Siem Reap road blockages

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Siem Reap road blockages

Post by TWY »

Yesterday/Today they went around and have blocked off several streets/bridges.

If you need to go from one part of Siem Reap to another you need to head up to route 6 and cross the bridge. Although it appears the main road is cut off you can then detour around and get back to route 6 and continue. Yesterday there were some police at various roads but today I didn't see any police out and about.

It has been successful in cutting down the number of folks out and about. Grocery store was virtually empty.

What is somewhat funny is driving down the street and seeing what businesses are open and closed. Somehow the sporting goods store was open this morning as was the speaker store and a few of the electronics stores. The local market my wife goes to was told yesterday to close at 12 but today since no police came by they were remaining open.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Siem Reap road blockages

Post by TWY »

For anyone in Siem Reap. Today they've added additional barricades and they are manned by police. At a minimum you'll need ID card to pass. Along with a very good reason for being out. I watched several people being told a firm no and to go home. All of them had no ID on them. Food and passport was accepted this morning. Told to immediately return home after getting food. Looked to me like they had closed down additional businesses as fewer were open today on the drive.
Typhoon28
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Typhoon28 »

Driving around today there are still a few places open and some restaurants still doing dine in. No issue at all getting to the supermarkets or the bank. Having said that there is a real desolate feel throughout town now, with all the road digging and lack of people, the excavators are more of a road block than the police.

Sent from my LLD-L21 using Tapatalk

TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

For whatever its worth, today they had things a bit more locked down this morning. My wife was told to go somewhere out near the night market (not the tourist trap in town) and she got a form, which she then took to the local police for them to sign it, and then she went back out and got the form stamped.

It supposedly allows her to now cross over the bridge into Siem Reap to go to the grocery store/bank/etc with the understanding she is to immediately return. The form is entirely in Khmer and I don't know what it says in full. She attempted to get me added to it but the policeman said no.

To add some confusion to the matter, my wife's friend (who is also Khmer and lives next door) attempted to do the exact same thing and was denied..... for reasons no one seemed to understand.

The form has my wife's photo ( which is just a 2X2 that we pasted on ), the signature of the local police, the signature and stamp of the Siem Reap authority (not sure exactly which one), and her signature. Along with what I assume is official permission for her to be allowed through the barricades where they exist for the purpose of buying food or doing other necessary things. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Today my wife took her paper and was let through into Siem Reap with no issue.

Amazingly, the road construction near us has restarted today. Cement trucks and gravel trucks appeared this morning along with a crew of about 25-30 guys.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

TWY wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:20 pm For whatever its worth, today they had things a bit more locked down this morning. My wife was told to go somewhere out near the night market (not the tourist trap in town) and she got a form, which she then took to the local police for them to sign it, and then she went back out and got the form stamped.

It supposedly allows her to now cross over the bridge into Siem Reap to go to the grocery store/bank/etc with the understanding she is to immediately return. The form is entirely in Khmer and I don't know what it says in full. She attempted to get me added to it but the policeman said no.

To add some confusion to the matter, my wife's friend (who is also Khmer and lives next door) attempted to do the exact same thing and was denied..... for reasons no one seemed to understand.

The form has my wife's photo ( which is just a 2X2 that we pasted on ), the signature of the local police, the signature and stamp of the Siem Reap authority (not sure exactly which one), and her signature. Along with what I assume is official permission for her to be allowed through the barricades where they exist for the purpose of buying food or doing other necessary things. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
None of the family next door to you have that paper yet? I remember reading somewhere that they would give it to only one person per household. Maybe the reason why they refused to add you too?
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

My wife's friend is going to go back next week to try again. She had said she needed to go to the market - believe she was told to go to the local one. It could be that I was denied due to household limit, but we didn't ask and for a few weeks its no big deal. As long as she can get to the grocery store we're good.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Today still needed papers to enter Siem Reap. Was hoping maybe the gym might be open but no dice, owner said he hasn't gotten any kind of word about business being allowed to start again. Spoke with a few policemen and they indicated its kind of a jumbled mess in terms of exactly what should be happening. Did notice a few roads "open" that had been previously taped off but didn't venture down to see if we could avoid the road block to enter SR.

Road construction near us is ongoing with about 40 construction workers working on nearby road today. The part I don't understand is that when working they are kind of socially distanced - but then comes time to eat and they are all crammed together side by side in the shade eating and talking and laughing. Hope for their sake no one is sick.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Today no papers needed! A bit surprising given there was a small group of positive tests yesterday but I'll take it. We'll see how long it lasts.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic