Cancel Culture

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by nerdlinger »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:56 am If somebody told me they were offended by the terms Breast feeding or pregnant women and wanted me to use the terms "chest feeding' or "birthing parent" I would not even debate with them.
So if your patient were a transitioned male who let you know that they didn’t consider themselves female, you’d still insist on referring to them as “mother” or “woman” to their face out of some weird sort of principle, because you believe it’s worth upsetting them and driving them away from seeking medical care in order to maintain the correct order of things?

Cause that’s all this story is about, once again, literally nobody has claimed that the word “breastfeeding” is offensive or to be removed from general use, outside of your imagination. Either you’ve not paid attention and are getting worked up over something that isn’t happening, or you understood it perfectly and just genuinely do have the emotional maturity of a spiteful 1970s schoolboy. I hope it’s the former.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I could see where you were coming from when you used the term "daily mail reader" that is code for "White, middle aged, racist, brexit voting ,knuckle draggers," `i sometimes get called a guardian reader, code for "White, middle class, islington snowflake marxist". You were doing the classic of shooting the messenger. It was in all the papers and on the BBC website but of course you used the daily mail slur.

I am fully aware that it is not a rule but a suggestion but it's the thin end of the wedge. We are not talking about the prefix he/her/they but about the terms "pregnant women" and "breast feeding" a very different thing. If I was talking to somebody and the term pregnant women* came into the conversation and they said they were offended by that term I would not debate with them, simple. JK Rowling tried to debate with these people and look where that got her. Suzzane Moore, guardian journalist tried as well and look where that got her. These poor "marginalised" people not need you to speak up for them they are doing a splendid job of abusing and threatening people who will not speak in the correct terms.

ps i think its 4 legs good 2 legs bad
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Much as I generally dislike the man, you've only got to take a look at how Piers Morgan was attacked, was asked to apologise about his comments where he disbelieved much of anything that Ms. Markle and Prince Harry said in their Oprah interview. Whilst he evidently has an axe to grind with Me-Again (I stole that one, it was pertinent), he was accused of being a racist because of what he said. He refused to apologise. People were outraged about his comments. He simply said something along the lines of finding it difficult to believe much of anything she says.

There is a modern slant towards outrage, at about almost anything that anyone can be "outraged" about. Outrage should be reserved for the kinds of things that deserve it. Like doctoring old photos of S21/KR victims.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Piers Morgan consciously and purposefully built a whole career on saying deliberately controversial or antagonistic shit, so I wouldn’t say he’s a great example of a cancel culture “victim”. The responses he’s been getting are exactly what his statements were calibrated to provoke, for cynical book-selling reasons.

I don't know if he's a racist or not, but he sure as hell is happy to pander to racists in exchange for money.
Last edited by nerdlinger on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:15 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:56 am If somebody told me they were offended by the terms Breast feeding or pregnant women and wanted me to use the terms "chest feeding' or "birthing parent" I would not even debate with them.
So if your patient were a transitioned male who let you know that they didn’t consider themselves female, you’d still insist on referring to them as “mother” or “woman” to their face out of some weird sort of principle, because you believe it’s worth upsetting them and driving them away from seeking medical care in order to maintain the correct order of things?

Cause that’s all this story is about, once again, literally nobody has claimed that the word “breastfeeding” is offensive or to be removed from general use, outside of your imagination. Either you’ve not paid attention and are getting worked up over something that isn’t happening, or you understood it perfectly and just genuinely do have the emotional maturity of a spiteful 1970s schoolboy. I hope it’s the former.
I did not say I would not debate with a person that wanted to be called he/she, you made that bit up. I did say that i would not debate with somebody who is offended by the term pregnant women or breast feeding. Give me an example where those terms would be offensive if a doctor or health worker used them when talking to a person who has transitioned. As far as i know transitioned people cannot give birth or breast feed so why are they even discussing it and suggesting those terms are not used ?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:51 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:15 pm

I did not say I would not debate with a person that wanted to be called he/she, you made that bit up. I did say that i would not debate with somebody who is offended by the term pregnant women or breast feeding. Give me an example where those terms would be offensive if a doctor or health worker used them when talking to a person who has transitioned. As far as i know transitioned people cannot give birth or breast feed so why are they even discussing it and suggesting those terms are not used ?
The scenario I described is entirely based on what the quoted article was about. I feel like I'm repeating myself way too many times here: NOBODY, anywhere, ever, not in the NHS, not in this thread, has ever claimed that the term 'pregnant women' is offensive in of itself. Yet you're still concocting these scenarios in your head where you might some day be expected to hold your tongue for fear of being cancelled for saying "women".

As to your last point, why don’t you message Brighton NHS trust and let them know that the trans men on their books who’ve had children don’t actually exist, I’m sure they’ll be grateful for your input.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:56 am Four legs good 2 legs bad or is it the other way round i forget.
Has Orwell been canceled yet? Dead White man and all.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

scrabble are now on it.

Scrabble associations across the world, including the UK, are now compiling a list of 400 words to be barred in competitions.

It is thought the list will include “goolies', “arse”, “fatso”, “boffing” and “wrinklies”.

But the move has angered players, including 2014 world champion and twice-British champ Craig Beevers, 39, who said: “The woke brigade is ruining our game.”
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:35 pm Piers Morgan consciously and purposefully built a whole career on saying deliberately controversial or antagonistic shit, so I wouldn’t say he’s a great example of a cancel culture “victim”. The responses he’s been getting are exactly what his statements were calibrated to provoke, for cynical book-selling reasons.

I don't know if he's a racist or not, but he sure as hell is happy to pander to racists in exchange for money.
I consciously didn't describe him as a victim. And I made clear that I didn't particularly have a great deal of time for the man. My point was about the outraged reaction to something he said that, (for once), wasn't particularly antagonistic nor controversial, IMHO.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Sure, but I mean, the dude didn’t even get cancelled. He “cancelled” himself by storming off the set mid-show in a rage about being disagreed with, and then turning in his resignation. This is Piers right here:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic