Are your local food prices effected

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Are your local food prices effected

Post by Kammekor »

Sugar (1kg) went from 2,500 riel (last week) to 3,000 and now 3,500 in one week.

Ratanakiri market.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Just came back from my local Lucky.

Last week there was a run on them which had pretty much emptied them of everything. Very worrying.

Today, restocked very nicely. I picked up milk, cereal, fruit, veggies, and they were even restocked with decadent, western indulgences like imported cheese. :thumb:

I just had to tell the police that I was going to buy food and they let me right through the check point.

Glad to see common sense prevailing and markets being allowed to restock.

Well done competent authorities. :thumb:
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Brody wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:15 am Just came back from my local Lucky.

Last week there was a run on them which had pretty much emptied them of everything. Very worrying.

Today, restocked very nicely. I picked up milk, cereal, fruit, veggies, and they were even restocked with decadent, western indulgences like imported cheese. :thumb:

I just had to tell the police that I was going to buy food and they let me right through the check point.

Yes - and for those in the Red Zones, they can order online and have delivery right to their homes. No issue. Gruyère for the Ghettos.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Markets continue to be troublesome source of Covid-19 spread
Mom Kunthear | Publication date 22 April 2021 | 18:01 ICT
In the two months since the February 20 community outbreak of Covid-19, the government has suspended the operation of several markets and businesses and placed some villages in lockdown in Phnom Penh and the provinces.

So far, 35 markets have been shut down in Phnom Penh, Kandal, Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Chhnang, Battambang and Kampong Speu provinces.

Phnom Penh has shut down 14 markets including Orussey Market Business Center; Phsar Daeum Kor and the vegetable market; Phsar Chas; Tuol Sangke Market; Boeung Trabek Plaza; Trapang Tloeung Market; Psar Ekreach I , Tuol Pongro; Century Plaza; Pochentong Market; Phum Phsar Kandal ; Depo Market ; Chhouk Meas Market and Happy Family Market; and Olympic Market.

Boeung Keng Kang district governor Thim Sam An said that Olympic Market had been shut down temporarily from April 21.

“We decided to suspend Olympic Market for 14 days from April 21 to May 5 to stop Covid-19 from spreading to vendors, consumers and residents exiting and entering this market,” he said.

An also called on vendors, security guards, staff and workers serving in the market from April 8-14 to be tested for Covid-19 if they had any symptoms. Testing is available for them at the Chenla Theatre’s compound .

Sen Sok district governor Mov Manith also suspended operation of Chhouk Meas Market, Happy Family Market and all businesses around them for 14 days from April 21 to May 5 in Krang Thnong and Kork Khleang communes.

In Kampong Chhnang province the Santhea Satha Pagoda, Prey Khmer Market and Phsar Chhnang Clinic in Kampong Chhnang town and Rolea B'ier district have been shut down.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... -19-spread
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

imagine the economic bonanza
if all these backward, dirty, disease-ridden markets were closed for good
and the land sold off to develop slick new modern safe and healthy shopping plazas

monstra mihi bona!
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

More likely the delivery oriented businesses will flourish.
Overhead is low,
Run from home.
Wing just got a banking license so payments will become easier.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

just deliver direct from the wholesaler then
people like to shop
i imagine shiny new chip mong supermarkets

monstra mihi bona!
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Wholesalers like LSH won't drop ship.
You have to have an aggregator. Nham24 et al have occupied this position.
Chip Mong was among the first to get through the delivery hassles in lockdown
People buy the same 30 items from a supermarket again and again.
People are lazy.
Shopping takes time and costs money if away from work.
Online with a gateway for payment will boom.
All these FB sellers are proof.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

beerlaodrinker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:02 am

Yes - and for those in the Red Zones, they can order online and have delivery right to their homes. No issue. Gruyère for the Ghettos.
Not sure if they're all familiar with that process and / or have the money to use those services.
I mean, an orange at Lucky has a different price than an orange in a local market...
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:46 pm
beerlaodrinker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:02 am

Not sure if they're all familiar with that process and / or have the money to use those services.
I mean, an orange at Lucky has a different price than an orange in a local market...
That, my dear friend, is the advantage. Finally the chance to upsell. All Cambodians can become rich this way and get jobs that means they can sport hipster beards and jaunty hats.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic