A new Coca-Cola plant announced

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

A new Coca-Cola plant announced

Post by Soi Dog »

Good to see more investment in Cambodia.
Coke to build $100M plant at PPSEZ
Wed, 1 April 2015
Charles Rollet

Coca-Cola will build a second factory in Cambodia, investing $100 million into a new plant in the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone that will more than triple its current output, company officials said yesterday.

The news comes on the heels of a meeting in November during which Prime Minister HE and one of Coca-Cola’s regional representatives announced that the American beverage behemoth would expand its factory in the Kingdom.

Lina Lim, public affairs manager for Cambodia Beverage Company Ltd, Coca-Cola’s Cambodian distributor, said yesterday that construction of the plant would begin in May or June, taking about a year until it is fully operational.

“We didn’t really focus on Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone [at first], but after studying the price, area, and so on and so forth and [after] comparing, we can answer that PPSEZ was the one that met all the criteria that [Coke] was looking for,” Lim said.

According to company statistics, Coca-Cola produced 20.52 million unit cases in Cambodia in 2014, with 24 beverages in each case. Its new factory, however, aims to produce 42 million unit cases alone, more than tripling total capacity.

Coca-Cola’s current and only factory in the Kingdom, which dates back to 1993, has not kept up with rising demand, having had to more than double its output from 10 million unit cases in 2012 to 21 million last year.

“The current plant that we have is a little bit small, so we need a bigger plant to conduct our operations,” Lim said, adding that Cambodia’s rapid growth and relative stability were further spurs to investment.

Revenue for Cambodia Beverage Ltd was also up 21.4 per cent from 2013 to 2014 to $78.19 million.

The plant, which will add about 300 workers to Coca-Cola’s Cambodia operations' current payroll of over 650, will also add a number of unspecified Coke products to its existing roster in an attempt to diversify its portfolio.

Ministry of Commerce spokesman Ken Ratha said Coca-Cola’s expansion plans were “another step in the growing American investment in Cambodia”.

“Relations between the two countries are improving,” he said.
“We are trying to promote more American business to Cambodia,” Ratha added, citing an upcoming Cambodian business delegation to the United States composed of Commerce Minister Sun Chanthol and other business leaders.

The chief executive of PPSEZ, Hiroshi Uematsu, declined to comment at the time due to ongoing discussions with Coca-Cola.

The Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone, a 357-hectare sliver of land located on the outskirts of the capital, currently has 77 companies, which have invested $365 million so far.

The SEZ is modeled as a “one-stop shop” service centre where companies can sort out their legal, infrastructure, and logistical issues in one place.

The PPSEZ, Cambodia’s most developed special economic zone, is also aiming to list on the Kingdom’s fledgling stock exchange by mid-year.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/c ... lant-ppsez
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: A new Coca-Cola plant announced

Post by Joker Poker »

In 10 years time Cambodia will catch up with Malaysia for fatties. This is not good news, no matter how they SUGAR coat it.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

It's the FPE in me but I really want to know who is going to do the fire protection in this expansion lol.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Joker Poker wrote:In 10 years time Cambodia will catch up with Malaysia for fatties. This is not good news, no matter how they SUGAR coat it.
Good news for jobs and development in Cambodia.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Soi Dog wrote:
Joker Poker wrote:In 10 years time Cambodia will catch up with Malaysia for fatties. This is not good news, no matter how they SUGAR coat it.
I think so.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Soi Dog wrote:
I think so. Recently there are so many employment opportunities at PPSEZ, as there are so many factories there. Not to mention, they pay well and stick with Cambodia Labour Law. Most of them won by Japaneses, much better than Chinese own factories. However, the thing is that it is quite far from the city, that's why i always hesitated to apply for any posts.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
I think so. Recently there are so many employment opportunities at PPSEZ, as there are so many factories there. Not to mention, they pay well and stick with Cambodia Labour Law. Most of them won by Japaneses, much better than Chinese own factories. However, the thing is that it is quite far from the city, that's why i always hesitated to apply for any posts.
My friends work there for a Japanese factory, but the company has car to pick up them. I think the distance is not the problem because if you work there, most of companies there provide lunch for their staff.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Kampong Spooner
Expatriate

Post by Kampong Spooner »

First, it's in the Special Economic Zone, meaning there will be extra special bonuses to CocaCola (who operates the SEZ?).

Second- There'll be the special investor program, meaning 0 tax will be paid for at least 4 years.

So, whilst more people can get $1-200 a month, I can't see much going to the actual economy, to pay for things other than the trickle down effect.....
Cookin' MCs like a pound o'bacon
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Construction jobs to build the plant. Truck driver/delivery jobs. Mechanical engineering jobs to maintain the equipment. Taxes eventually. Local management positions over time. It's a very good thing for many locals. No downsides at all here.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Excellent news, investment of that magnitude is what is required to start spreading the economy away gradually from the heavy dependence on the garment industry. The wider knock on effects are significant.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic