PP lockdown - anyone stuck in a sangkat they shouldn't be in?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

PP lockdown - anyone stuck in a sangkat they shouldn't be in?

Post by Sheepdog »

Hey all!

How are we doing? I'm just curious as to whether anyone else got caught out with the 'surprise' lockdown of sangkats within Phnom Penh?

I know we were all told not to travel outside of Phnom Penh, but many went to visit their families within PP which seemed like a safe enough idea at the time.

My wife took the kid and did this, they went to spend a few days at her mum's place to celebrate KNY there. (About 10km away)

I decided to have a few days at home just chilling by myself before visiting them. (Very glad that I made this choice!)

As it's now looking like they both have to stay within that sangkat for the next 2 weeks or possibly longer.

There are of course a few pros to being home alone.. the peace and quiet to read and catch up on some things I'd been putting off. No nagging whatsoever about my alcohol consumption and what to binge watch.

Cons - extended and unintended separation from wife and baby due to ridiculous law measures with no official warnings that could have given people time to prepare and avoid the panic that many of us experienced.

And perhaps worst of all.. I have to cook and clean my place! Oh the fucking horror. :O:

I have been socially distancing myself from the mop and bucket for quite some time! πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Anyone have the same issue? Any paperwork that could be got to let her pass through the roadblocks?

I suppose I could hire an ambulance or an army truck. πŸ€”

Right that's my wee rant over.. advice and of course a bit of banter appreciated.

Time for a wee glug! Cheers :beer:
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: PP lockdown - anyone stuck in a sangkat they shouldn't be in?

Post by Phnom Poon »

lol
at least you're home, it could have been worse
your longtime could have turned into a very longtime

monstra mihi bona!
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

Phnom Poon wrote: ↑Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:04 pm lol
This is true... πŸ˜†

I would not be finding things so humorous if the shoe was on the other foot and I was not allowed back to the comforts of my home and marooned on the other side of the city!

Crazy times!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Pretty certain "returning to my own home" is a solid reason for travel even across sangkats. The fact she has a baby even more so, "hey hold this because I'm out of nappies & he's shitting everywhere ... if only I could get home ..." :-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Sheepdog wrote: ↑Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:34 pm
This is true... πŸ˜†

I would not be finding things so humorous if the shoe was on the other foot and I was not allowed back to the comforts of my home and marooned on the other side of the city!

Crazy times!

In one of condos fully locked down for covid with police at the door i know a guy that got stuck with a "long time" lady and now she is staying the full 14 days+ in there, no choice.
I wonder what this veeeery long time will cost him.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jack.R. wrote: ↑Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:23 am
Sheepdog wrote: ↑Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:34 pm
This is true... πŸ˜†

Crazy times!

In one of condos fully locked down for covid with police at the door i know a guy that got stuck with a "long time" lady and now she is staying the full 14 days+ in there, no choice.
I wonder what this veeeery long time will cost him.
I wonder, laughter or tears :P
Always "hope" but never "expect".
snoink
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by snoink »

...shacked up with a pack of feral, nubile, little brown meth-heads, running out of crystal..if only you weren't so LimP...
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Sheepdog wrote: ↑Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:31 pm
And perhaps worst of all.. I have to cook and clean my place! Oh the fucking horror. :O:

I have been socially distancing myself from the mop and bucket for quite some time! πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
There must be a mop and drop service available within your sangkat. You should be OK for a year or two once that is set up!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If she has documents to proof she lives in another Sangkat and shows the police those documents they will probably let her through to get home, especially if she brings the baby. Send het a photo of one of those documents and let her try.

Last year they closed the schools in April, reopened in October. This won't take just two weeks I think. If she doesn't come over you might have to clean and cook for a long time.

One risk though, an over worried policeman might let her pass on the condition you all quarantine for 14 days. Consider if that would be worth it....

Otherwise: rent an ambulance. :stir:
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

armchairlawyer wrote: ↑Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:00 am
Sheepdog wrote: ↑Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:31 pm

There must be a mop and drop service available within your sangkat. You should be OK for a year or two once that is set up!
Aye.. this is true! What am I worrying about..?! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Kammekor wrote: ↑Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:08 am If she has documents to proof she lives in another Sangkat and shows the police those documents they will probably let her through to get home, especially if she brings the baby. Send het a photo of one of those documents and let her try.

Last year they closed the schools in April, reopened in October. This won't take just two weeks I think. If she doesn't come over you might have to clean and cook for a long time.

One risk though, an over worried policeman might let her pass on the condition you all quarantine for 14 days. Consider if that would be worth it....

Otherwise: rent an ambulance. :stir:
Cheers, I thought this also and have already suggested contacting our landlord, she should also be able to get a letter from her work that she needs to return home as that is where her laptop is etc

After speaking with her this morning she seems quite happy to be stuck where she is for now. She's still in holiday mode. I may as well make the most of it too!

And quite frankly if shit hits the fan and she ends up stuck there for a few months after not taking my advice, that's on her πŸ˜‚

I'll keep yous updated if/when and how she gets back. It might be useful information for others!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic