Western Union closed/unreachable?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Western Union closed/unreachable?

Post by bong.kuit »

Maybe someone has experience with this...

I wanted to send some money to my girl, but she said she is unable to get to Western Union. Are they maybe closed due to KNY and not bc of the restrictions?
It seems strange to me that picking up money is not one of the exceptions to get through the roadblocks tbh.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Western Union closed/unreachable?

Post by nemo »

Today the movement restrictions are very severe.
You cannot move far from home.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

If she has an ABA account you could send moneygram and she can transfer to her account using the app. Maybe other ways as well that don't involve going anywhere.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

She could also collect from a Wing shop in her area if she can see one open - many are also mini-marts, etc that are still open, but she'll need to do it nearby as cross city travel is a pain in the backside.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

Make sure she knows closest western union location ,(many locals don't know they think aeon only western union ) Paypal/xoom mass pick up locations (she don't need bank account same western union )
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

At some point I need to withdraw some cash for myself luckily the local Tela has an ATM so im good. You could use Zelle for between bank accts but not sure this works here.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

If you have

1. An ABA or Wing account, you can send her money within the app. If she has a Wing account, she can redeem the code within her app (added to her Wing balance) which can easily be converted to cash if she has friends or relatives who can accept a Wing transfer from her.
2. No account in Cambodia, you can send her Western Union or MoneyGram. If she has a Wing account, she can redeem either within the app (added to her Wing balance). If she doesn't have a Wing account but knows someone who does and whom she trusts to receive on her behalf, you could send to that person who in turn can give her cash. There is no need to go to a Wing branch. The transferred money is "collected" within the Wing app.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

Thanks guys, I'll probably use xoom to ABA. I guess the banks are closed right now due to KNY.
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Western Union is a separate company here. It is not guaranteed by the corporate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic