Charities and such organizations information?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Charities and such organizations information?

Post by nemo »

“If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be...For the poor you will always have with you in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’" (Deut 15:7-11)

Up to you
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

I guess it’s a philosophical debate as long as society itself. Whether it’s taxation or charity, some people are so horrified at the idea of one undeserving freeloader taking money, that they would rather see ten people go hungry.

It has also previously occurred to me - and I’m not pointing any fingers here - that a non-zero percentage of the CEO community have their entire retirement finances reliant on Cambodia staying poor...
:stir:
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

cambo swa wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:25 am
KTabi wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:24 am
lostjeremy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:37 pm
KTabi wrote:I was told to start a seperate thread last week to ask what charities and organizations one could support with time and/or money due to difficult times for sellers, tourism and travel workers, and lots of other people now.

I don't think anyone should have to go hungry or without shelter if it can be helped. What organizations do you recommend? Thank you for your time.
Why not just do it yourself?
Pretty easy to find families struggling, especially right now.
Our small middle class neighborhood has a couple of those families.
Not too difficult to go buy a few 50kg sacks of rice. A few cases of noodles and a few kilos of fish and help those around you.

Sent from my CPH2159 using Tapatalk
I am not in Cambodia at the moment, I've only got intentions to be there at some point in the near future. Of course covid and such makes things a little complicated on timelines. I originally only asked in response to reports of soaring food prices and markets closed down. I felt sad that decent people might have no food and assumed there might be some known charity at least making sure people got fed in these neighborhoods I intended to live in soon. Everywhere I and my family lives have strong welfare states and charitable organizations with large funds.
You are not here in Cambodia? As Lost J stated you can do here, just buy it and donate it. Have you ever lived here? Does not seem like it. "At the moment" sounds like never. There are very few opportunities for people in need to be supported here. Now it is tragic for them. Your stated mission is admirable and I hope you find a way to do good.
Yes, I'm not in Cambodia. There's a little pandemic going on that has made things more complicated. Heading straight in to a place on lockdown after paying thousands from a place not on lockdown makes no sense. Certainly seems like a nice idea to do something oneself on a local level. I have visited and intend to come soon but obviously the circumstances are not ideal or improving at the moment. If Cambodia were in great shape I would be there next month.

There's no need to be rude and nonsensical about whether or not someone could come in to such a low cost place, it is not an exclusive club or otherwise to this current temporary atmosphere difficult. Hopefully we can share a beer when this all blows over and people can get whatever help is appropriate through the situation. :beer3:
:thumb:
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:09 pm It has also previously occurred to me - and I’m not pointing any fingers here - that a non-zero percentage of the CEO community have their entire retirement finances reliant on Cambodia staying poor...
:stir:
along with a few international fashion brands
food, soap, and cosmetics multinationals
energy conglomerates
financial institutions
probably your education, or the conditions that enabled it
. . .
. . .
. . .

monstra mihi bona!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I think that it's great that foreigners who feel affection and affiliation towards Cambodia are thinking about how they can help out - even, or especially, if they are not in Cambodia right now. They are asking how they can help in the most useful way, and that's not a stupid question to be asking on an expat forum.
I really think that the present crisis over-rides the general debate on whether Cambodia should be getting along with hand-outs. In every country, the pandemic is hitting the poor hardest, and I don't see how it is the fault of the poor if there are a load of greedy bastards who are not paying their share.

As one example: This worthy organization works for child protection in Sihanoukville, but they support whole families in need.
http://mloptapang.org/
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^That was a very good read, I especially enjoyed the 2019 Annual Report. They are a professional body tackling all the angles, with plenty of abilities and skills. Thanks for this article Anchor Moy, a very interesting Charitable organisation that obviously does very good work, and may I add at a location and time when it was much needed with the dramatic change of the city at that time.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
K1m0
Tourist
Canada

Post by K1m0 »

The smaller orgs seem to have really good success in Cambodia. I always believed that a hand-up to local people and sustainable was the best way to go. Pre-pandemic I was sponsoring a local school in Kampot to teach English to kids for free, a skill that can go a long way for their future. The plan was to fund with a sustainable farm project.

And then COVID hit and everything went on hold... its especially difficult to operate something from overseas during all this mess. But it would be good to get it going again later. A little money goes a long way in Cambodia :)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:06 am I think that it's great that foreigners who feel affection and affiliation towards Cambodia are thinking about how they can help out - even, or especially, if they are not in Cambodia right now. They are asking how they can help in the most useful way, and that's not a stupid question to be asking on an expat forum.
I really think that the present crisis over-rides the general debate on whether Cambodia should be getting along with hand-outs. In every country, the pandemic is hitting the poor hardest, and I don't see how it is the fault of the poor if there are a load of greedy bastards who are not paying their share.

As one example: This worthy organization works for child protection in Sihanoukville, but they support whole families in need.
http://mloptapang.org/
I came across this on social media. It says that the organisation M'lop Tapang has been allowed to go into the closed red zone in sangkat 4 area of Sihanoukville to deliver assistance to families in need who are in lockdown.
I think they do a great job, so here's some photos.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Raising money for supplies for Phnom Penh red zone families in need:
Thanks all, we have raised over AUD25 000! But these people will need ongoing support, many have had little to zero income for months.

COVD Help - Food and Hygiene Kits in Phnom Penh

🚩 As the city opens up slowly, let’s remember that red zones are still locked and difficult to access. 🚩
IDEA’s team focused on the red zone of Steung Meanchey 2 yesterday and today, to distribute kits to waste collectors and street vendors. They still urgently need your help and support.
Please continue to share and contribute !
ABA : 002 379 039
Go Fund Me : https://gofund.me/131ea56a
Thanks 🧡🧡
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic