Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth, has died

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth, has died

Post by John Bingham »

atst wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:56 pm An amazing life lived though so many historic events R.I.P
I've just been reading up on the family background, his mother was an incredible character:
She died at Buckingham Palace on 5 December 1969. She left no possessions, having given everything away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_ ... Battenberg
Silence, exile, and cunning.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

As a citizen of a former British Colony, I can only say Rest in Peace Prince Philip you will be fondly remembered. And to the Queen, Love Live the Queen.

Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

I hope those backstabbers don't try n crash the funeral.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Stiliko wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:15 pm I hope those backstabbers don't try n crash the funeral.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Stiliko wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:15 pm I hope those backstabbers don't try n crash the funeral.
Strangely enough, I was having very similar thoughts immediately after the news broke earlier today.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

It would seem that Harry is preparing to return to the UK for the funeral a week tomorrow. All the news, obviously, is whether that deranged simpleton will accompany him 🙄
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Yerg wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:26 am It would seem that Harry is preparing to return to the UK for the funeral a week tomorrow. All the news, obviously, is whether that deranged simpleton will accompany him 🙄
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/3f75b28e-3 ... bb04699bc5
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Yawn. Another 'inherited wealth and privelege' parasite gone. One down, so many more to go. The poms whinge about it, but they love having a foot on their necks.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

More quotes:
ON STATE VISITS
'You look like you're ready for bed!'

To the President of Nigeria, wearing traditional robes, in 2003.

'Do you still throw spears at each other?

To Aboriginal leader William Brin in Queensland, 2002.

You managed not to get eaten then?'

To a British student trekking in Papua New Guinea, during an official visit in 1998.

'Aren't most of you descended from pirates?'

In the Cayman Islands, 1994.

'I'll tell you a secret — we're all Christians!'

To the Roman Catholic bishop of Malta in 2015

ON EUROPE
'I would like to go to Russia very much — although the bastards murdered half my family.'

In 1967, when asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union.

'It's a vast waste of space.'

To guests at the opening of a new £18m British Embassy in Berlin in 2000.

'You can't have been here that long — you haven't got a pot belly.'

To a British tourist during a tour of Budapest in 1993.

ON SCOTLAND
'How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?'

To a Scottish driving instructor in 1995.

'It looks as though it was put in by an Indian.'

His verdict on a messy-looking fuse box on a tour of a Scottish factory in 1999. He later explained: 'I meant to say cowboys. I just got my cowboys and Indians mixed up.'

ON CHINA
'Ghastly.'

Verdict on Beijing in 1986.

'If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it.'

To a meeting of the World Wildlife Fund in 1986.

'If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes.'

To a British student on a visit to China in 1986.

ON MULTICULTURAL BRITAIN
'There's a lot of your family in tonight.'

After noticing business leader Atul Patel's name badge during a reception for 400 influential British Indians in 2009.

'The Philippines must be half empty — you're all here running the NHS.'

To a Filipino nurse in Luton in 2015.

ON FOOD AND DRINK
'Get me a beer. I don't care what kind it is, just get me a beer!'

On being offered fine Italian wines in Rome in 2000.

'Don't feed your rabbits pawpaw fruit — it acts as a contraceptive. Then again, it might not work on rabbits.'

To a Caribbean rabbit breeder in Anguilla in 1994
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Not sure if this is ROFL or sadly desperate... :?

Island of Tanna tribe that treated Prince Philip as a god now expected to worship Charles
Prince of Wales already has a shrine in one of the villages
Liam James
8 hours ago

The South Pacific tribe that saw Prince Philip as a living god will likely turn to worship Prince Charles, a leading anthropologist has said.

A group of villagers on the tiny island of Tanna in the Vanuatu archipelago believe the Duke of Edinburgh had descended from their spiritual ancestors and worshipped him, praying that he would one day return to bring prosperity to the village.

As news of his passing reaches the island, they will respond with dances and ritual wailing, along with a ceremonial drink, said Kirk Huffman, an anthropologist who is familiar with what is known as the Prince Philip Movement.

“I imagine there will be some ritual wailing, some special dances. There will be a focus on the men drinking kava – it is the key to opening the door to the intangible world,“ Mr Huffman told the Telegraph.

“On Tanna it is not drunk as a means of getting drunk. It connects the material world with the non-material world.”

When Prince Charles visited the island in 2018, he was appointed honorary chief and drank kava, a mixture of water and the crushed roots of the kava plant, from a coconut.

Mr Huffman, who is honorary curator of Vanuatu’s national museum, said one villager kept the coconut from which Charles drank and said he would build a shrine to it.

“So a connection was made between Tanna and Charles,” he said, “I suspect the beliefs of the islanders will continue with Prince Charles.”

The worship of Prince Philip is thought to have begun in 1950s or 1960s, but was bolstered after he visited Vanuatu in 1974 alongside the Queen. The movement is based in the villages of Yakel and Yaohnanen.

“One of the oarsmen taking them ashore was a chap from Tanna called Chief Jack,” former Buckingham Palace spokesperson Dickie Arbiter told the New York Post. “He thought Philip was a warrior from a long time ago who had come down from the mountains and gone off to England in search of a bride.”

“From the believers’ point of view, he is not English but from their island,” Mr Huffman said. “The original spirit of which he is in the process of recycling is one of their own people.”

“They explain his light skin with a story that says he rolled on a coral reef and it shredded off his black skin and left him white,” he said.

Hopes that Prince Philip would one day return had already been dampened in 2017, when he stepped down from royal duties.

Jack Malia, the village chief, said the Duke had promised he would one day return.

“Prince Philip has said one day he will come and visit us,” Mr Malia told Reuters in 2017. “We still believe that he will come but if he doesn’t come, the pictures that I am holding... it means nothing.”

“If he comes one day the people will not be poor, there will be no sickness, no debt and the garden will be growing very well,” he said.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/au ... 29385.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic