Are your local food prices effected

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Are your local food prices effected

Post by Chuck Borris »

pissontheroof wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:57 am
Chuck Borris wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:38 am Was in Thai Hout in Bkk1 on Monday. No dairy products in cooler, no meat, no ham, no veggies, no bread, no eggs. Today I bought yogurt, eggs, bread, meat and some veggies. Looks like thing are going back to new normal. Would still kill for red tomatoes and bell pepper. :please:
Tomatoes and peppers ?
You’re not hard to please , jeez .. our store was full of fresh milk but only had 2 half gallons in of the normally full chocolate milk section , so I passed on them and got hersheys chocolate syrup , improvise !
If you come from Mediterranean you appreciate good tasty tomatoes.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Chuck Borris wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:40 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:57 am
Chuck Borris wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:38 am Was in Thai Hout in Bkk1 on Monday. No dairy products in cooler, no meat, no ham, no veggies, no bread, no eggs. Today I bought yogurt, eggs, bread, meat and some veggies. Looks like thing are going back to new normal. Would still kill for red tomatoes and bell pepper. :please:
Tomatoes and peppers ?
You’re not hard to please , jeez .. our store was full of fresh milk but only had 2 half gallons in of the normally full chocolate milk section , so I passed on them and got hersheys chocolate syrup , improvise !
If you come from Mediterranean you appreciate good tasty tomatoes.
Nothing a good whopper couldn’t replace !
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The other half has just returned from the market- shopping for Ban Lai, vegetables at Psar Kandal. Normal price that she’d be paying is around $1 per Kilo, today over $3, and with choice and quality well down. Not totally unexpected, and for us (the family at least, as I’m not there) it’s not an insurmountable problem. For locals, without our means, I wonder what thoughts are going through their minds?
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Cops caned the veg sellers off the periphery of PC market this morning.
Supermarkets mostly out of fruit and veg.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Don't complain or you will get the whip!
Revolt!
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The ministry maintained there is no shortage of local vegetables but it has been difficult to transport them to and in Phnom Penh because of lockdown measures.

Lim Porty, the marketing manager for Phnom Penh-based Natural Agricultural Village told Khmer Times that while lockdown is ongoing, vegetables from 20 provinces, mostly from Kandal and Mondulkiri provinces, are being transported by taxi, while vegetables from neighbouring provinces such as Kandal province are being delivered by tuktuks.

She added that during lockdown, however, it has been difficult to transport the vegetables to their final destination. Authorities have not allowed some shipments to enter the city, she said, despite drivers having proper identification. Lim said this has hurt the vegetable supply in the city.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50843783/a ... -concerns/
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Supermarkets are having problems because of staff living in red zones and also not being able to get through barriers. My local street market was normal enough on Monday, now it's mostly closed and there are just eggs and noodles and stuff on sale. I might attempt to leave my area to pick up groceries and pizza supplies tomorrow.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Mrs Cargo had mixed luck with ordering food online from FB sellers. She originally rang a veggie supply place and the line never answered..so she left a message with her ph number on messenger to call her back. 2 days later they called and when she asked for her particular order..sorry, we have no stock of those veggies.

Next one. Beef seller (supposedly Aussie beef) phone line always busy. Left message again. Rang back next day so she put in an order for delivery the next day. Next day no delivery however they call to say sorry, delivery driver couldn't get through. Today, we got delivery approx $15 for 2kgs beef.
$2.50 for driver delivery.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Oversupply of vegetables here today... Even the local barber and shoe shop have gone into the vegetable business....
Got Lucky at Lucky Supermarket with the 3 in 1 coffee at half price....same time as last year when I bought 10 pack ×25 sachets.... Was low on coffee too....3 month supply.....
Milk and yougurt 1/2 price too...beef1/2 price...still more expensie than outdoor narket prices though....
Nopork at all but had large expensive packs if prawns....
Old apples 1/2 price....
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Sun-dried beef 75,000 riel a kilo...got 1....large sundried fish.....32,000 riel a kilo...got 3....lucked out with a lady selling on a moto...
teuk thla market and everythig nearby was closed...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic