Vaccines and Your Experience

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Vaccines and Your Experience

Post by Doc67 »

Now there are quite a lot of expats that have had both shots, particularly of the Sinovac, is anyone considering paying a visit to the National Institute of Public Health to check out if it actually works, and how well?

According to Jamie Lambo, they do an antibody test for $20
ask-the-expats-questions-answers/swab-t ... hilit=swab

A result showing a good level of antibodies might be quite reassuring. A result showing fuck all might be quite sobering.

After 2 shots and a further 2 weeks, it must be very tempting to consider the Covid-19 pandemic a thing of the past for you personally - you've dodged the bullet - you've survived, nothing more to worry about.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain.

That $20 might be a good investment.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wasn't sure where to place this

interesting facts
https://www.bangkokpost.com/specials/covid19/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:04 am Now there are quite a lot of expats that have had both shots, particularly of the Sinovac, is anyone considering paying a visit to the National Institute of Public Health to check out if it actually works, and how well?

A result showing a good level of antibodies might be quite reassuring. A result showing fuck all might be quite sobering.

After 2 shots and a further 2 weeks, it must be very tempting to consider the Covid-19 pandemic a thing of the past for you personally - you've dodged the bullet - you've survived, nothing more to worry about.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain.

All very well to quote intelligent wordsmiths, but once more for the lovably dense please. You're saying, post-jab, a check could or does/has show/shown poor antibody levels? I (thought it was common knowledge) have always figured post-stabbing, you are not out of the woods, just the hospital (and morgue), which'll do me. They don't know how long it lasts for yet, right? Well, they should because there was plenty of guinea pigs in phase 111, that finished in February, from June commencement, and I cant see where it is stated you are just as safe on day 365 as day 14. The results show a 50/50 chance of re-infection and 0 of hospitalisation.
Incidentally, the jab is free, but to have it organised, the tip is up to you (unless it is not enough) - you all know those nuts on chest.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I was told that offering a tip was inappropriate.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

nemo wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:11 pm I was told that offering a tip was inappropriate.
I'll quote you next time, and add "...so rather than offend you after your charitable act, I will thank you sincerely, recommend you and bid you farewell until next time, brother. Not only would I never intentionally offend you, I imagine you see this as a compliment. You're welcome." By the way, you know the tipee was referring to the one that precipitates people's prior to proper procedural pricking, not the Plunger per se?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Did you offer a tip when you were vaxxed here?
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:04 am Now there are quite a lot of expats that have had both shots, particularly of the Sinovac, is anyone considering paying a visit to the National Institute of Public Health to check out if it actually works, and how well?

Mark Twain.

Please stop.

1). If you previously had asymptomatic Covid without knowing you were infected then you would have Covid antibodies (many people do). Not much reassurance there about the efficacy of the vaccine.

2). Some of the different Covid vaccines cause antibody reactions to different unique proteins on the Covid virus. The current diagnostic antibody test only selects for one of those. So your test result could be "quite sobering" and totally inaccurate.

3). The current antibody test can only provide the result for that one second that the test sample was taken, not any information about the length of vaccine immunity protection (especially Chinese vaccines).

Take your medical advice from quacks on CEO at your own risk. It is what you don't know the could get you into trouble and lose $20 USD.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I got vaccinated twice already. The first one I didn't feel anything but had weird dreams. The second one was a bit more sore but no big deal. All good.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

paul2d wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:32 am Had the Moderna vaccine the other day. No side effects the day of the jab. Slight pain in upper arm the following day. Back to normal the next day. Just like getting a flu shot.
Update: Had second shot of the Moderna vaccine the other day. Again, slight pain in upper arm that quickly subsided. Was somewhat tired and headachy day of the shot. Back to normal after an afternoon nap.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand:

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic