Are your local food prices effected

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Are your local food prices effected

Post by Kammekor »

beerlaodrinker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:15 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:05 pm The supply chain was broken when they closed the big wholesale market. You can't just turn it back on like a tap.
When farmers stop getting production price they stop planting- there will be sustained ripple effects of this for months.
The total loss of wasted produce during a market closedown, truck delivery refusal or other fuckup will financially ruin the family suffering the loss.
Even if they can survive, many will say, fuck it, we are not doing that again.
Time to live in the province.
Demand in the non-locked-down areas (scared of also being locked down) will more than replace demand from Phnom Penh. Don't forget Cambodia has 17,000,000 citizens, only about 15% is in lockdown now. 85% is stocking up one way or another.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 pm The main crops currently harvested are cashew nuts, avocados, jackfruit and rubber.
a lot of the food comes from vietnam
as nemo says, they have probably broken a perfectly functional supply chain
and the effect of that will last many many months
just look at the current silicon chip crunch and the reasons for it

personally i've always wanted to try emergency disaster-relief rations
and i hear they're selling them below market price!

monstra mihi bona!
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Hard to get anthing 50 % off at Lucky these days.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:29 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 pm The main crops currently harvested are cashew nuts, avocados, jackfruit and rubber.
a lot of the food comes from vietnam
as nemo says, they have probably broken a perfectly functional supply chain
and the effect of that will last many many months
just look at the current silicon chip crunch and the reasons for it

personally i've always wanted to try emergency disaster-relief rations
and i hear they're selling them below market price!
I could follow you until the 'silicon chip crunch'.
I live out in the province, close to Vietnam, and I notice people stocking up seriously replacing demand from Phnom Penh.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Patcan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 pm Hard to get anthing 50 % off at Lucky these days.
Hard to get any food at a regular price outside of the big chains.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 pm I could follow you until the 'silicon chip crunch'.
I live out in the province, close to Vietnam, and I notice people stocking up seriously replacing demand from Phnom Penh.
and once stocked?

monstra mihi bona!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 pm I could follow you until the 'silicon chip crunch'.
and once stocked?
No, why? Outside of Phnom Penh there's a market six times as big. If one in six stocks up a bit the Phnom Penh demand is replaced.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Where I live people stock up on rice, fish, beef, pork (they will dry it by themselves to conserve it). Much of that comes from Vietnam.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:39 pm
Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 pm
and once stocked?
No, why? Outside of Phnom Penh there's a market six times as big. If one in six stocks up a bit the Phnom Penh demand is replaced.
for a week or so, perhaps, but where's it coming from anyway?
a glance at import traffic might indicate if there is going to be a problem

monstra mihi bona!
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

beerlaodrinker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:15 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:05 pm The supply chain was broken when they closed the big wholesale market. You can't just turn it back on like a tap.
When farmers stop getting production price they stop planting- there will be sustained ripple effects of this for months.

Time to live in the province.
Err no thanks, did that in thailand for a good while, was shit there, here worse so in my experience, albeit limited.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic