A new Coca-Cola plant announced

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: A new Coca-Cola plant announced

Post by Duncan »

Joker Poker wrote:In 10 years time Cambodia will catch up with Malaysia for fatties. This is not good news, no matter how they SUGAR coat it.

Are you sure it's the sugar and not the excess palm oil that is used in Malaysia?

[ sent by using my LG smart tv ]
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Duncan wrote:
Joker Poker wrote:In 10 years time Cambodia will catch up with Malaysia for fatties. This is not good news, no matter how they SUGAR coat it.

Are you sure it's the sugar and not the excess palm oil that is used in Malaysia?

Quiet likely both.

I'm all for development in Cambodia, but baulk when the worst of Western junk food and drinks set up. I wonder how the boon of extra employment will measure up to the increase in medical problems later on.

Coke is fine, but at 12 spoons of sugar per can or whatever it is, it really needs moderation. They will be promoting sales in schools etc - people, especially kids, need to drink water not coke but they get hooked by the marketing, just as Westerners do.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Joker Poker wrote:
Duncan wrote:

Quiet likely both.

I'm all for development in Cambodia, but baulk when the worst of Western junk food and drinks set up. I wonder how the boon of extra employment will measure up to the increase in medical problems later on.

Coke is fine, but at 12 spoons of sugar per can or whatever it is, it really needs moderation. They will be promoting sales in schools etc - people, especially kids, need to drink water not coke but they get hooked by the marketing, just as Westerners do.
The country would have Coca-cola and the product marketing (as it does now and has had for ages) regardless of where the production plant is located. It's merely a question of "should the new factory in be in Thailand, Vietnam or Cambodia?" The fact that a globally successful corporation sees economic feasibility in Cambodia as opposed to the neighboring countries is what is news here.

Great news for local sugar cane farmers as they have more demand for their crop.... and good news for consumers, as Coke doesn't want insecticides in it's products and the bad press that comes with such reports. The company will bring with it quality control and strict sugar cane production guidelines. The farmers will have to be more responsible.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the market knows only 2 emotions, greed and fear.

understand this and you understand all.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

More shit from the neo-lib agenda. Everything I ran away from in the West has been slowly creeping behind me. Century-21, Dog Spas, Gluten Free shopping. FML :dragonchase:
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

The Add Jay wrote:More shit from the neo-lib agenda. Everything I ran away from in the West has been slowly creeping behind me. Century-21, Dog Spas, Gluten Free shopping. FML :dragonchase:
Why would you run away from anything that poses you no harm whatsoever? You ran away from gluten-free shopping? You can chose not to use a dog-spa or a Century-21 real estate broker, you know? Why would you give a damn what services other people like or use? You go through life defining yourself by the things you dislike that others do like? What a colossal waste of energy.

And to repeat, Coca-cola was in Cambodia LONG before you had even heard of the place. This news story is about the company expanding their investment by building a second local production facility. If anything, you are slowly creeping behind them.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

It's a fine product.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Cam Nivag wrote:It's a fine product.
You think so? Not me. I hate it.

(Yeah, I get the Seinfeld reference.)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Soi Dog wrote:

But, but, but, what do you mix with your rum ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Duncan wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:

But, but, but, what do you mix with your rum ?
More rum.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic