Papa John's Pizza Now in Phnom Penh

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Papa John's Pizza Now in Phnom Penh

Post by newkidontheblock »

ergosemper wrote:Wish list for a franchise here: Red Lobster
You mean this?

I haven’t had it since I was growing up in New England. I wasn’t impressed at the time. Trying it again.

The live lobsters at the front was a sign of delicious, yummy food.

Then the cheddar bay biscuits. Basically greasy cheese bread. Not light and fluffy.

Ordered the lobster fest platter. Supposedly the dish with the least amount of grease and melted butter already piled on it.

Still came with fried shrimp, shrimp in oil. But had 1 lobster tail, and King crab claws. The lobster tail was fresh. Missus liked it a lot. The crab claw had a rubbery shell.

And of course melted butter on the side.

I’m still not impressed.

Darden Restaurants (the company that owns the chain) recently announced spinning off the chain to private investors. Must not be making money.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Wow, that's some fancy shit you lovers are dining on. You could do a lot worse, all the best.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

I was last in the US (Chicago, NYC, Dallas) in 2002. Towards the end of my trip I visited a friend in Portland (Maine). Fine dining was extraordinarily good. Seafood in Maine is topnotch. Not a slice of pizza during my trip.

Fusion pasta in Japan is an entirely different story. The Japanese are a discerning people and I can say I enjoyed pizza and spaghetti in Tokyo much much more than elsewhere in Asia.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

You need to go to Pappadeaux
https://files.pappadeaux.com/images/dyn ... u_2618.pdf
Red Lobster is just Mcdonalds with fish.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

bossho wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:48 pm As for who cares what Europeans might think.

N puppy:
I’m still :facepalm: over the concept of an American trying to claim some sort of cultural ownership of pizza over Europeans.

Beeotch Hoe:

You pose a natural question but its a gimme too, had you asked any whiteboy search engine and spent that crucial 7 seconds of self critical time
before assuming you were smart, and you may well be smart but as many smarties all too often do, you assumed it

this is off acme search engine for example when asked if pissa was ever really popular in Europe at all before new blood from the foot in the boot humped over to the new land:

"Pizza Spreads Around the World
I wasn’t talking about the historical evolution of pizza, I was talking about ludicrous it is to claim the kind of cultural ownership to the level that a European isn’t even allowed an opinion on pizza. It’s ironic that your response was to double down on it. Grow up.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Nerdlinger,
My response was emotional and double downed because this thread turned into a hate America and Americans field day all due to pizza franchises, sometimes I'll blow that stuff off and sometimes I won't. I am feeling all grown up. In the Modern Era, Europeans do not have the history with this food that Americans do, it appears to me that this food was largely forgotten except for pockets of impoverished Southern Italians that came to the USA in the late 19th century. Even then it did not gain much popularity. It looks like the returned GI crews from WWII really invigorated this 'za popularity, that and the record suburbanization that was taking place in America created a market for chains and you get Pizza Slut and all the others to follow.

I was out of line with my shot at all of Europe. I think I said so once, but apologies to the readership for that anger seeping into this seemingly benign topic. My admonishment to all Europeans was simply misplaced, next time I'll just hit directly where I see wrong instead of cloaking it underneath all that cheese and religiosity. I did a fair amount of self fun making throughout my additions to this thread but best thoughts are always first thing in the morning for me, there was no call for what I wrote. I'll also apologize for being hard to follow as I juggled away my true thoughts on what someone else had written about my home country, the United States.

Oh, and Red Lobster sucks and always has but I think all of you knew that already.

Better day today.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

nemo wrote:You need to go to Pappadeaux
https://files.pappadeaux.com/images/dyn ... u_2618.pdf
Been to Pappa’s seafood once. Pappa’s BBQ is just bought out BBQ chain slapped with the Pappa’s name. Pappadeux charges a lot more. Plus there aren’t any nearby where I live.

Red Lobster is known for the cheapest seafood.
“nemo” wrote:Red Lobster is just Mcdonalds with fish.
McDonalds is much tastier than Red Lobster any day. McDonald’s food isn’t frozen from the boat weeks out at sea. Even their Filet-O-Fish tastes better.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bossho wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:31 am
My response was emotional and double downed because this thread turned into a hate America and Americans field day.....
Where exactly did that happen? I thought I was following the thread but it seems I have missed something?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Exactly?.....No, ain't falling for it..... Not seeing it makes you look more insensitive and besides, we should push on instead of check back and heed this Socratic query from a wise man that once said to me, "Let's say you are walking down the street one day and you see a twenty dollar bill in a pile of dog shit, what would do you do?"
Last edited by bossho on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

"Let's say you are walking down the street one day and you see a twenty dollar bill in a pile of dog shit what do you do?"
Steal the dog and feed him good until he starts shitting hundreds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic