Alcohol Sales Banned/No dining-in - PP

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Re: Alcohol Sales Banned/No dining-in - PP

Post by Jack.R. »

I was near the royal palace last night and the Police rolled up in force to shut down the open bars.
But seemed that you could go around without restrictions and they just targeted bars.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jack.R. wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:54 am I was near the royal palace last night and the Police rolled up in force to shut down the open bars.
But seemed that you could go around without restrictions and they just targeted bars.
I heard that a few bars in street 5 and 118 (The Office) were open. Clearly not restaurants. I am sure a few will chance their arm at first. The trouble will come is if there is widespread flouting and they just close them all again.
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Josideb »

560 new cases today. Numbers going up again. 2nd lockdown coming soon.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Josideb wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:46 pm 560 new cases today. Numbers going up again. 2nd lockdown coming soon.
The increases are in the provinces though, e.g. 99 cases in Bavet yesterday. If they keep rolling out vaccinations in PP it'll continue to drop in the city. If there are any flare ups in hot spots those areas could go red again... just have to wait and see. Big test will be the markets reopening tomorrow.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:35 pm Big test will be the markets reopening tomorrow.
Anecdotal but Mrs Cargo was saying that she heard from talking to some sellers recently that they will be reorganising the Kandal market such that sellers will be more spaced apart from each other. The authorities apparently made decisions about which sellers are allowed in and where. Dunno how that worked in practice coz that would mean some previous sellers would miss out.

Anyway, I guess we'll find out tomorrow but sounds like the markets won't be quite the same anymore.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:09 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:35 pm Big test will be the markets reopening tomorrow.
Anecdotal but Mrs Cargo was saying that she heard from talking to some sellers recently that they will be reorganising the Kandal market such that sellers will be more spaced apart from each other. The authorities apparently made decisions about which sellers are allowed in and where. Dunno how that worked in practice coz that would mean some previous sellers would miss out.

Anyway, I guess we'll find out tomorrow but sounds like the markets won't be quite the same anymore.
Hmmm, formerly 500 pitches at $2 a day = $1000 a day

Now 250 pitches at $5 a day = $1250 a day.

$250 a day for the Police to go around the nearby streets and drive away all fly-pitchers with their carts who used to have a pitch in the market but now don't.

Those carts that come around the streets or are on the corners are doing well and provide good choice and convenience. I wonder if they will be left alone to get on with it.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:09 pm
I recall when they introduced it here, we were bombarded with Ganzberg advertising...they must have spent heaps on just on that..

It markets itself as a 'premium German beer' :ROFL:
Driving from Kampot to PP, the proliferation of Ganzberg signage was abundant.
Every buidling that could conceivably ever sell a can of beer had a large Ganzberg sign planted into the ground close to the road. Some had mini-billboards that needed two or even three stanchions. Every one had the owner's name in Khmer and his telephone numbers. Some have photos of three cnuts wearing Arsenal FC shirts.
As Kampot provice gives way to Takeo province, the proliferation continues, but further north Road 3 becomes the border of Kampong Speu and Takeo. Sure enough, there was now a proliferation of empty red frames on the left side of the road but on the right side it was the same as before. After a while, Kg Speu curves off to the left and the awful double-sided ugliness continues.
The Ganzberg signs mostly look newish, not faded like the Anchor and Cambodia ones (these only form about 5% of the total), so they have obviously been blitzing. It is invasive and merits regulation purely on aesthetic grounds, never mind the health issues.
The Anchor and Cambodia ones on the left side have not been reduced to empty frames, they either have blacked out (or redded out) the company name but left the rest intact, or they have been left untroubled. So I would say the authorities have taken particular umbrage to the Ganzberg blitzkrieg. The other beer companies, who have much smaller signs, must be pissed off that their pretty reasonable signage has been affected.
I applaud the work of the Kg Speu authorities and look forward to the other provinces doing the same.
BTW, I was told that the businesses usually don't receive any rent, they just get an allocation of beer.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:14 pm
BTW, I was told that the businesses usually don't receive any rent, they just get an allocation of beer.
They also pay the sign tax.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:21 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:14 pm
They also pay the sign tax.
Interesting. You mean the local business pays it or Ganzberg pays? Do you know how much that is?
Presumably they stop paying when the sign gets reduced to an empty frame?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The business usually pays it, but the beer company pays it if they put it up.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic