Deputy Chief of Staff of the National Police General Commission Arrested for New Year Party

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Deputy Chief of Staff of the National Police General Commission Arrested for New Year Party

Post by John Bingham »

Artisan wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:05 am I don't see it as public shaming per se, but just a news article.
You must be new around here. It's a message to other high officials who think they can act with impunity.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Deputy Chief of Staff of the National Police General Commission Arrested for New Year Party

Post by Artisan »

Is this the first time a high ranking official doing something wrong/illegal and getting punished for it?
pebbles&nightsky
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

No, but there have been far more cases in the past few weeks than I can ever recall happening in such a short period.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Artisan wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:05 am I don't see it as public shaming per se, but just a news article.
General is named and shamed and stripped of his rank for disobeying the law. That's a lot for Cambodia.
(And I'm all for it. Keep it up.)
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

Ha! Be out in 3 days. Just a show.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

Which brings me back to my first post on this thread when AM reacted on the RT news article.
I see a news article, without any pictures.
The picture posted above is from 2 weeks before from a different news outlet.
All I wonder is whether bringing news - in a newspaper - can be considered as public shaming.
Nothing more, nothing less.
And no I have no sympathy for the offender.
He won't go poorly since he gets rent from (one of) the surrounding building(s).
pebbles&nightsky
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE
Appeal Rejected by the Supreme Court
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): The Council of the Supreme Court on the morning of January 24, 2022, announced that it would uphold the verdict of the lower court in the appeal of the former Deputy Chief of Staff of the National Police General Commission and his two accomplices. The three men were charged with organizing a party with singing, music and drinking during the lockdown and restrictions decreed by the Royal Government of Cambodia as well as the administration of Phnom Penh Capital Hall to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 virus in 2021.

The three defendants are:
1. Ung Chanthuok, male, 45 years old, Deputy Chief of Staff of the General Commission of the National Police, the rank of Major General, and owner of the house where the party took place
2. Lay Phearun, male, 28 years old, working as a housekeeper for Ung Chanthuk.
3- Kok Khi, male, 35 years old, working as a housekeeper for Ung Chanthuk.

It should be noted that the above case was tried by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on April 29, 2021 and the sentences were 18 months jail for the senior policeman, and 12 months for his two employees.In addition, a fine of 5 million riels per person was imposed to the state budget.The above three defendants were investigated by Mr. Long Cheab, Deputy Prosecutor of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, who decided to prosecute them under Article 4 and Article 11 of the Covid Law.

Defendants were arrested by Meanchey District Police Force in cooperation with the intervention force of the National Police General Commission after they organized a drinking, dancing and playing powder party, with the participation of about 30 to 40 guests on the night of April 16, 2021 in the village Damnak Thom 2, Sangkat Stung Meanchey 3, Khan Meanchey, Phnom Penh, in violation of the anti-Covid 19 law, which was in place at this time during the Khmer New Year.

The defendent, Ung Chanthuok, has now had his appeals rejected by the Court of Appeal and now the Supreme Court, which means that he must serve out his sentence.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Public shaming for sure - but was it really for the partying?
Was it even for privately powdering with two gay mates on NYE instead of attending those boring old family do's?

Or did he, or his patron, or his faction, suddenly loose that valuable franchise for some other reason?
Great excuse, they always are.

C'mon News - what's the goss on the rumours behind the whispers behind the smoke screens? That will usually be closer to the truth than the cover story in matters like this.

ffs If moral turpitude was a hanging offence in this country there would hardly be a senior official alive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic