Leaving Cambodia due to the situation?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Leaving Cambodia due to the situation?

Post by xandreu »

I'm primarily wondering about the logistics of leaving, should we want to. Personally, I don't intend to, but I don't like the idea of it being difficult or near-impossible should I change my mind. It's never a bad idea to keep your options open.

What about the logistics of getting to the airport through red-zoned areas? I guess you could show your air ticket, but how would you get someone to take you, knowing they would have to come back without you? I haven't seen 'travel to the airport' as a legitimate excuse for leaving your house on any official documents. There don't seem to be any Grab's or Pass-Apps around...?

What's the flight situation like at the moment? Has the chaos of flights being cancelled at the last minute that happened last year finished now? What's the likelihood that once you've purchased a ticket, you will actually get to where you intended? Or is there still a chance of the flight being cancelled and having to jump through hoops to get your money back?

How about getting the pre-flight covid test? Is there anywhere still open where you can get one during the lock-down?

Has anyone here decided to jump ship? Any thoughts on it all?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Leaving Cambodia due to the situation?

Post by nemo »

Better sooner than later if you are sure
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

are Bus's still running that route? or have all bus's stopped?

flights out
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airp ... departures

Does thou , depending on where you are staying, raise some question; how ur going to get to the place to get ur test, get back home, back to get the results, than get to the airport the next day

I wonder, as seeing flights still arriving , how they get to their hotel? also seems 2 flights from Seoul arrive after 10 pm>>

WE have put off moving over for a few months, not worth it when all is fine here in Phuket
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

There are no buses, traffic is stopped at the sangkat and provincial borders.
I think we are inside the event horizon already and might get a chance to slip out if they suspend the lockdown,
Otherwise, difficult.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Here you are,
Should be OK with the checkpoints,

Got a smoke 🤒
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Looks like on the 22nd you can fly to:

Singapore
Seoul
Guangzhou
Shenzhen
Shanghai (this is on an airline I haven't heard of before so likely need visa to enter China)

I'd assume there are a few more destinations that only offer service 1 or a few days a week. So you can definitely get a ticket.

I'd venture that if your in PP you can likely find a way to get to the airport (plenty early should be the plan), getting out to the pre-flight test and getting the document might be the more challenging part. Outside of PP right now? I wouldn't bet too much money on it, likely need some sort of police document to get through.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Kiwi has posted info on getting pre flight covid test and its allowed, once you have that and ticket you can go though the barriers (thats if the people on the barriers have a clue whats going on and thats maybe the biggest worry)
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

TWY wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:34 pm Looks like on the 22nd you can fly to:

Singapore
Seoul
Guangzhou
Shenzhen
Shanghai (this is on an airline I haven't heard of before so likely need visa to enter China)

I'd assume there are a few more destinations that only offer service 1 or a few days a week. So you can definitely get a ticket.

I'd venture that if your in PP you can likely find a way to get to the airport (plenty early should be the plan), getting out to the pre-flight test and getting the document might be the more challenging part. Outside of PP right now? I wouldn't bet too much money on it, likely need some sort of police document to get through.
HUH?
i see 11 international flights,
5 to china
2 to Singapore
2 to Seoul
1 to Bangkok
1 to Abu Dhabi
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airp ... departures
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Some are cargo only.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Passenger flight schedule, disregard the domestic flights.

xandreu wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:23 pm I haven't seen 'travel to the airport' as a legitimate excuse for leaving your house on any official documents.
It is under the exemptions in the PP/Takhmau lockdown directive issued on the 17th.

Your flight itinerary should be sufficient, but you'll need a driver, so you may want to request a travel authorisation letter with the vehicle details from local authorities so that the driver can return. Or , contact hotels, some have authorisation letters for regular drivers, at an inflated cost of course.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic