These People Were Arrested by the Khmer Rouge and Never Seen Again

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: These People Were Arrested by the Khmer Rouge and Never Seen Again

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:29 pm In my opinion, even putting these sort of photos in colour is questionable. These are photos of victims of the Pol Pot regime. You can't make them "pretty" or more human. As for the smiles, well, I'm lost. Why would you do that ?
A lack of empathy, propriety. Tasteless. A lack of art, even? Then, Peddling a process that could be beneficial in the right context, and making it an industrial process.

These photos are a catalogue of someone’s depravity inflicted on others. Jollying them up serves to trivialise the events that they catalogue, and is a disservice to the victims.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

ergosemper wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:01 pm He should be sanctioned for his twisted and depraved "creativity".
(Sighs)
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

If there is any redeemable idea behind it all, it's that the "artist" wanted the people to be remembered as if they were smiling, a kind of "what could have been" retrospective. However, the "artist" fails to mention anything of substance pertinent to the "art" itself beyond his career. And even he if he had, it would have little worth beyond the realm of self-driven social media perspectives of the world. I don't like throwing around bandwagon terms people use these days (eg. "snowflake", "virtue signaling") but I'm gonna throw one down on this: "toxic positivity". Reminds of some of the silly shit people say like "happiness is a choice" etc. Life is not all about smiles.
Last edited by siliconlife on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The Vice link now goes to 404. I think the message is being felt.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Has anyone seen any sort of explanation by the "artist" on why he thought is was a good idea to photoshop genocide victims ?

For the moment, there doesn't seem to be any sort of excuse for this, except that the man is clueless. He just marched in there with his big old boots without a thought about what he was trying to achieve, and what impact that would have on other people.

There was another scandal not so long ago, of someone using photos from S21 for something inappropriate, but I don't recall exactly what it was ?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:58 pm The Vice link now goes to 404. I think the message is being felt.
That's fine. Vice blows.
Cricket99
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Cricket99 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:05 pm There was another scandal not so long ago, of someone using photos from S21 for something inappropriate, but I don't recall exactly what it was ?
Think it was stock images.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cricket99 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:29 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:05 pm There was another scandal not so long ago, of someone using photos from S21 for something inappropriate, but I don't recall exactly what it was ?
Think it was stock images.
You're right.
newsworthy/prisoner-photos-from-khmer-r ... 19650.html
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:21 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:58 pm The Vice link now goes to 404. I think the message is being felt.
That's fine. Vice blows.
Scarpering out with your tail between your legs acting like something didn't happen isn't fine. Never was.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic