Posters who are just here to shit on Cambodia.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Posters who are just here to shit on Cambodia.

Post by phuketrichard »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:53 pm When you are hungry all your life you get the opportunity to taste all those fab real flavours in and around the bones. Something most of us miss out on.
Then you'll never want to throw out all the best bits ever ever again. 'Too good. (let alone learning that meat is precious and you just dan't throw the tastiest and most nutritious bits out with the garbage)

If you are lucky or remote enough to get a reeeeal village chicken - always expensive, always the scrawniest and toughest - you get to remember what chicken really tastes like - like it did when we were kids.
Fab flavour - 'try it some time.

Some people say this kind of attitude is primitive - i'm not so sure.
Maybe i'll ask a Michelin chef what he thinks...
:please:
our village chickens, which the family love
come from the back yard, meat is uneatable gristle an bone
no thanks.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Flavour, Richard, flavour

and romance
remember your tribal roots
....tearing thru flesh and sinew, chomping down on your enemy's bones

I've always said that without that bloody KFC at Bagram we would have eaten the Taliban for breakfast.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Indonesians are the same, love the bones more than the meat, including fish.
Burger King is ok, once every few weeks, same as Carl's Jnr. Plenty of 'gourmet' burger joints for the snobs..The Vine, Cousins', etc.
Chicken. Avoid KFC, way too dry, worst in the region. The new place, Texas, is crap too.
Pizza Company/Hut, ok for those who don't know pizza, (locals). Plenty of pizza joints for us.
Happy eating.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:53 pm If you are lucky or remote enough to get a reeeeal village chicken - always expensive, always the scrawniest and toughest - you get to remember what chicken really tastes like - like it did when we were kids.
Fab flavour - 'try it some time.

Some people say this kind of attitude is primitive - i'm not so sure.
Yes and even lucky enough to have it prepared by a 10 year old boy and his 6 year old sister, right from catching, killing, plucking, lighting the fire and cooking it , all while you're sitting around drinking warm beer with the smell of the pigs living under the house.
A Cambodian experience , privileged to have and remember. Most probably be like that again when I get back in a couple months although the kids a bit older now.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

pissontheroof wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:14 pm If not for Burger King siem reap would be a real shithole !
As it is now tho i can’t eat in because i don’t have a chinese vaccination against the chinese flu .
It’s not as good eating it at home , but it’s the only thing my little one will eat ..
You are joking, right? When I lived in SR, I was not tempted once to set foot in there (I just remembered I went once because some friends wanted to eat there; but I did not eat). Plenty of better places for a burger.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

i don’t have a chinese vaccination against the chinese flu
You are a stable genius
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

For any other antivax recalcitrants: how do you think you will go when your visa EOS is due for renewal?
It may also be difficult to board an aircraft soon for unvaxxed people.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

clutchcargo wrote:Mrs Cargo doesn't seem to mind getting her hands dirty and messing around with bones, shells whatever if the result is it tastes good (watch her devour a crab!). I let her do all that coz I couldn't be bothered if it's a fiddly, laborious affair.
Same with missus. She takes out all the meat - chicken, crab, fish, etc., putting it on my plate, while she munches away on the bones.

Plus she always craves soups as well.

Bless her heart!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:14 pm
clutchcargo wrote:Mrs Cargo doesn't seem to mind getting her hands dirty and messing around with bones, shells whatever if the result is it tastes good (watch her devour a crab!). I let her do all that coz I couldn't be bothered if it's a fiddly, laborious affair.
Same with missus. She takes out all the meat - chicken, crab, fish, etc., putting it on my plate, while she munches away on the bones.

Plus she always craves soups as well.

Bless her heart!
+1 here too, I’m like Jack Sprat.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I remember getting a chicken & bones sandwich at Otres on my 1st visit, thought it must be a local delicacy

A chicken leg chopped up with a cleaver & put in a breadbun

Reminded me of the gristle burgers & pizza's with grated carrot I got in Sri Lanka, a local (unpleasant) version of western fastfood :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic