Funniest news I've seen for ages

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Funniest news I've seen for ages

Post by verdebandit »

This moves kampot way up my interest list. I'm so sick of having to deal with smoke almost everywhere I eat and drink in pp.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kampotians should get behind this great initiative.
Think about it. No Chinese will ever go there!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Newinkow wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:13 am Isn't Kampot town known as the weed culture haven? Last time i was there, saw a lot of people of all age openly smoking weed everywhere; on patios of restaurants, inside bars and public places. That's why Kampot town has the reputation as a sleepy lay back pot friendly destination.

Also a majority of the Chinese from China are heavy smokers. I don't think they would be to thrilled with a smoke free zone.

If this new law is enforced, I think it will have a negative affect on tourism for Kampot. Instead of a positive one.
this, so true, usually went into Kampot at least once a week for shopping and a decent meal ( Kep had neither)
every time i'd be in a restaurant, ( some more than others) someone would be smoking cigs and or pot
passing a law in Kampot making it illegal, wont be enforced at all
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

A smoker was here enjoying one's self , and now a worker is having to clean all the nicotine and thc off the ceiling before painting it. You get to thinking the colour of the tiles is the natural colour until you clean one spot and presto,, there is a whole new life under all that smoke stain.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's years of smoking.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Promoting Smoke-Free Tourism
AKP Phnom Penh, January 20, 2023 --

Ministry of Tourism has set guidelines for the establishment of smoke-free tourism city to discourage the harm of tobacco products in Cambodia.

The recent introduction of the guidelines on the establishment of a smoke-free tourism city will strengthen the implementation of minimum standard operating procedures on smoke-free tourism through engagement of municipal, district and Khan administrations.

H.E. Hor Sarun, Secretary of State at the Ministry of Tourism, expected that the guidelines will contribute positively to health, economy, society and the environment.

The Ministry of Tourism has disseminated and raised awareness of laws and regulations related to the control of tobacco products among tourism businesses, he said.

He added that the Ministry of Tourism has also presented awards and recognition to tourism service businesses that have excelled in implementing a smoke-free environment.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

45 seconds ago - BREAKING NEWS
Kampot designated as no-smoking tourist destination
Visitors to Kampot will be enable to enjoy activities without being assailed by tobacco smoke after the Mayor of Kampot confirmed that the city has been designated as a no-smoking tourist destination

On February 23, 2023, at Srah Chhouk Resort, Kampot City, the city administration announced a campaign under the theme “Together we reduce and eliminate the use of all kinds of tobacco for a city without smoking”

The campaign involves citizens, officials, departments, units, forces and district authorities throughout the city.

Kampot Mayor Leang Roeun Sothy confirmed that Kampot had recently been designated as a no-smoking tourist destination.
He clarified that this meant that it is not forbidden to smoke, but smokers must smoke in a place that does not affect others.
- Khmer Times
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Marx
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Marx »

Let's hope that Kampot enforces this from the top, leaving it up to the restaurateurs doesn't work. Non-smokers complain about the smokers, smokers (especially the Europeans, who can't smoke almost anywhere public in their own countries) complain even if they are only made to sit outside, it's a lose-lose situation. This town was supposed to be non-smoking for a while, and the police wanted to enforce this by fining the restaurant owners if they saw any customers smoking on the premises, that was a low point. I used to smoke, haven't for 10 years now, and have become radicalised on the issue, but if you run a restaurant you do need to get bums on seats, especially since tourism isn't exactly booming, post-covid. Good luck, Kampot!
Revolutions have all shown that many things can be changed, with the exception of people themselves.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic