Knives out in Kampot?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Re: Knives out in Kampot?

Post by La Quenta »

atst wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:05 pm The thing with a tab is you have know idea how much you owe and no way of checking it's right, and if you can't pay for a few 50c beers each time you shouldn't be drinking.
Presumably that's why tabs are a thing.

Sure there is a small flight risk, but more often than not it's likely a great opportunity to pad out a bill with some 'extras' without the customer really knowing.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

[/quote]
Seems crazy to me that you could pay your way out of jail for something like this. Yes yes I'm naive and new and all that but still .. not questioning the previous poster just amazed at how these things work.
[/quote]

It is crazy. Even more so are (fatal) traffic accidents. Whenever you get hit by a car, make sure to crawl off the road quickly if you can. It is way more expensive to pay compensation to a disabled driver than a fatality where you can get off paying only for the cremation. Unscrupulous drivers might reverse and run you over once more to make sure you are dead and not just hurt badly. Cheaper.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

La Quenta wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:57 pm
atst wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:05 pm The thing with a tab is you have know idea how much you owe and no way of checking it's right, and if you can't pay for a few 50c beers each time you shouldn't be drinking.
Presumably that's why tabs are a thing.

Sure there is a small flight risk, but more often than not it's likely a great opportunity to pad out a bill with some 'extras' without the customer really knowing.
I've been on both sides of this

As an owner I never padded out bills or tabs and if I caught staff doing so they would cease to be staff

As a customer I almost never had a suspiciously padded bill, and I have a good memory for minor things like that, just maybe twice in over a decade and both involved nasty old whore cashiers

*caveat, I rarely drink in hostess bars and when I do occasionally drink in them I pay cash, tabs in regular bars only, never trust a whore lol
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

I keep 10-20 USD tab at my favorite spot, they just prefer it that way to save change for the irregular customers.

But once you start getting into the 100's there is time for some reflection. Seems like many business owners will choose the non confrontational path and hope that if they keep being cool and giving credit the person will eventually pay vs putting their foot down and risking that this person goes up in smoke with the money.

Talking regular bars here. If you wander into a hostess bar and run up this huge tab without minding then I suppose you have enough money to pay or well, you should.

But in the case of this thread we're talking like 1000 beers given on tab, hopefully the owner learned a lesson and does not proceed to add another $2k to the bill :facepalm:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

When I had a bar, I stopped bar tabs, to the dismay of those it affected, with comments like "that doesn't mean me, right". Tabs are an added and unnecessary burden. Pensioners were forever behind. It is amazing how much month is left at the end of the money.
So, because a "no" hurt the petals' feelings, I said you give me $100 in advance and Ill give you $110 in drinks. $50: $5, $20: $1. To which a few said WTTE "what if I don't come back?" By the time they said that they must have known I was setting them up for "at least we are of the same mind-set."
It's tricky though because there were exceptions and with all the competition giving tick, you don't wanna lose customers, and the idea was they do have to come back. Or do they? The excuses were insulting.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Doc67 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:04 am
JUDGEDREDD wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:01 am
simon43 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:57 pm Having run a couple of bars (albeit yonks ago in Bangkok), I really can't understand bar tabs. My stock answer to every customer who asked to run up a tab was a politer 'NO!!'. People respect you more for not being a wimp. In my experience, it's mostly the customers that you definitely don't want that ask to run up a tab.
Always found it a bit odd when in Asia that tabs/paying at the end was the norm, I absolutely hate being in anyone elses pockets but it was quite nice having a location that would happily just knock your beers etc onto a tab, I'd just ask every week or so what it was at and hand over the cash but they were fully aware they could ask me whenever to clear it.
I'm getting a bit confused here. A tab is a bill that gets paid weekly or whatever, as opposed to 'the bill/check', which is paid on the day when you leave the bar? That's my understanding.

Anyone who can't pay on the day, or doesn't want to pay, is the last person you should be giving credit to. The problem is once you give it to one, others will assume they too are entitled to it. Slippery slope.

If you went into a bar and they asked you for $50 loan to help pay the electric bill, you would walk straight out.
Aye fully agree, if you don't have the money in your pocket you shouldn't be out being in someone else's, obviously if you have a relationship with a location and you're good for it then that's different but trust is built from good behaviour, knocking somewhere for money is dirty.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote:I said you give me $100 in advance and Ill give you $110 in drinks. $50: $5, $20: $1.
I would have thought that bars that publicly post that would get more regulars. It’s more value for the money.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:47 pm When I had a bar, I stopped bar tabs, to the dismay of those it affected, with comments like "that doesn't mean me, right". Tabs are an added and unnecessary burden. Pensioners were forever behind. It is amazing how much month is left at the end of the money.
So, because a "no" hurt the petals' feelings, I said you give me $100 in advance and Ill give you $110 in drinks. $50: $5, $20: $1. To which a few said WTTE "what if I don't come back?" By the time they said that they must have known I was setting them up for "at least we are of the same mind-set."
It's tricky though because there were exceptions and with all the competition giving tick, you don't wanna lose customers, and the idea was they do have to come back. Or do they? The excuses were insulting.
There are a few bars in PP with similar schemes, although more generous. I think Ostro on 136/5 were doing $100 advance for a $150 credit. But they are more expensive than most to start with so the discount is built in.

Do bar owners who try to sell their bar expect buyers to acquire all the bar tabs at full value, or is there an accepted norm of, say 50% of book value?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

"Do bar owners who try to sell their bar expect buyers to acquire all the bar tabs at full value, or is there an accepted norm of, say 50% of book value?"

I would say in the current climate any incentive to buy your business would be utilized, but in my case which was a few years ago now in the wild West, I'd made my money back tenfold drink for free had some fun and not so much. The letter being the reason I was pretty much, take it, it's yours enjoy.
Back then it was all about selling the lease rather than the business particularly with accommodation involved.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Letter = latter
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic