Experience of Going to Get Tested and Swabbing Positive

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Experience of Going to Get Tested and Swabbing Positive

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:22 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:34 pm In early Jan 2020, I caught what I thought was the flu. Apart from fever and pains, within 48 hrs a mild cough turned to a deeper chest cough. I've had the flu twice in my life before but never did I developed a deep cough in such a short space of time. I went to my doctor quick smart who said I had bronchitis already and prescribed anti-biotics and a decongestant. Within 3 days I was much better cough wise but tired for 2 weeks.

With hindsight I wonder now whether it was covid..maybe, maybe not. The doctor said the next stage is pneumonia if it is not controlled. Don't want to unnecessarily scare members but whether or not you decide to get tested, I urge you to not delay seeking treatment if you develop chest/breathing issues..sounds like this thing can move very fast.
If AB's fixed you it was a bacterial infection, not viral. AB's aint fixing Covid-19 severe symptoms.
I'm not a doctor but AFAIK often (not always) viruses can, in turn trigger bacterial infections.. Whether it's the flu, covid or other respiratory disease, they can lead to bronchitus (inflammation of the bronchial tubes) or pneumonia (lung infection). Isn't that what covid patients are needing ventilators for and dying of?

I had a high fever, chills and body pins and needles before the cough set in. That's from a virus not a bacterial infection, no?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:40 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:34 pm In early Jan 2020, I caught what I thought was the flu. Apart from fever and pains, within 48 hrs a mild cough turned to a deeper chest cough. I've had the flu twice in my life before but never did I developed a deep cough in such a short space of time. I went to my doctor quick smart who said I had bronchitis already and prescribed anti-biotics and a decongestant. Within 3 days I was much better cough wise but tired for 2 weeks.

With hindsight I wonder now whether it was covid..maybe, maybe not. The doctor said the next stage is pneumonia if it is not controlled. Don't want to unnecessarily scare members but whether or not you decide to get tested, I urge you to not delay seeking treatment if you develop chest/breathing issues..sounds like this thing can move very fast.
If AB's fixed you it was a bacterial infection, not viral. AB's aint fixing Covid-19 severe symptoms.
I'm not a doctor but AFAIK often (not always) viruses can, in turn trigger bacterial infections.. Whether it's the flu, covid or other respiratory disease, they can lead to bronchitus (inflammation of the bronchial tubes) or pneumonia (lung infection). Isn't that what covid patients are needing ventilators for and dying of?

I had a high fever, chills and body pins and needles before the cough set in. That's from a virus not a bacterial infection, no?
It's called a secondary infection and it's treated with antibiotics. The problem is so far antibiotics have not reduced the number of people clearing covid-19 in trials.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:44 pm

It's called a secondary infection and it's treated with antibiotics. The problem is so far antibiotics have not reduced the number of people clearing covid-19 in trials.
Of course antibiotics are ineffective against viruses. That is well known. However it is precisely the secondary infections and/or together with compromised immune systems that some people have due to pre-existing conditions that is leading to covid 19 tiggered deaths.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:50 pm

Of course antibiotics are ineffective against viruses. That is well known. However it is precisely the secondary infections and/or together with compromised immune systems that some people have due to pre-existing conditions that is leading to covid 19 tiggered deaths.
Compromised immune system? Most serious patients don't have compromised immune systems but suffer from an immune system in overdrive attacking their own body resulting in a cytokinin storm. That's why in these days patients get dexamethasone or similar to reduce the reaction of the immune system.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

FYI to the OP: you can go to Damko market (near Mao Tse Tung/Charles de Gaulle). New test there, results in 30 minutes. Wife's sister and brother-in-law went today as they said anyone who had been to the market up until the 5th should be tested. Both negative luckily.

So if you want quick peace of mind it's an option (just tell people you're going to Damko market for a test).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:01 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:50 pm

Compromised immune system? Most serious patients don't have compromised immune systems but suffer from an immune system in overdrive attacking their own body resulting in a cytokinin storm. That's why in these days patients get dexamethasone or similar to reduce the reaction of the immune system.
OK, I meant people with pre existing conditions eg heart issues, diabetes, kidney issues, obesity, smokers, athsma etc that therefore find it harder to fight covid and hence at higher risk of dying from covid.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:09 pm FYI to the OP: you can go to Damko market (near Mao Tse Tung/Charles de Gaulle). New test there, results in 30 minutes. Wife's sister and brother-in-law went today as they said anyone who had been to the market up until the 5th should be tested. Both negative luckily.

So if you want quick peace of mind it's an option (just tell people you're going to Damko market for a test).
That sounds like a lateral flow test. The rate of false positives is reportedly quite high and should always be confirmed by a PCR test.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:08 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:09 pm FYI to the OP: you can go to Damko market (near Mao Tse Tung/Charles de Gaulle). New test there, results in 30 minutes. Wife's sister and brother-in-law went today as they said anyone who had been to the market up until the 5th should be tested. Both negative luckily.

That sounds like a lateral flow test. The rate of false positives is reportedly quite high and should always be confirmed by a PCR test.
Let's add a little more to this, just to put us all in a safer thought, If the covid19 virus was laid dormient at the time of a PCR test would it show the virus?

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2020 ... reactivate
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Are dormant carriers of COVID-19 the primary cause of spike in global infections?

Authorities around the world have claimed that COVID-19 coronavirus can be contained by quarantining individuals who show any flu-like symptoms as per the guidelines given by the World Health Organization (WHO).

However, new patterns of infections suggest that dormant carriers of the infection, i.e., people who may be carrying the infection but do not show symptoms could be the primary contact points among people who find themselves infected or develop symptoms.

The symptoms in question include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. This made the job of healthcare officials easier, for it implied isolating people with symptoms. However, with this new development, it becomes harder to trace who may be carrying the virus and to whom it may have spread.

Also read: Poverty, population and weak healthcare: Coronavirus cases on the rise in South Asia

https://www.wionews.com/world/are-dorma ... ons-286827
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 am Do the responsible thing and go get tested dude. The faster you do so, the faster we can end this whole thing. They announced that mild cases would be sent at home as they don't have enough beds to hold everyone (including mild/asymptomatic cases). Also some info as to where/when to go if symptoms worsen.

The most likely outcome would be the apartment building being cordoned off, but that won't make any difference to anyone given the current lockdown situation. So your neighbours won't hate you... They also now have rapid (30 min) tests. Not sure if they'd use them on a walk-in, but something to consider. They do let you take possessions/clothing in the unlikely event that they send you to a positive case center. But yeah, stop thinking about possible ramifications and get tested. Aren't you curious? I suppose another option would be to stay at home for two full weeks... Which you're already doing I presume. But we've seen cases deteriorate very quickly.
Hey guys thanks for the asking this... follow up question... i would like to get a CV test, the rapid test, heres why, I would like to get the rapid test, then purchase airline tickets so that I know im negative, then if necessary go and get the real PCR test, before i get on the airplane, just so i can make sure i dont lose the tickets with a positive CV.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic