Vaccines and Your Experience

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Frankl
Expatriate

Re: Vaccines and Your Experience

Post by Frankl »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:38 am
Frankl wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:40 pm
KTabi wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:22 pm
Frankl wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:31 pm
KTabi wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:53 am I've had various strange vaccinations but nothing can hold a candle to my Pfizer experience. I still get bizarre chest sensations since receiving it. I think it was the right thing to get it and would do it again but the reaction and fatigue was intense. These strong reactions seem to be more limited to younger age as an immune response, according to the medical personnel I spoke with.

I feel fairly confident that I'm as protected as one can be now though and rejecting a pfizer vaccination traveler seems least likely of all, excluding China and satellite pressure campaigns.
Thanks for posting your experience, I find it very informative. I am a "Newbie" here and this is my first post so please take that into consideration regarding my queries. I have a girlfriend living in the provinces, I am not in Cambodia at the moment and am unlikely to be able to travel for quite some time.I believe she is reasonably safe there at the moment from COVID-19, but with the rapidly changing infection rates I am now beginning to worry.
Can I ask you, did you get the Pfizer vaccine in Cambodia? If so where can I get gf vaccinated with Pfizer-BioNtech in Cambodia. Can you tell me how much it costs? Can I be sure it is the genuine product, she has heard of "fakes" but I'm not sure if that's just gossip or not. I am aware the Chinese Sinovac will be rolled out in the near future but I would prefer her to have the Pfizer vaccine. Any helpful advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Oh, so sorry. I got my vaccination elsewhere. It is not available in most countries to most people and I am not aware of where it can be gotten besides where I got it. I would be sure to only get a vaccine from a reputable hospital in a place like Cambodia. I was sure to get ahead in getting one because I assume it is going to be accepted in most places and required, best luck to you and please avoid acquiring one in outside means because it is likely to be fake.
Thank you for your detailed reply and advice, I can wait longer and hopefully Cambodia might give people a choice of vaccines in the near future. I hope!
As far as I am aware, there are no Pfizer is Cambodia, it's extreme cold storage requirements makes it impractical for Cambodia's infrastructure. All vaccines are free of charge at the moment.

The AZ vaccine has been available here but it seems they are reserving it for the over 60's. I assume your girlfriend is not in that group! All those under 60 are being offered the Chinese Sinovac (or Sinopharm maybe).

If your girlfriend is under 40 and in good health, she has virtually nothing to be scared of, apart from the economic damage being wreaked upon the country.

The government has done a bang-up job with terrifying the population with all their hyperbole of how deadly and vicious this virus is, when in truth it will only kill the old and/or already chronically sick. It's more of a finisher than a starter.

But it is well and truly out there now and will do it's thing just as it has done everywhere else it has broken out in large numbers. I think it is past the point of containment now.
Yes she is under 40 and healthy. Over the last year I was the one telling her not to worry, eg she is non-smoker, not fat, ie not in a high risk group. But over the last month or so as I have seen the infection rates climb with the introduction of the Variant B.1.1.7 I am now the one pushing for her to get a vaccine. But it seems I have no choice regarding Vaccines in Cambodia.
Frankl
Expatriate

Post by Frankl »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 am As mentioned, no way to ever get Pfizer or Moderna here I reckon. Storage issues. There was a Khmer Times article recently that said the government was in talks to Johnson & Johnson though, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If in no hurry and she's healthy, just tell her to wait it out. If she's in a group that's at risk, just get one of the Chinese vaccines. As per the Brazilian and Turkish studies, they're 100% effective at preventing serious illness or death, albeit perhaps less effective than Pfizer and others at preventing milder symptoms. But obviously death/serious complications are the main issue...
Yes, it seems thats all I can do for the moment...wait and see. She is healthy and not in a high risk group. I can take comfort in the fact she is in the provinces I guess. Although I do have a bad feeling given the recent warning from WHO about the hospitals being overwhelmed. But its all out of my control! Thanks for your help.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

Had the Moderna vaccine the other day. No side effects the day of the jab. Slight pain in upper arm the following day. Back to normal the next day. Just like getting a flu shot.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Frankl wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:06 pm Yes, it seems thats all I can do for the moment...wait and see. She is healthy and not in a high risk group. I can take comfort in the fact she is in the provinces I guess. Although I do have a bad feeling given the recent warning from WHO about the hospitals being overwhelmed. But its all out of my control! Thanks for your help.
Tell her about Vitamin D. She probably won't like being in the sun (makes her black) but it will help a lot. Or she may be able to buy supplements (but tney are hard to get even in PP atm).
There are other preventative steps she can take, see this link, but vitamin D is the best, and totally safe.
https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-cont ... NGLISH.pdf
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Took the Pfizer vaccine when it first rolled out. Then my parents, and now missus (first dose). Sick for a few days, sore arm for a week. Worse than the flu vaccine, not as bad as the pneumonia vaccine.

Co-worker got night sweats and chills the night after the first dose, and literary was doing work lying down on the couch the next day.

However, the alternative, getting the virus ... and possibly severe pneumonia requiring a double lung transplant is much worse.

Please stay safe out there!
Frankl
Expatriate

Post by Frankl »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:54 am
Frankl wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:06 pm Yes, it seems thats all I can do for the moment...wait and see. She is healthy and not in a high risk group. I can take comfort in the fact she is in the provinces I guess. Although I do have a bad feeling given the recent warning from WHO about the hospitals being overwhelmed. But its all out of my control! Thanks for your help.
Tell her about Vitamin D. She probably won't like being in the sun (makes her black) but it will help a lot. Or she may be able to buy supplements (but tney are hard to get even in PP atm).
There are other preventative steps she can take, see this link, but vitamin D is the best, and totally safe.
https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-cont ... NGLISH.pdf
Yes you're spot on with the ( make me black ) thing with the sun, and the thing is the sun is the best source of Vitamin D rather then supplements or food even. But I will probably end up getting her to take vitamins, she has no issue taking those. Thanks for the tip and the link.
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Had my first sinovac shot a few weeks ago and will be getting my second in a few days. Felt a bit tired starting later that day and continuing for a couple of days afterwards , which about 2/3 of the other staff at my workplace seemed to experience too. Otherwise there were no other side effects for myself or my colleagues.

Historically I've not tended to react to vaccinations at all, so was slightly surprised when I did feel tired.

Needless to say, I'm content that I'll be protected from the worst.
Teddy1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Teddy1 »

paul2d wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:32 am Had the Moderna vaccine the other day. No side effects the day of the jab. Slight pain in upper arm the following day. Back to normal the next day. Just like getting a flu shot.
And where did you get the Moderna vaccine?
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence:
"Well that didnt go as planned".
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Had my 2nd sinovac jab 2 weeks ago, i didnt notice any ill effects of both jabs.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

AZ last week. No side effects of any kind.

Was almost anticlimactic after four months of every single bad reaction being hyped all over the internet, I was prepared for at least an afternoon popping painkillers with a headache and sore arm. It’s made me paranoid that the nurse stole my real vaccine to give to her cat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic