Curfew News and Updates

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Re: Curfew News and Updates

Post by beerlaodrinker »

atst wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:19 am I'll say it again,same as what I saw in australia last year ,all the small shops were forced to close with only the big corporations, eg supermarket allowed to operate, read into this what you like but why are you safer in an aircond supermarket than an open market.
Because this is not and never has been about public health policy.
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:05 am
beerlaodrinker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:58 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:57 pm
ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:16 pm Jeez.....Cops Will Cane Lockdown Breakers
But that's ok, because...
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50842778/p ... -children/
April 21, 2021
PP Governor: Police use of whips to enforce lockdown is like “parents disciplining their children”

Phnom Penh governor Khuong Sreng has said that the use of whips or canes by police to enforce the lockdown on citizens who refuse to stay in their homes is warranted and is like “parents disciplining their children”.

His reaction came after photos were widely distributed showing members of the Phnom Penh police being issued with and carrying what appear to be thin rattan or bamboo whips or canes.

The Governor also added that if people still do not listen to the authorities, they will be arrested immediately and processed according to the special Lockdown procedures and fined or imprisoned according to the law.

In addition, Colonel San Sok Seiha, spokesman for the Phnom Penh Municipal Commission, said that from now on authorities will use ‘Hot Dharma’ or “tough education” for people in the Red Zones who violate the lockdown prohibitions.

According to Colonel San Sok Seiha, “Most importantly, the people living in the red and vulnerable areas, which has spread COVID…. We must use hot dharma to help prevent infection…. if he continues to disobey government prohibitions and laws.”

He outlined police strategy as thus: First, police will give the offender a blow with a cane to move them on. For the second offence, a fine will be levied and third time offenders will be sent to court.

He added, for areas that are not at high risk, the authorities will always be understanding and will give education, but still follow the administrative measures of the government, if a citizen continues to violate the ban and the law.
Its a silly and inaccurate article. They are clearly not whips they are using. Whips have a flexible extension that forms a lash in a whipping action, hence whip.
The police in this case are using canes, which are, in effect, the same type of weapon as truncheon used by security guards. It is ridiculous to suggest that Whipping is going on in the streets of Phnom Penh. Caning could be accused, but this also is an exaggeration, as a caning would indicate the person being caned strapped down with bare buttocks, as in the caning punishment in Singapore.
No, this is beating at best, striking with a stick would be the most accurate description. But, of course, that doesn't sell copies of the Khmer Times, does it?
They are not printing any copies at the moment, let alone selling any, it's online only.

Something about a viral outbreak...
Yes, turn of phrase old boy. Should have been about clicks in this new online world. Mea culpa.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

One would hope that the "General" and everyone involved suffer the full weight of the new laws. If they can lock up a couple of blokes drinking and driving then these tossers should face more jail time and fines.
Lets wait and see shall we?

2 star Lieutenant General “smuggled 28 Chinese nationals from Phnom Penh to Svay Rieng”
Khmer Times

General Vong Pisen, Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, has instructed Svay Rieng authorities to take action against two-star military officer Sum Pov, Deputy Chief of the Military Strategy Research Team, after he was implicated in smuggling 28 Chinese nationals from Phnom Penh to Svay Rieng

Sum Pov was arrested by the Svay Rieng Provincial Police on the night of April 21, 2021.

According to a voice message of General Vong Pisen, which was widely shared on social media:

“For Sum Pov, it is legal. I do not understand anything anymore, because this does not respect the rules and violate the law is gone. Ah, follow that, follow the law, no one goes to the pond, those who violate the order of Samdech, I do not accept .”

It appears that Lt. Gen. Sum Pov had earlier been issued with a letter from Lt. Gen. Meas Vanna, Chairman of the Military Strategic Research Team, authorizing him to travel through the capital and provinces from April 1 to May 30, 2021. .

However, he used this authority to attempt to smuggle the 28 Chinese nationals from Phnom Penh to Svay Rieng province.

The two two-star military officers and the 28 Chinese nationals are now being questioned at the Svay Rieng Provincial Police Commissariat.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:20 pm It is understandable that tuktuk drivers do not want to risk losing their vehicles by taking passengers during the lockdown.

Curfew Fines and Tuktuk Confiscated in Phnom Penh
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: According to the police officer stationed at the roundabout at the Chroy Changvar Bridge, a Chinese man and a Cambodian man, a tuk-tuk driver, were arrested for violating the lockdown without a permit.
According to the source, after detaining the Chinese man, the police fined him according to the decision of Phnom Penh Capital Hall and allowed the Chinese man to return to his old place on foot. The police confiscated the evidence for transporting the Chinese man (the tuktuk) and temporarily stored it at the Chroy Changva District Police Inspectorate.
It should be noted that the confiscation of this exhibit was due to the fact that the person concerned (tuktuk driver) did not have the money to pay the fine on the spot, and the authorities gave him 30 days to pay according to the schedule.
UPDATE
Chinese Man Tried to Look Like a Doctor
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): A tuk-tuk driver and a Chinese man who wore a doctor uniform were arrested and were fined 2.5 million riels each, because they disrespected the government measures to prevent the Covid-19 spread.

The police said the tuk-tuk driver took a Chinese man who wore a uniform similar to the doctor on April 21, 2021, at 1:30 pm. The police stopped them asked for the travel document at lockdown control at Chroy Changvar round circle. The police tried to talk to the Chinese man who wore the doctor's uniform, but he didn't talk to them.
Finally, after further questioning, the Chinese man was identified as CAI GUA HUI, a barber working near the Sokha hotel area. He was traveling to meet his friend, without a permit. As a result, the police fined the tuk-tuk driver and the Chinese man 2.5 million riels each. The Chinese man was released after paying the fine. The tuk-tuk driver who wasn't able to pay the fine was sent home, but his tuk-tuk was taken to keep at the police station until the money is paid.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

atst wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:19 am I'll say it again,same as what I saw in australia last year ,all the small shops were forced to close with only the big corporations, eg supermarket allowed to operate, read into this what you like but why are you safer in an aircond supermarket than an open market.
It's all about ventilation. There is much less ventilation and much less room to socially distance in a small shop compared to a large supermarket. Air conditioning also helps to circulate the air I would assume. I listen to UK radio a lot in Cambodia and there are many government ads about coronavirus. One of the main topics is about ventilation and making sure your house is well ventilated all the time.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^It's mostly the case too aid people who are sick, but also for normal living conditions, best to have clean free flowing air. For air conditioning, its good has long has the system is not contaminated.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

xandreu wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:02 pm
It's all about ventilation. There is much less ventilation and much less room to socially distance in a small shop compared to a large supermarket. Air conditioning also helps to circulate the air I would assume. I listen to UK radio a lot in Cambodia and there are many government ads about coronavirus. One of the main topics is about ventilation and making sure your house is well ventilated all the time.
As you say, I would've thought that aircon in a confined space eg small shop much more risky as a spreader. The larger supermarkets less so.

However, the smaller minimarts and large supermarkets I've been into in Daun Penh, usually do a temperature check and spray your hands before entry. Contrast that with the open market Kandal where there was neither.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I wonder if it’s simply perceived as modern air conditioned supermarkets are going to be better disciplined? Maybe a false sense of security, as it maybe assumes a few things, such as

-supermarket staff following the rules
-managers implementing the rules
-Everything being maintained and cleaned properly

There could also be a flawed assumption that cold air is fresh air.

From experience, small family run shops are going to be very casual about many things. I know of one where the owners husband runs a dental practice on one side, in its own little cubicle.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:30 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:20 pm It is understandable that tuktuk drivers do not want to risk losing their vehicles by taking passengers during the lockdown.

Curfew Fines and Tuktuk Confiscated in Phnom Penh
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: According to the police officer stationed at the roundabout at the Chroy Changvar Bridge, a Chinese man and a Cambodian man, a tuk-tuk driver, were arrested for violating the lockdown without a permit.
According to the source, after detaining the Chinese man, the police fined him according to the decision of Phnom Penh Capital Hall and allowed the Chinese man to return to his old place on foot. The police confiscated the evidence for transporting the Chinese man (the tuktuk) and temporarily stored it at the Chroy Changva District Police Inspectorate.
It should be noted that the confiscation of this exhibit was due to the fact that the person concerned (tuktuk driver) did not have the money to pay the fine on the spot, and the authorities gave him 30 days to pay according to the schedule.
UPDATE
Chinese Man Tried to Look Like a Doctor
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): A tuk-tuk driver and a Chinese man who wore a doctor uniform were arrested and were fined 2.5 million riels each, because they disrespected the government measures to prevent the Covid-19 spread.

The police said the tuk-tuk driver took a Chinese man who wore a uniform similar to the doctor on April 21, 2021, at 1:30 pm. The police stopped them asked for the travel document at lockdown control at Chroy Changvar round circle. The police tried to talk to the Chinese man who wore the doctor's uniform, but he didn't talk to them.
Finally, after further questioning, the Chinese man was identified as CAI GUA HUI, a barber working near the Sokha hotel area. He was traveling to meet his friend, without a permit. As a result, the police fined the tuk-tuk driver and the Chinese man 2.5 million riels each. The Chinese man was released after paying the fine. The tuk-tuk driver who wasn't able to pay the fine was sent home, but his tuk-tuk was taken to keep at the police station until the money is paid.
looks to me that the poor touk touk driver was conned,and paying a heavier price 2.5 mil to a chinese is maybe nothing but a lot to the driver
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:02 pm
But to be fair, these were also the people who's initial public health advice last year was to wash your hands with soap and water many times a day while humming the national anthem. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic