Beware of the stealth suspension of happy hour

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Beware of the stealth suspension of happy hour

Post by jaynewcastle »

Hopefully the OP can find a new local bar, where they still can get as much 75c beer as they want. I can imagine the expression on their face when they got the bill however

Can you imagine the number of complaints by members on here, if all the bars followed suit & got rid of the Happy Hour beer :(

I remember sitting in a beach bar one afternoon on Otres beach several years ago now, when a large group of young travellers came in, and quickly left when they found out the beer was a $1. They went up the beach to another bar where it was 50c instead :)

We're all on different budgets at the end of the day & want value for money
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

Random Dude wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:10 pm God, I'm in the wrong place. $12 for 8 beers seems pretty happy to me, 75 cents a beer seems like ecstatic hour.

How is Cambodian beer anyway, say as compared to Thai Singha or Tiger beer?
I find cambodian beer superior to thai beer in general. However it is up to you what you prefer.

Might I suggest a trip to both places for a fact finding mission in the future?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Tommie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:17 pm
Random Dude wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:10 pm God, I'm in the wrong place. $12 for 8 beers seems pretty happy to me, 75 cents a beer seems like ecstatic hour.

How is Cambodian beer anyway, say as compared to Thai Singha or Tiger beer?
I find cambodian beer superior to thai beer in general. However it is up to you what you prefer.

Might I suggest a trip to both places for a fact finding mission in the future?
I've been to Thailand lots of times and extensively researched the beer situation there, I'd probably be continuing my research in Cambodia now if the covid hadn't come along... hopefully in the future though. The reason I asked was, when you read about beer that cheap you start to wonder about the quality but if it's at least as good as Thai beer -if not better- that's good enough for me.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

atst wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:59 pm
fsdfdsdf wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:38 pm The issue is not the money but that they are scamming. At the least desperate. Better to take your custom elsewhere
Good business practice scam your regulars for a few cents so they don't come back. :please:

And $1:50 for a beer is alot, enough to scare me away.
[/quote}

I am sure there are a bunch of places the balloon chasers can go for 75c beers still? Must be a bunch of desparate bar owners happy to give beer away. Given it costs them about 40c a pour, seems like a great business model :cry:
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Random Dude wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:37 pm The reason I asked was, when you read about beer that cheap you start to wonder about the quality but if it's at least as good as Thai beer -if not better- that's good enough for me.
It's not really about quality - Thai beer is just heavily taxed. I think Singha and Leo are okay but Chang is awful stuff.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:02 pm
Random Dude wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:37 pm The reason I asked was, when you read about beer that cheap you start to wonder about the quality but if it's at least as good as Thai beer -if not better- that's good enough for me.
It's not really about quality - Thai beer is just heavily taxed. I think Singha and Leo are okay but Chang is awful stuff.
Ah, taxes. Yeah that would make sense. I used to like Chang beer but now it gives me a vicious headache everytime I drink it, maybe elephants are pissing in the river above the brewery or something.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

Where I live a beer is 3 USD in the supermarket and a pint will run you 10 USD in a bar.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Tommie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:54 pm Where I live a beer is 3 USD in the supermarket and a pint will run you 10 USD in a bar.
The opposite of happy hours...

Unhappy lives.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

If you're totally price-focused, can't you go to bet gardens where jugs of Anchor are 10,000r? That works out to about 0.75 per glass. Some of those places are quite nice but chugging a jug on your Jack before it goes flat can be a route to an early bath... which under the current circumstances might be just fine.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

If they still had signs about for happy hour I’d be annoyed and complain.

If they removed signs and I was a regular, it’d be nice if they told me but best to manage expectations of local wait staff.

The dollar amount isn’t a factor so long as your charged the advertised price.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic