Curfew News and Updates

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Curfew News and Updates

Post by Doc67 »

It might be useful for people to post their experience with the new 8pm curfew. Details such as roadblock protocols, fines (if any) what you can and can't get away with.

It seems to me that someone, somewhere, is going to learn the hard way as their attitude changes from "education" towards enforcement, and exactly what that entails.

I'll open with last night's experience (taken from another thread)

They are not messing about. I was on Riverside and written notices were served onto Harry's at 7.30pm. Those trucks with cops in the rear were going up and down. We were having a curry on Street 130 at 7.30 and just about got out by 7.50. My usual TUK said go home now, but my mate took him instead to go to the other side of Olympic Stadium area. He was stopped at two separate road blocks but was let through as the TUK told them where he was coming from and going too. A takeaway bag of food wasted waved about which seemed to help.

I got a tuk on Riverside/136 at 8.05, and was lucky to find one. We wove our way through the market on 148 as the police had pitched up at 154/Sisowath Quay.

New home time is 7.30, any later and you might find yourself stranded if you are relying on a tuk, and I don't fancy walking these streets at the moment.

Anyone else got any info about what their attitude is if you are caught out after 8? Did anyone get caught out late?

newsworthy/information-coronavirus-camb ... -1940.html
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Curfew News and Updates

Post by armchairlawyer »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

like keeping the country closed to tourism and allowing hotels to actively rip off quarantine visitors
the government has found a new way to generate income..

64 motorbikes, six cars impounded for curfew violation
Phnom Penh municipal police impounded 65 motorbikes and six cars on April 2 for travelling in violation of the 8pm-5am curfew, with the drivers required to self-quarantine for 14 days at home.

Municipal police spokesman San Sokseyha told The Post on April 3 the vehicles would only be returned after the quarantine.
AT a price i bet :stir:

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... kyxfQeL8PU
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:46 pm like keeping the country closed to tourism and allowing hotels to actively rip off quarantine visitors

64 motorbikes, six cars impounded for curfew violation
Phnom Penh municipal police impounded 65 motorbikes and six cars on April 2 for travelling in violation of the 8pm-5am curfew, with the drivers required to self-quarantine for 14 days at home.

Municipal police spokesman San Sokseyha told The Post on April 3 the vehicles would only be returned after the quarantine.
AT a price i bet :stir:

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... kyxfQeL8PU
Quite a good deterrent, no wheels or work for 2 weeks. That is an unaffordable proposition for many Khmers.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:46 pm like keeping the country closed to tourism and allowing hotels to actively rip off quarantine visitors
It's even worse in Thailand. Check out their idiotic scheme to attract "millions of expats"!
New plan will target retirees and the self-employed across the world to make Thailand their home and base for new business ventures. The plan hopes to attract 1 million per year out of an estimated 200 million worldwide with a monthly income of ฿300,000 to ฿400,000 per month.
So you only need an income of just over $9500 a month to qualify.... :?
https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news- ... -thailand/
Last edited by John Bingham on Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:36 pm It's even worse in Thailand.
phuketrichard:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:36 pm
It's even worse in Thailand. Check out their idiotic scheme to attract "millions of expats"!
New plan will target retirees and the self-employed across the world to make Thailand their home and base for new business ventures. The plan hopes to attract 1 million per year out of an estimated 200 million worldwide with a monthly income of ฿300,000 to ฿400,000 per month.
why 300-400,000 per month if they only need them to spend 100,000 per month Thai thinking

‘These people earn about ฿300,000 to ฿400,000 baht a month. If one million of them are here in Thailand and spend about ฿100,000 a month each, Thailand will get about 1.2 trillion baht a year from them,’ he disclosed.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

atst wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:18 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:36 pm
why 300-400,000 per month if they only need them to spend 100,000 per month Thai thinking

These people earn about ฿300,000 to ฿400,000 baht a month. If one million of them are here in Thailand and spend about ฿100,000 a month each, Thailand will get about 1.2 trillion baht a year from them,’ he disclosed.
Off topic but another 'plan' from the thais..

Why not just make it ฿300,000+? I mean why a range that stops at ฿400,000?

Also, if they're happy with just ฿100,000 spent out of these ฿300,000 to ฿400,000 baht a month, then, why not accept 'these people' that earn just ฿100,000 baht a month and spend nearly all of it? The result is the same , no?

Ah, the logic behind the thai thinking..

ImageImage
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

These people earn about ฿300,000 to ฿400,000 baht a month. If one million of them are here in Thailand and spend about ฿100,000 a month each, Thailand will get about 1.2 trillion baht a year from them,’ he disclosed.
THAICONIMCS
work is for people who cant find truffles
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Thought this thread was going to be about the curfew in Phnom Penh when I opened it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic