Papa John's Pizza Now in Phnom Penh

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Papa John's Pizza Now in Phnom Penh

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:02 pm
I have always been puzzled why they set up in Northern France. The unions and labour laws, the French distaste for all things fast and processed food wise, their very rich cinematic heritage that jars with all things Disney, the language barrier and the general vulgarity of the whole thing. It seems such a miss-match. And who goes there? Do people really travel across the world to go to Euro Disney?

The UK was surely a better bet and we would of definitely eaten a satisfactory daily food tonnage.
From Wikipedia:
Following the success of Disneyland in California, top to the plans to build a similar theme park in Europe emerged in 1966 with sites in Frankfurt, Paris, London or Milan under consideration. Under the leadership of E. Cardon Walker, Tokyo Disneyland opened in 1983 in Japan with instant success, forming a catalyst for international expansion. In late 1984 the heads of Disney's theme park division, Dick Nunis and Jim Cora, presented a list of approximately 1,200 possible European locations for the park. Britain, France, Italy and Spain were all considered. However, Britain and Italy were dropped from the list due to both lacking a suitable expanse of flat land. By March 1985, the number of possible locations for the park had been reduced to four; two in France and two in Spain. Both nations saw the potential economic advantages of a Disney theme park and offered competing financing deals to Disney.

Both Spanish sites were located near the Mediterranean and offered a subtropical climate similar to Disney's parks in California and Florida. Disney had asked each site to provide average temperatures for every month for the previous 40 years, which proved a complicated endeavour as none of the records were computerised and were registered on paper. The site in Pego, Alicante became the front-runner, but the location was controversial as it would have meant the destruction of Marjal de Pego-Oliva marshlands, a site of natural beauty and one of the last homes of the almost extinct Samaruc or Valencia Toothcarp, so there was some local outcry among environmentalists. Disney had also shown interest in a site near Toulon in southern France, not far from Marseille. The pleasing landscape of that region, as well as its climate, made the location a top competitor for what would be called Euro Disneyland. However, shallow bedrock was encountered beneath the site, which would have rendered construction too difficult. Finally, a site in the rural town of Marne-la-Vallée was chosen because of its proximity to Paris and its central location in Western Europe. This location was estimated to be no more than a four-hour drive for 68 million people and no more than a two-hour flight for a further 300 million.

Initial hopes were that each visitor would spend around US$33 per day, but near the end of 1992, analysts found spending to be around 12% lower. Efforts to improve attendance included serving alcoholic beverages with meals inside the Euro Disneyland park, in response to a presumed European demand, which began 12 June 1993.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Pizza Day, Laszlo Hanyecz agreed to pay 10,000 Bitcoins for two delivered Papa John's pizzas,
So they must be OK,

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/a-%2420 ... 2020-12-02
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:14 pm
truffledog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:54 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:16 am What's the deal with this place? Pizza Chains are generally crap. I hope this one is better.
I am sorry to tell that it is more of the same crap. But million of americans cant be wrong right? Yes they can.
Err, didn't you guys invent the crap in the first place?

If you ask the average american..no. Pizza Hut did. According to Wiki Papa Johns founder was John Schnatter..you would not find ONE soul with such a family name here in Italy. A no such thing as a dipping sauce when ordering any pizza here.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

truffledog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:56 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:14 pm
truffledog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:54 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:16 am What's the deal with this place? Pizza Chains are generally crap. I hope this one is better.
I am sorry to tell that it is more of the same crap. But million of americans cant be wrong right? Yes they can.
Err, didn't you guys invent the crap in the first place?

If you ask the average american..no. Pizza Hut did. According to Wiki Papa Johns founder was John Schnatter..you would not find ONE soul with such a family name here in Italy. A no such thing as a dipping sauce when ordering any pizza here.
I’ll pass on the Papa. I used to love it, but the man himself became a politicized idiot. I’d rather buy local.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I had a papa John’s pizza once, which was enough to not bother twice. At least out of choice. It was generic. Same same, average, doesn’t seem to quite get the point.

Fortunately, As we live so close to Romano’s on St19, and their prices are good, I’ll not be finding any need for Papa John’s.

Shameless plug for Romano’s- (as a balance to the Harry’s based optimism) Good pizza, good price, pleasant staff. And and about 3 minutes walk if I navigate the stairs slowly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:35 pm I had a papa John’s pizza once, which was enough to not bother twice. At least out of choice. It was generic. Same same, average, doesn’t seem to quite get the point.

Fortunately, As we live so close to Romano’s on St19, and their prices are good, I’ll not be finding any need for Papa John’s.

Shameless plug for Romano’s- (as a balance to the Harry’s based optimism) Good pizza, good price, pleasant staff. And and about 3 minutes walk if I navigate the stairs slowly.
Been my regular weekly pizza fix for several years..very consistent :thumb:
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

the problem with american pizza chains is the same as with a lot of american food generally
take something good
add more of it
and something else good
and something else
and one more thing

it's gotta be even better, right?

monstra mihi bona!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I had a piece of pepperoni pizza looking at the piza once , no dipping sauce
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Is Katy Perry pizza still going?
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

quote: JUDGEDREDD
"Is Katy Perry pizza still going?"

Yes, of course, Judge, Katy Perry is active and I find it good enough. More importantly, the location is abundant with convenience factors both social and logistic. I have done some very brief teachings at Miss Perry's in Pizza basics, like the importance of tomatoes in tomato sauce and also the grave necessity of The Six Mandatory Spices for a proper sauce.

In regards to this thread and the comments hereto, the lowdown on Papa Johns follows; The founder, Papa John....? Who cares about his creepy politics and private investing to the franchise stock that allegedly pays 18-25% per annum. This is a thread about Pizza and this is the single most important thread I've seen in recent times here. It rivals the month ago thread on the lucky ring pull question.

Central to this thread is the adequacy of this pie and the bottom line is this; Papa John's is more than a decent feed, and I am speaking from likely the most qualified background amongst the gentle readers here.

Papa John's is consistent around the world, it does not change the style to favor local tastes. Anyone who has ever spent as short as one weekend in Korea can
speak to what happens when you go into a place with your food and cave to what the locals want.

I will add that the Papa J product is best enjoyed with ample table salt, red pepper flakes and generous buttery dipping sauce for the crusts.

I do enjoy the pepperoncini s served gratis with each pie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic