Knives out in Kampot?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Re: Knives out in Kampot?

Post by Biffsm »

What do you expect in Kampot?
It was a laid back place when I migrated there from Sihanouk...over 3 years ago
But, the chinese takeover pushed riff raff and too many barang.
The china plague has created a whole new town.
Out of work, dope, stress..
I left because I saw scumbags rolling through..I left because an Aussie lady I knew who lived there for many years was knocked off her moto and robbed by Khmer punks.
Definitely not for me vibe..
This country is changing and these new lockdowns and stress are not going attract tourists.
I have a great place and want to stay in Cambodia...
But, china has fucked it up.
All this vaccine bullshit and 4th quarter tourist opening will never happen this year..or next..
Damn shame..
I took over a bar years ago and the owner had a file card system with $9,000 on bar tabs..
I had to fight tooth and nail to convince her to collect.
Glass pitchers and mugs make wicked gashes and impact wounds..Saw some intense shit.
I lost all interest in the coast.
One reason I think about getting the fuck out of here.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Given your opinion(s) I can't understand why you are still there. Why?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

johnny lightning wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:06 am Given your opinion(s) I can't understand why you are still there. Why?
I also went to kampot ,( shithole ) , then moved to siem reap ( now ) shithole . But got Burger King :bow: :thumb:
I blame chinese for losing my condo in shitsville , I blame the chinese for causing the kampot mess ( above )
Since i don’t believe in any god i blame china for ousting trump ,

So….
Who ya gonna call ?
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Biffsm wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 pm But, the chinese takeover pushed riff raff and too many barang.
Fucking hell you do go on. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Biffsm wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 pm What do you expect in Kampot?
It was a laid back place when I migrated there from Sihanouk...over 3 years ago
But, the chinese takeover pushed riff raff and too many barang.
Out of work, dope, stress..
I left because I saw scumbags rolling through..I left because an Aussie lady I knew who lived there for many years was knocked off her moto and robbed by Khmer punks.
Definitely not for me vibe..
This country is changing and these new lockdowns and stress are not going attract tourists.
I have a great place and want to stay in Cambodia...
All this vaccine bullshit and 4th quarter tourist opening will never happen this year..or next..
Damn shame..
I took over a bar years ago and the owner had a file card system with $9,000 on bar tabs..
I had to fight tooth and nail to convince her to collect.
Glass pitchers and mugs make wicked gashes and impact wounds..Saw some intense shit.
I lost all interest in the coast.
One reason I think about getting the fuck out of here.
Im just trying to join the dots here...

So you lived in Sianouk...where the riff raff was.
Moved to Kampot.....the riff raff followed you.
But you still live in Kampot now with the riff raff?

Are the riff raff exclusively Khmer?
If so, is the truth that they have always been around but your tolerance for them has finally wore thin?
Or so you believe violence and crime have increased a lot in Cambodia (and by extension Kampot) over the past few years?

These are genuine questions. I havent been to Cambodia since 2016 and it was a great place (albeit with its challenges). I've been considering on and off for over 2 years to move from where I am (VN) to Cambodia, although some of the stories im hearing has me extremely hesitant, if not turned off.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

La Quenta wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:56 pm
Biffsm wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 pm But, the chinese takeover pushed riff raff and too many barang.

Are the riff raff exclusively Khmer?
If so, is the truth that they have always been around but your tolerance for them has finally wore...
Did you even read the text you quoted?
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

Having run a couple of bars (albeit yonks ago in Bangkok), I really can't understand bar tabs. My stock answer to every customer who asked to run up a tab was a politer 'NO!!'. People respect you more for not being a wimp. In my experience, it's mostly the customers that you definitely don't want that ask to run up a tab.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

simon43 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:57 pm Having run a couple of bars (albeit yonks ago in Bangkok), I really can't understand bar tabs. My stock answer to every customer who asked to run up a tab was a politer 'NO!!'. People respect you more for not being a wimp. In my experience, it's mostly the customers that you definitely don't want that ask to run up a tab.
Always found it a bit odd when in Asia that tabs/paying at the end was the norm, I absolutely hate being in anyone elses pockets but it was quite nice having a location that would happily just knock your beers etc onto a tab, I'd just ask every week or so what it was at and hand over the cash but they were fully aware they could ask me whenever to clear it.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:01 am
simon43 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:57 pm Having run a couple of bars (albeit yonks ago in Bangkok), I really can't understand bar tabs. My stock answer to every customer who asked to run up a tab was a politer 'NO!!'. People respect you more for not being a wimp. In my experience, it's mostly the customers that you definitely don't want that ask to run up a tab.
Always found it a bit odd when in Asia that tabs/paying at the end was the norm, I absolutely hate being in anyone elses pockets but it was quite nice having a location that would happily just knock your beers etc onto a tab, I'd just ask every week or so what it was at and hand over the cash but they were fully aware they could ask me whenever to clear it.
I'm getting a bit confused here. A tab is a bill that gets paid weekly or whatever, as opposed to 'the bill/check', which is paid on the day when you leave the bar? That's my understanding.

Anyone who can't pay on the day, or doesn't want to pay, is the last person you should be giving credit to. The problem is once you give it to one, others will assume they too are entitled to it. Slippery slope.

If you went into a bar and they asked you for $50 loan to help pay the electric bill, you would walk straight out.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

The thing with a tab is you have know idea how much you owe and no way of checking it's right, and if you can't pay for a few 50c beers each time you shouldn't be drinking.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic