Charities and such organizations information?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Charities and such organizations information?

Post by KTabi »

lostjeremy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:37 pm
KTabi wrote:I was told to start a seperate thread last week to ask what charities and organizations one could support with time and/or money due to difficult times for sellers, tourism and travel workers, and lots of other people now.

I don't think anyone should have to go hungry or without shelter if it can be helped. What organizations do you recommend? Thank you for your time.
Why not just do it yourself?
Pretty easy to find families struggling, especially right now.
Our small middle class neighborhood has a couple of those families.
Not too difficult to go buy a few 50kg sacks of rice. A few cases of noodles and a few kilos of fish and help those around you.

Sent from my CPH2159 using Tapatalk
I am not in Cambodia at the moment, I've only got intentions to be there at some point in the near future. Of course covid and such makes things a little complicated on timelines. I originally only asked in response to reports of soaring food prices and markets closed down. I felt sad that decent people might have no food and assumed there might be some known charity at least making sure people got fed in these neighborhoods I intended to live in soon. Everywhere I and my family lives have strong welfare states and charitable organizations with large funds.
:thumb:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

KTabi wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:24 am
KTabi wrote:I was told to start a seperate thread last week to ask what charities and organizations one could support with time and/or money due to difficult times for sellers, tourism and travel workers, and lots of other people now.

I don't think anyone should have to go hungry or without shelter if it can be helped. What organizations do you recommend? Thank you for your time.
Not too difficult to go buy a few 50kg sacks of rice. A few cases of noodles and a few kilos of fish and help those around you.

I am not in Cambodia at the moment, I've only got intentions to be there at some point in the near future. Of course covid and such makes things a little complicated on timelines. I originally only asked in response to reports of soaring food prices and markets closed down. I felt sad that decent people might have no food and assumed there might be some known charity at least making sure people got fed in these neighborhoods I intended to live in soon. Everywhere I and my family lives have strong welfare states and charitable organizations with large funds.
Here they just have organizations with large funds
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

atst wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:31 am

Here they just have organizations with large funds
Well if everyone's taken care of and there is no more poverty then cheers my work is done lol
:thumb:
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

You are not here in Cambodia? As Lost J stated you can do here, just buy it and donate it. Have you ever lived here? Does not seem like it. "At the moment" sounds like never. There are very few opportunities for people in need to be supported here. Now it is tragic for them. Your stated mission is admirable and I hope you find a way to do good.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

PPUG wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:18 pm
I am very impressed by this organisation - COVD Help

They have a FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/covdhelp where you can contribute via ABA for their $8 "Food and Hygiene kits", which they are distributing in PP in conjunction with the IDEA NGO
Thank you for this. Will give. After all, sharing is caring. Others out there have stomachs too which go hungry when nothing is in it.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

the most effective charity may be to shame this govt's response
to the problems they have directly created

monstra mihi bona!
PPUG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PPUG »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 am the most effective charity may be to shame this govt's response
In the long term, possibly yes
In the short term, its a question of getting aid to people who are suffering
PPUG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PPUG »

[/quote]
I felt sad that decent people might have no food and assumed there might be some known charity at least making sure people got fed in these neighborhoods I intended to live in soon.
[/quote]

Why not contribute $8 to COVS Help or a similar organisation?

https://www.gofundme.com/f/covd-help-fo ... phnom-penh
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

PPUG wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:54 am
Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 am the most effective charity may be to shame this govt's response
The short term will be self perpetuating.

As long as aid agencies are taking up the mantle, what incentive does it give the power elite to transition to aiding their own people in a real, long term way?

If others are doing the lions share of aid.........the power structure will continue buying Bentley's.

It's time to rip off the band aid.

Take the average yearly income of a rice farming family of 4. Divide that by the cost of 1 Bentley. That amount could probably support them for 25 years.

It's called tough love. If you truly care about Cambodians then don't enable the power elite and don't turn the hoi palloi into codependents
PPUG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PPUG »

Brody wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:26 am
PPUG wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:54 am
The short term will be self perpetuating.

As long as aid agencies are taking up the mantle, what incentive does it give the power elite to transition to aiding their own people in a real, long term way?

If others are doing the lions share of aid.........the power structure will continue buying Bentley's.

It's time to rip off the band aid.

Take the average yearly income of a rice farming family of 4. Divide that by the cost of 1 Bentley. That amount could probably support them for 25 years.

It's called tough love. If you truly care about Cambodians then don't enable the power elite and don't turn the hoi palloi into codependents
"Tough love" isnt going to help someone who is starving today
Thats my opinion anyway
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic