Are your local food prices effected

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Are your local food prices effected

Post by AndyKK »

Patcan wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:59 pm Oversupply of vegetables here today... Even the local barber and shoe shop have gone into the vegetable business....
Got Lucky at Lucky Supermarket with the 3 in 1 coffee at half price....same time as last year when I bought 10 pack ×25 sachets.... Was low on coffee too....3 month supply.....
Milk and yougurt 1/2 price too...beef1/2 price...still more expensie than outdoor narket prices though....
Nopork at all but had large expensive packs if prawns....
Old apples 1/2 price....
yes, it's the same in my area of Chbar Ampov all manner of shop have gone into veg sales. Works two ways that, being only food outlets and essentials too be open.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

nemo wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:33 pm Cops caned the veg sellers off the periphery of PC market this morning.
Supermarkets mostly out of fruit and veg.
They are missing a trick. The vendors could replace lost revenue with S&M movie rights.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I keep it’s cousin and it’s little brothers at home.

Good for 10-25 years (at least)

Just in case.

Please stay safe out there!
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:29 pm Image

Just in case.

Edible for 10-25 years. Not sure it will qualify as good
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

cautious colin wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:52 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:29 pm Image

Just in case.

Edible for 10-25 years. Not sure it will qualify as food
FTFY <3
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Good hindsight, being well prepared. Only two on Amazon and others in stock, delivery and import duty ouch! But that is immaterial if you're starving or have no money, oh and can't get it because there is little movement in the city or country when you're on lockdown. I was hoping that they had around 16 million in stock, that may have helped.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

All state markets and unregulated markets in Phnom Penh are to be closed for 14 days

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50844353/a ... r-14-days/
[Mod edit: please be careful when making certain allegations about the authorities handling of covid restrictions and the associated language used
post489313.html#p489313]

monstra mihi bona!
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Phnom Poon wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:23 am
All state markets and unregulated markets in Phnom Penh are to be closed for 14 days

let's turn a serious situation into a disaster

other countries seem to be able to handle the pandemic without starving the population
i guess farmboy's KR habits die hard
Chinese wet markets had to close I think.

Poorer people who can’t go to supermarkets are going to struggle especially. Terrible for sellers too. Will the government give assistance for those who lose income?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Error404
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Error404 »

violet wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:10 am
Phnom Poon wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:23 am

let's turn a serious situation into a disaster

other countries seem to be able to handle the pandemic without starving the population
i guess farmboy's KR habits die hard
Chinese wet markets had to close I think.

Poorer people who can’t go to supermarkets are going to struggle especially. Terrible for sellers too. Will the government give assistance for those who lose income?
Yes, it used to be $50 - $75 but now they are giving out rice, soy sauce, fish sauce, canned fish, and a pack of noodles. The biggest question is after a month of this how are most Khmers going to pay rent and utilities, I doubt the bank is taking payments in rice.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Phnom Penh Municipality has just announced tonight that it will close all “state-run and unregulated market” all over the capital for 14 days.
This late sudden directive was announced as yet another sudden move by the authorities to curb the coronavirus in Cambodia and the markets have a big source of community infections.

It also requires all the vendors and security guards in the markets which have operated since April 14 to come to the nearest testing sites to have their sample taken to be tested for the coronavirus. After that, they will have to quarantine themselves for another 14 days.

The authorities in all 14 districts in Phnom Penh shall be responsible for this task while the people who violate the orders shall face legal action.

Some of the big and popular markets have had had hundreds of vendors, security, officials and patrons tested positive for COVID-19 and have already been shut.

Tonight’s decision means all remaining markets have to be closed and by morning, the authorities are going to face a nightmarish situation of people having no markets open to get their fresh food and meat supplies due to the mandatory shutdown and testing, as ordered by the Phnom Penh authority.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic