wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:51 am
samrong01 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:38 am
Why do you say that people 'love' the restrictions? Can you show anything anywhere that demonstrates people's love of having their freedom of movement taken away? Wouldn't the word 'understand' be a better description?

Why do you say that repeating the same actions over and over again (I assume you mean lock-downs) sees no reduction in the virus when graph after graph of cases before, during and after lock-downs repeatedly shows that what you are saying is simply not true?

But just before you reply, if you simply reply with more paranoid delusional rhetoric with no basis in reality, I will no longer engage with you.
If lockdowns and other measures are successful then why after more than a year is the virus still around? Are you saying the virus is less now than before? That is what is simply not true. The WHO is against lockdowns and they also say that masks are only necessary when you are unable to maintain social distancing but they are ignored. Is this delusion or fact? You talk about graphs - I have seen a graph, published in The Economist, showing that after lockdowns in Ireland, cases soared. Another delusion? There is evidence in the UK that when the government proposed easing lockdowns, the people were against it. You could use the word "understand" but in fact the people do not understand - they only know about the fear and panic spread by governments and media. As usual you concentrate on semantics and ignore facts. It is a fact that the virus is progressing in much the same way as the viruses in 1957 and 1968 with the main difference being the long delay in getting a vaccine this time. Vaccine or not it will fade away this year or next just like in those years. Overall mortality rates are low like then - lower than 1957, much the same or lower than 1968.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

epidemiks wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:29 am
samrong01 wrote:

Can you give me a country where a lockdown did not significantly attenuate transmission?
Yes - every country. Can you show me a country where there are or have been lockdowns that have a lower rate of infection than they had a year ago? Of course focus on misspellings rather than the issue.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Shear is also a noun.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic