Have you visited all the 50 or 57 states according to Obama

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.

Have you visited all the 50 states or 57 states according to president Barack Obama?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 3
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Have you visited all the 50 or 57 states according to Ob

Post by Samouth »

Cam Nivag wrote:I haven't been to North Dakota. Maybe later this year, just to go.
Go for it.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
redhooligan
Expatriate
Greece

Post by redhooligan »

No, and I don't think if you did it would be all that fun. Sure, some spots are worthwhile, but getting there isn't by road. Too much 'nothing' for most of the way. And it's FAR!

Having lived in the east coast, anything west of Pennsylvania, Florida, Virginia, or New york state and everything east of California/Washington/Oregon is called "Flyover country", meaning you never stop or go to visit there on purpose, you just take a plane to fly over it from the east coast (NY/Miami/Washington, DC) to the west coast (LA, SF, Seattle, etc).

Yup, 90% mostly flyover. Alaska too cold. So by being to 20-25 states, I've been to 95% of the states I find worth visiting! :good:

Hawaii is the only other remaining. (Sorry Nebraska and Iowa)
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Depends what you call a "visit". I've driven in 48. AK & ND excepted. All the provinces of Canada as well, minus Newfoundland - Labrador.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Samouth wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:Well I've never barebacked ponies like GM, but I have visited 49 states, though many just briefly. I've been in the Hawaii airport but never left the terminal, so that is the 1 I haven't been to. Having seen the rest, I conclude the Pacific Northwest (where I hail from) is the best. The south is obviously the worst, with Florida winning (losing) easily. I do really like Atlanta, GA though.
Wow MM, you have already visited all that states on the mainland. I wonder did you mostly travel by plane or train or bus? Is the transportation there really expensive ?

What made you think the south is obviously the worst ?
Train and bus, mostly. I've lived in Florida, New York, Massachusetts, Oregon, Washington, and Illinois. Whenever I've moved to a new part of the country, I make a point of exploring the region.

Regarding the south, I don't like the politics or the culture of the south. Too religious, too traditional, too conservative, too controlling, too ignorant, too xenophobic, uneducated, etc. The Pacific Northwest has always had a left-wing or libertarian feel to it and that is reflected in our laws and people. We also have very vibrant artistic communities (one reason I like Atlanta, despite it being in the south) and I know I'm going to get shit for this, but so many southerners just seem dumber or at least not very educated.

Mostly it feels like you're in a different country down there and not a good one.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote:
Samouth wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:Well I've never barebacked ponies like GM, but I have visited 49 states, though many just briefly. I've been in the Hawaii airport but never left the terminal, so that is the 1 I haven't been to. Having seen the rest, I conclude the Pacific Northwest (where I hail from) is the best. The south is obviously the worst, with Florida winning (losing) easily. I do really like Atlanta, GA though.
Wow MM, you have already visited all that states on the mainland. I wonder did you mostly travel by plane or train or bus? Is the transportation there really expensive ?

What made you think the south is obviously the worst ?
Train and bus, mostly. I've lived in Florida, New York, Massachusetts, Oregon, Washington, and Illinois. Whenever I've moved to a new part of the country, I make a point of exploring the region.

I wish Cambodia has a better train and bus, so i could go around the country quite easily. However, there are only a few that i haven't been to. It seems like you have relocated a lots.

Regarding the south, I don't like the politics or the culture of the south. Too religious, too traditional, too conservative, too controlling, too ignorant, too xenophobic, uneducated, etc.
Mostly it feels like you're in a different country down there and not a good one.
My uncle was a refugee during khmer Rouge. First he lived in Washington state, then he moved to California after he married. He just recently moved to Tennessee. He also told me the same things you mentioned. His kids have been discriminated at school for being Asian.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Yeah, it is a really strange culture down there. Hopefully it changes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic