Leaving Cambodia due to the situation?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Leaving Cambodia due to the situation?

Post by xandreu »

Cambo Dear wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:18 pm Just to let you know, if you are still resident in the UK, you can isolate at home rather than paying for the isolation hotel. This isn't a fact that is widely reported but it is a fact. I think residency expires after 3 years consecutively out of the country or if you formally state to the authorities that you are no longer resident. Might be relevant.
And if you are no longer resident - AFAIK, you are only legally obliged to stay in a government quarantine hotel if you arrive there from a country on the 'red list'. Currently, Cambodia is not on the 'red list' of countries and therefore if you return to the UK, you may self-isolate at 'home' - assuming you still have one? I don't know if a normal hotel would be classified as the same as a home? (Travelodge / Holiday Inn etc)

Apparently, as soon as you do anything that shows your intention to remain in the UK (rental agreement / job contracts etc) your residency rights are returned to you - free access to the NHS I guess would be the most important at the moment.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Cambo Dear wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:18 pm Just to let you know, if you are still resident in the UK, you can isolate at home rather than paying for the isolation hotel. This isn't a fact that is widely reported but it is a fact. I think residency expires after 3 years consecutively out of the country or if you formally state to the authorities that you are no longer resident. Might be relevant.
Really? I guess this guy thought the same thing. The battering ram on his door said otherwise.

Police smash door and arrest man who failed to hotel quarantine after travel from red list country
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 31779.html

Also, I don't think residence is relevant. If you are a UK citizen, you have a right to enter the UK. It doesn't matter how long you've been absent.Residence may be relevant for non-UK citizens, possibly.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Matty9999 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:51 pm One other note, most airports and countries allow you to transit through a country as long as dont leave the airport zone, obviously its easier if you dont leave immigration either, just transfer from one plane to another which is what ill be doing shortly. The only place im aware of thats not accepting transfers is the Philippines.
For a while, (last year) some countries/airports were applying a limit to transit/connection times. It’s a fluid situation. I ran into some obscure issues when looking at tickets before, as the transit time was longer than allowed, but it wasn’t entirely clear.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The quarantine hotel is definitely a requirement when travelling from countries on the Red list. All passengers.
Self isolating at home should not be confused with quarantine hotels.
Skim reading without understanding the differences is likely going to end in expensive embarrassment.
Residency has nothing to do with it.
...and the caveat is that things are changing all the time, so remain flexible.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

xandreu wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:27 pm
Apparently, as soon as you do anything that shows your intention to remain in the UK (rental agreement / job contracts etc) your residency rights are returned to you - free access to the NHS I guess would be the most important at the moment.
Yes, as I UK citizen you have a right to register with a GP but you have to provide documents to show you have retuned permanently. However, if you need emergency treatment that is provided in any event.
Details:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-n ... -in-the-uk
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:52 pm
Matty9999 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:51 pm One other note, most airports and countries allow you to transit through a country as long as dont leave the airport zone, obviously its easier if you dont leave immigration either, just transfer from one plane to another which is what ill be doing shortly. The only place im aware of thats not accepting transfers is the Philippines.
For a while, (last year) some countries/airports were applying a limit to transit/connection times. It’s a fluid situation. I ran into some obscure issues when looking at tickets before, as the transit time was longer than allowed, but it wasn’t entirely clear.
AFAIK, transiting is not possible at any US airport and it never was. You have to enter through immigration.

Transiting through a red list country en route to the UK has the same effect as departing from a red list country even if you stay airside in the transit airport. I expect this is applied by must destination countries.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:19 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:52 pm
AFAIK, transiting is not possible at any US airport and it never was. You have to enter through immigration.

Transiting through a red list country en route to the UK has the same effect as departing from a red list country even if you stay airside in the transit airport. I expect this is applied by must destination countries.
I just checked with both Singapore Airlines and Luftansa, they are good to go for transit through either Singapore or Germany.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Matty9999 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:52 pm I just checked with both Singapore Airlines and Luftansa, they are good to go for transit through either Singapore or Germany.
Singapore have a dedicated transit area at Changi. I think the longest I’ve spent in there was 6 hours. But I’m sure they had a transit time restriction of about 8hours, which made certain ticket combinations unworkable as the time between arriving and departing was too long. This is just a heads up to take a look in advance, as it wasn’t immediately apparent.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:57 pm
Matty9999 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:52 pm I just checked with both Singapore Airlines and Luftansa, they are good to go for transit through either Singapore or Germany.
Singapore have a dedicated transit area at Changi. I think the longest I’ve spent in there was 6 hours. But I’m sure they had a transit time restriction of about 8hours, which made certain ticket combinations unworkable as the time between arriving and departing was too long. This is just a heads up to take a look in advance, as it wasn’t immediately apparent.
Thanks, theres actually a flight leaving tonight at 11:40 pm but im not ready to take it. Its from PP to Singapore layover is 2 hours 15 minutes, then a flight to Frankfurt. not sure on the layover restriction there but i wonder what they would do if you overstayed it, deport me back to the USA? hm im not sure. I honestly dont mind the redeye because i am more of a nightperson versus a morning person.
Last edited by Matty9999 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic