Posters who are just here to shit on Cambodia.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Posters who are just here to shit on Cambodia.

Post by mannanman »

hanno wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:37 pm I don't have the same kitchen here like I do in SR. In SR, I made all my burgers from scratch: homemade bun, homemade pickles, homemade sauces. OK, I did not slaughter the cow or make the cheese....
But you did make and forge the knives and create the chopping boards from the finest of woods.
People of the world, spice up your life.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

hanno wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:30 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:50 pm
mannanman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:22 pm Not likely to happen until at least Q4 22 when they open up for tourists/expats, if ever.
I was given to understand that the 22q4 date was a misreporting that got corrected to 21q4?
Unlikely. Numbers are going up everywhere.
That's as maybe, but it doesn't change the fact that 22Q4 was never the actual target date. It didn't even pass the sniff test - why be so specific as "Q4" for a date so far in the future, given how many unknowns there are?

I've tried finding the source for that original 22Q4 claim but it looks like it's been taken down or corrected in-place. But what I have found is all these articles from the past few weeks:

Xinhua: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/asiapa ... 120713.htm says,
Tourism ministry's secretary of state and spokesman Top Sopheak said the significant decline in the number of foreign visitors was due to the COVID-19 pandemic that had forced the kingdom to suspend tourist visas to all foreign citizens since March last year.

"We hope that Cambodia will be able to reopen its door to vaccinated tourists by the end of this year after the country has achieved herd immunity," he told Xinhua on Wednesday.
Phnom Penh Post: https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... ning-sight is from 4 days ago and contains this:
...Cambodia readies to open its doors to welcome international visitors fully-vaccinated against the novel coronavirus in the fourth quarter.
Khmer Times: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50902105/k ... -november/
The source stressed that while the government is optimistically eying a reopening by November, a more reasonable expectation is for some time in December or early 2022.

Edited to add: I found the link to the Khmer Times 22Q4 claim in the first post of the thread at the-road/cambodia-reopen-tourists-t45880.html, and the Khmer Times page has indeed been pulled and now returns a 404 error.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Lost50 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:41 pm
hanno wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:37 pm I don't have the same kitchen here like I do in SR. In SR, I made all my burgers from scratch: homemade bun, homemade pickles, homemade sauces. OK, I did not slaughter the cow or make the cheese....
And no disrespect but I bet they suck. You're all proud you made everything even the buns but what I expect is every part of the burger lacked something. Leave the buns to bakers/bakeries & focus on your patty.
Far better than some shit show of you being all proud to have made all the burger COMPONENTS in some shitty hovel.
All proud? No. Were my buns better than anything I could find in Siem Reap? A resounding yes.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

mannanman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:22 pm Not likely to happen until at least Q4 22 when they open up for tourists/expats, if ever.
I was given to understand that the 22q4 date was a misreporting that got corrected to 21q4?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:59 am
Yes, I was wrong though I do not see people rushing to Cambodia just yet, seeing how most other countries still have restrictions in place. As long as neighbouring countries don't open up; there won't be much interest in going to Cambodia.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

mannanman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:24 pm
But you did make and forge the knives and create the chopping boards from the finest of woods.
Of course, I'm sure he would have.

However, if he is too dam lazy to prepare the ingredience himself, after a bit of hog roping and a quick rope and tie down, then I would imagine he purchased his apron, ready-made.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:16 am
nerdlinger wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:59 am
Yes, I was wrong though I do not see people rushing to Cambodia just yet, seeing how most other countries still have restrictions in place. As long as neighbouring countries don't open up; there won't be much interest in going to Cambodia.
I reckon there are plenty of expats that have been hanging out in Thailand for 18 months that will be coming here just for a change of scene. Plus plenty of people from Europe escaping the winter and a fourth wave that threatens to have their freedoms curtailed once again.

Cambodia finally smartened up: zero quarantine, rapid airport tests and now the ability to convert a Tourist visa into a 1 year EB/ER visa in country. Easy to get in - easy to stay in. And no testing once you're here, which is a problem in Thailand if the reports are true.

Phnom Penh (Riverside) is starting to look like it was before, in terms of activity. I have seen 3 old faces in the last 2 days that have suddenly reappeared, and I know for sure that two have just arrived. I expect to see a whole lot more in the coming weeks/months.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Above dont count on it,
RE Thailand:
new requirements that one must have insurance to enter thailand will keep many expats from leaving thailand as they dont currently have insurance. I personally know a few that wont leave till they get rid of this requirement>
although easy to enter Cambodia, still hoops to jump thru to return back to thailand>

As to europeans, cant see them travelling to Cambodia if that is the only country they can easily visit in SE Asia>

maybe early next year things will change.

MY opinion
ALSO: if Cambodia is thinking they will get the arrival's traveling to thailand, ( GOV’T: 50,000 TRAVELERS ENTERED THAILAND since the country formally reopened to tourists on Nov. 1 — making up half of all reported arrivals throughout the year 2021.)
They wont as most people book r/t tickets ( and many believe the majority of those 50,000 are expats thta have stayed away and or thai's returning to thailand) and they wont want to go thru the hassle to re enter thailand after a short visit to Cambodia>>

How many travellers have arrived in Cambodia since they relaxed entry?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:21 pm Above dont count on it,
RE Thailand:
new requirements that one must have insurance to enter thailand will keep many expats from leaving thailand as they dont currently have insurance. I personally know a few that wont leave till they get rid of this requirement>
although easy to enter Cambodia, still hoops to jump thru to return back to thailand>

As to europeans, cant see them travelling to Cambodia if that is the only country they can easily visit in SE Asia>

maybe early next year things will change.

MY opinion
ALSO: if Cambodia is thinking they will get the arrival's traveling to thailand, ( GOV’T: 50,000 TRAVELERS ENTERED THAILAND since the country formally reopened to tourists on Nov. 1 — making up half of all reported arrivals throughout the year 2021.)
They wont as most people book r/t tickets ( and many believe the majority of those 50,000 are expats thta have stayed away and or thai's returning to thailand) and they wont want to go thru the hassle to re enter thailand after a short visit to Cambodia>>

How many travellers have arrived in Cambodia since they relaxed entry?
Give us a chance, it's only been a week.

I take your point about Thailand's other rules of entry, the days of hopping on a $100 flight between BKK and PP without a care in the world (other than BKK's dreaded immigration queues) are a long way off.

As for Europeans, there are plenty of people there who want to be here, and now they can with little effort. Online Visa - no insurance needed - no PCR test and a night in a hotel waiting. Cambodia is a doddle compared with Thailand.

A question for you Richard, can you now transit through Bangkok?
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

On the Cambodia Visa and Work Permit pages, people are posting personal trip reports to Cambodia. OK, not thousands, not hundreds, but foreigners are coming in a regular stream from the US, Russia, Thailand (several from Bangkok), UK and there's even one possible from Australia. I'd bet more and more will come, and that crowd might include me. But I'm waiting to see if Thailand, by the end of this month, changes anything that impacts my re-entry, hopefully something positive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic