These People Were Arrested by the Khmer Rouge and Never Seen Again

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: These People Were Arrested by the Khmer Rouge and Never Seen Again

Post by Kammekor »

Apollo91881 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:10 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:56 am
Apollo91881 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:48 am Cancel culture or accountability ... it's so hard to be an asshole these days without being held responsible for one's actions
Well, the guys was held accountable, wasn't he, he received a lot of flak. And rightly so.

So cancelling this story is the solution? Problem solved now?
Only if people don't learn from it. Are you more or less inclined to post something offensive without thinking about the consequences? How about Vice news?
I believe in freedom, and freedom includes the right of posting offensive or stupid things. And if you do so you might receive flak, criticism, and rightly so. But what you consider offensive, might not be experienced as offensive by others. I, for instance, find this posting from an offended person offensive:

I haven't asked twitter to remove it.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I think this was totally blown out of proportion. He was asked by the family members to edit these photos...

I love how people feel the need to mention his gender and race. *Rolls eyes*
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

well documented and researched

An artist has caused uproar and anguish after photoshopping smiles onto the faces of inmates photographed at notorious Khmer Rouge prison camp Tuol Sleng. Here, the brother of Khva Leang, incorrectly labelled as Bora in the piece, tells the true story of his long-lost kin

This is the ORIGINAL photo, not colorized, edited::
Though Leang’s image was among the few that had remained unchanged beyond being colourised, Senyint was no less disturbed upon seeing his brother’s portrait and the brief biography that accompanied it. That’s because every detail about him, even down to his name, was incorrect.

“I was disappointed that they gave the wrong information, so I wrote to Lydia [my daughter] that I wish they would know the real information about this brother,” he said. “My brother number three.”
Loughrey declined comment to Globe about the criticism of his work, but has elsewhere dismissed allegations of falsifying history as “nonsense”. He claims alterations were made at the request of families, being quoted in the original Vice article as saying he had worked on Leang’s portrait in particular at the request of the man’s son. Vice referred the Globe to a disclaimer on the article stating its contents were under review, with the article since pulled down.
Lies, lies lies

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/colouris ... ng-photos/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:20 am
Apollo91881 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:48 am Cancel culture or accountability ... it's so hard to be an asshole these days without being held responsible for one's actions
Well, the guys was held accountable, wasn't he, he received a lot of flak. And rightly so.

Only if people don't learn from it. Are you more or less inclined to post something offensive without thinking about the consequences? How about Vice news?
I believe in freedom, and freedom includes the right of posting offensive or stupid things. And if you do so you might receive flak, criticism, and rightly so. But what you consider offensive, might not be experienced as offensive by others. I, for instance, find this posting from an offended person offensive:

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. Rights come with responsibilities.
Same shit different day.
People need to quit crying cancel culture because dumb people do dumb shit and have to come to terms with the consequences.
Can't have it both ways. Such is life.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

What was he thinking when he tastelessly doctored those images of genocide victims? That it would propel him to fame (as opposed to infamy)? He put himself in this invidious position and he now has to wriggle his way out of it as diplomatically and humbly as possible. Deleting his social media accounts and going on ignore mode will not appease Cambodians.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ergosemper wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:55 pm What was he thinking when he tastelessly doctored those images of genocide victims? That it would propel him to fame (as opposed to infamy)? He put himself in this invidious position and he now has to wriggle his way out of it as diplomatically and humbly as possible. Deleting his social media accounts and going on ignore mode will not appease Cambodians.
He lives in the west of Ireland; I doubt this affair will cause him more than these few days of infamy, and the images are now gone from vice

Bad taste, yeah

A crime? Maybe not.

Probably he should make an unreserved apology to the families whose deceased members images he altered without permission and draw a line under it
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

phuketrichard wrote:well documented and researched

An artist has caused uproar and anguish after photoshopping smiles onto the faces of inmates photographed at notorious Khmer Rouge prison camp Tuol Sleng. Here, the brother of Khva Leang, incorrectly labelled as Bora in the piece, tells the true story of his long-lost kin

This is the ORIGINAL photo, not colorized, edited::
Though Leang’s image was among the few that had remained unchanged beyond being colourised, Senyint was no less disturbed upon seeing his brother’s portrait and the brief biography that accompanied it. That’s because every detail about him, even down to his name, was incorrect.

“I was disappointed that they gave the wrong information, so I wrote to Lydia [my daughter] that I wish they would know the real information about this brother,” he said. “My brother number three.”
Loughrey declined comment to Globe about the criticism of his work, but has elsewhere dismissed allegations of falsifying history as “nonsense”. He claims alterations were made at the request of families, being quoted in the original Vice article as saying he had worked on Leang’s portrait in particular at the request of the man’s son. Vice referred the Globe to a disclaimer on the article stating its contents were under review, with the article since pulled down.
Lies, lies lies

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/colouris ... ng-photos/
If true then he should apologize. I was under the impression he was working directly with TS and had been asked by the respective families to do so (as pet the above message). It's not uncommon for locals to get modified photoshopped pictures of their deceased loved ones. Not sure what to believe now.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Apollo91881 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:43 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:20 am

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. Rights come with responsibilities.
Same shit different day.
People need to quit crying cancel culture because dumb people do dumb shit and have to come to terms with the consequences.
Can't have it both ways. Such is life.
Yes, freedom comes with responsibilities and consequences. I wholeheartedly agree.

But cancelling an article because there's a fuss on social media isn't the solution.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

atst wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:21 pm Would it be any less offensive it it was a colored female artist?
Yes. Why is it significant that it was a white male?
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

lagrange wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 pm
atst wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:21 pm Would it be any less offensive it it was a colored female artist?
Yes. Why is it significant that it was a white male?
Not a whole lot, but he made all the prisoners he colorized look very white.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic