Beware of the stealth suspension of happy hour

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Beware of the stealth suspension of happy hour

Post by Pedrazo »

I went into my local for a few beers yesterday I’ve been going there for years.

They have had 75 cent draft beer happy hour from 3pm until 7pm for as long as I can remember.

I drank eight beers yesterday between 4-7 and get a bill for ... $12????

I asked why and they said no more happy hour because the bar closes at 7:30 and now they have many customers before 7pm. They said when the curfew then happy hour until 7pm will resume.

I asked why they didn’t tell me before I ordered and they just shrugged their shoulders. I asked if they would let me pay the happy hour price just this one time since I didn’t know, and they said no.

Beware!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Beware of the stealth suspension of happy hour

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Lol
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Lol
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Unhappy hour starts at 7! :(
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Not all bars are withdrawing their Happy Hour 75c beer until 7pm, 7 days a week.

That's all I am saying... :wink:
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

How do you get to the point that you care about "Happy Hours"? I mean if you're trying to squeeze that last bit of beer out & save $0.50, surely you have bigger problems that demand your focus?

It's a bit like when women get all excited about 50% discounts on a $1000 handbag (that cost $50 to make) - you're not saving $500, you're spending $500.

That said, the world does tend to look better through beer goggles, so I'm on the fence on this one ... when needs must I suppose.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Pedrazo wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:00 am I went into my local for a few beers yesterday I’ve been going there for years.

They have had 75 cent draft beer happy hour from 3pm until 7pm for as long as I can remember.

I drank eight beers yesterday between 4-7 and get a bill for ... $12????

I asked why and they said no more happy hour because the bar closes at 7:30 and now they have many customers before 7pm. They said when the curfew then happy hour until 7pm will resume.

I asked why they didn’t tell me before I ordered and they just shrugged their shoulders. I asked if they would let me pay the happy hour price just this one time since I didn’t know, and they said no.

Beware!
Happy hour signs still up? If not, not sure I see the issue. If they are still up, then yes, not good at all.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

Pedrazo wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:00 am I drank eight beers yesterday between 4-7 and get a bill for ... $12????
*clutching pearls
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

All my beers are under 50¢ , I get a case of 24 for $3.00
If I go out I only buy top shelf brand cocktails off the drink menu .
Too old to risk headaches , falling down is preferable .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

God, I'm in the wrong place. $12 for 8 beers seems pretty happy to me, 75 cents a beer seems like ecstatic hour.

How is Cambodian beer anyway, say as compared to Thai Singha or Tiger beer?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic