Charities and such organizations information?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Charities and such organizations information?

Post by KTabi »

I was told to start a seperate thread last week to ask what charities and organizations one could support with time and/or money due to difficult times for sellers, tourism and travel workers, and lots of other people now.

I don't think anyone should have to go hungry or without shelter if it can be helped. What organizations do you recommend? Thank you for your time.
:thumb:
violet
Expatriate

Re: Charities and such organizations information?

Post by violet »

Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

KTabi wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 am I was told to start a seperate thread last week to ask what charities and organizations one could support with time and/or money due to difficult times for sellers, tourism and travel workers, and lots of other people now.

I don't think anyone should have to go hungry or without shelter if it can be helped. What organizations do you recommend? Thank you for your time.
Not to be crass but I think it's high time that westerners and NGO's stop this codependency support.

Cambodia is more than capable of supporting their own. It may mean a few less Bentley's in the driveway, but would that be such a tragedy?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Brody wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 am
KTabi wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:21 am I was told to start a seperate thread last week to ask what charities and organizations one could support with time and/or money due to difficult times for sellers, tourism and travel workers, and lots of other people now.

Not to be crass but I think it's high time that westerners and NGO's stop this codependency support.

Cambodia is more than capable of supporting their own. It may mean a few less Bentley's in the driveway, but would that be such a tragedy?
Agreed but remember the top level of the nation didn't get to where they are by being kind, or showing any empathy to their fellow countrymen and women. Why would they start now when so many of the poor will lose their land to the banks and microfinance entities allowing these wealthy compatriots to gobble up more or allow the new minted citz to buy it all.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Arget wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:28 pm
Agreed but remember the top level of the nation didn't get to where they are by being kind, or showing any empathy to their fellow countrymen and women. Why would they start now when so many of the poor will lose their land to the banks and microfinance entities allowing these wealthy compatriots to gobble up more or allow the new minted citz to buy it all.
What I was getting at is more a matter of empowering the hoi polloi.

Once those in power are truly held accountable to the citizens in a real way, the populous at large will see what lurks behind the curtain.

How donor governments and NGO's were doing the lions share of major infrastructure, aid programs, education programs, ad infinitum whilst those in the power structure enriched themselves beyond the comprehension of most rice farmers.

They will begin to ask tough questions to their elected officials.

Perhaps a gregarious, young, intelligent citizen could spark a movement.

And then Cambodia has a choice.......clamp down and really become a dictatorship.......or allow the seeds of a real democracy to grow.

But with countless NGO's and donor governments propping things up, what motivation is there to challenge the status quo?

So yeah, KTabi, go donate to your hearts content, but what Cambodia really needs in the long run is to be cut from the purse strings.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Brody wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 am Not to be crass but I think it's high time that westerners and NGO's stop this codependency support.

The issue I have with this is while you’re making out that helping people through charities is somehow harmful (a questionable claim to begin with), you’ve offered no suggestions for alternative ways for people to help out.

I’m all for discussion on productive long term ways to help people in grave difficulty and ways for NGOs to accelerate the process of making themselves redundant, but this idea that doing *nothing* is the best of all options has the smell of something you want to believe because it suits you for it to be true.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

There has to be a time when a developing country begins to look after its own problems, such a case like its own people who are less fortunate. Its people are no different from people of other countries, the people with money will play with their own wealth and build on it, while the poor just servive day by day with whatever means they have. The devide between the middle class and poor is growing wider, where it seems the poor are left too their own demise. Although there is help and donations with such charities like the Cambodian red cross. Again, such charity organisations stem from the ones above, royalty, country leaders and celebrities, these are the ones with recognition, wealth and mainly the voice too get things done, raising the most important cash flow.
But what of the charities in Cambodia, what of the needy whom need outside charity organisations to help. One such example is the organisation of the landmine clearance Halo trust, the first de-mining organisation to step in the country. This joint British/American team have not only cleared landmines and UXOs but built schools, provided health care, and pensions, but most of all trained people in the skill and safety of clearing mines, thus giving employment, also the other groups too emerge had been provided with the same skills, going ahead with their own organisations. Many trained Cambodian de-miners have been wit the trust now for 25 years. Over those years donations have poured in from many countries, China was asked to donate for the first time last year.
Even so, when something arises, the first point of call for the government too ask for outside help, although last, the ones with money donated vast sums for covid19 vaccines. But even that the WHO and many countries promised that they would donate what would be needed, it was asked of outside countries by the PM at the earliest opportunity, where as some of the donated funds were used to buy only of the Chinese vaccine.
I was under the impression too that the farmers of the country were mainly poor until they contributed with other members to fund the new Cambodian People’s Party Headquarters in Phnom Penh, Party spokesperson said members contributed the $40 million it took to build the structure.
If the same outlook and will for the above was taken on charity needs, I think there is no need to say more, the answer already is there.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
PPUG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PPUG »

Outside of the ethics of whether charity is a good or bad thing for Cambodia long term, the simple fact is that many people have lost any form of income in this current lockdown situation.

For example, this has had a massive impact on the "informal economy" like tuk tuk drivers, cyclo drivers etc.

A combination of the travel ban, curfew and now the lockdown means they have basically no income

I am very impressed by this organisation - COVD Help

They have a FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/covdhelp where you can contribute via ABA for their $8 "Food and Hygiene kits", which they are distributing in PP in conjunction with the IDEA NGO

For folks not in Cambodia, they have a gofundme page at https://www.gofundme.com/f/covd-help-fo ... phnom-penh

This kind of "grass roots" action can really work well in a situation like this and make a quick impact where it really matters

There was a good article about them in Khmer Times the other day as well: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50841832/h ... help-story

BTW, not affiliated with them, just impressed by what they are doing!
Image Image Image
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

KTabi wrote:I was told to start a seperate thread last week to ask what charities and organizations one could support with time and/or money due to difficult times for sellers, tourism and travel workers, and lots of other people now.

Why not just do it yourself?
Pretty easy to find families struggling, especially right now.
Our small middle class neighborhood has a couple of those families.
Not too difficult to go buy a few 50kg sacks of rice. A few cases of noodles and a few kilos of fish and help those around you.

Sent from my CPH2159 using Tapatalk

KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Brody wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 am

I wasn't interested in the high handed organizations for this and that, I just assumed there were some people legitimately having difficulties sleeping indoors and having food if they were impacted by protracted loss of tourists and new lockdowns.I certainly don't like NGOs for the most part and if there is legitimately no need for basic food or medical aid support then my misunderstanding.
:thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic