Harry's Riverside - Take Away Service

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Harry's Riverside - Take Away Service

Post by Doc67 »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:19 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:02 am Damn it! I remember the poached thing. Thank you. My "best-mum-in-the-world" mother also told me a tsp of vinegar keeps the albumen together. Is there anything vinegar can't do? Now, where is this restaurant you speak of?
Also bring the water to a boil then taking it off when the bubbles stop, spin the water. :love10: :love10:
I'm thinking about poached eggs on toast for brekkie now...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:28 am The bright yellow yolks we find in eggs in the west are actually not a natural phenomenon.
They are achieved by feeding a food additive to the laying hens.
nope

monstra mihi bona!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:46 am The eggs here have incredibly thin shells
I've noticed this too. I'll get a fresh batch and go to crack one against the edge of the pan and it just shatters.

Could this be from pesticide use?

I know that in the US pesticide use in the past, like DDT, would cause egg shells to thin. It even got so bad and leeched into natural resources, that the giant condor almost went extinct due to their egg shells being so thin, they wouldn't survive long enough intact, to hatch.

Though I must say the duck eggs are built like brick shit-houses.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:07 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:46 am The eggs here have incredibly thin shells
I've noticed this too. I'll get a fresh batch and go to crack one against the edge of the pan and it just shatters.

Could this be from pesticide use?

I know that in the US pesticide use in the past, like DDT, would cause egg shells to thin. It even got so bad and leeched into natural resources, that the giant condor almost went extinct due to their egg shells being so thin, they wouldn't survive long enough intact, to hatch.

Though I must say the duck eggs are built like brick shit-houses.
I always thought it was because even chicken feed is Cambodia is of a poor quality and the birds are malnourished.

It is based on a conversation with a British guy in Pattaya 4 years ago. He lived in the boonies and raised chickens, a hobby that became a cottage industry. He said that the Thais feed their chickens crap and so the eggs were crap. He claimed to have a thriving customer base by feeding them proper food and getting quality eggs as a result.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:52 am
IraHayes wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:28 am The bright yellow yolks we find in eggs in the west are actually not a natural phenomenon.
nope
It's a well documented fact that the yolk of an egg is directly related to the diet of the hen. If you want bright yellow yolks you add stuff to their diet hence "food additive". This can be as simple as marigold leaves or, as is more common in larger laying units, a vitamin mix that is added to the milled feed. This vitamin mix has the coloring additives in it as well as the vitamins and stuff.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

well of course, what they eat
but you said it's 'not natural'

they may well add something to chicken feed
to make up for what's missing compared to a natural diet
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:52 am
nope
And to back up my claims here is a very good poultry site
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/publicat ... pale-yolks

and the link goes to the page for yolk color.
Here is the relevant bit ..
naturally-occurring carotenoids cannot be relied upon to provide the desired yolk colour or to provide a consistent colour. Therefore, nature-identical yellow and red carotenoids, such as apoester and canthaxanthin, are commonly added to feed in order to achieve the desired egg yolk colour.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 am well of course, what they eat
but you said it's 'not natural'
Oh please, there's a whole industry built around "natural" products that are simple chemicals that have been derived from natural products.

I used the term "natural" to indicate the hens normal diet where ever they are being kept. As in the west the hens diet is strictly controlled to maximize the efficiency of the laying hen. Also, the feed avaiable may not produce naturally yellow yolks so an additive is used.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News on Outbreaks and Lockdowns - NB News Items Only (no general discussion)

Post by Doc67 »

Harry's is open again, for food and non-alcoholic drinks.

EAT-IN or take away.

Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Re: Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News on Outbreaks and Lockdowns - NB News Items Only (no general discussion)

Post by Apollo91881 »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:28 pm Harry's is open again, for food and non-alcoholic drinks.

EAT-IN or take away.

Fish and chips sounds like a good idea right about now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic